The likely end of BB ocbd shirts for me

August West

When I see your handle CSG, I immediate associate it as the guy who takes issue with BB OCBD's, and BB in general. Seems to be of theme of yours. I didn't search old posts, so perhaps those are just the posts that I recall. No disrespect meant whatsoever. My posts (if remembered at all) could likely brand me as an O'Connell's fan boy.

gamma68

Honors Member
For me, the BB OCBD remains the gold standard. It's also just about the only item they offer that attracts my interest, when on sale.

Randy Carson

FWIW-I've purchased two Michael-Spencer shirts so far, and I'm pleased with the quality as well as the personal service provided by the owner with whom I have exchanged several emails.

Last edited:

smmrfld

Elite Member
While I didn't really need any more ocbd shirts, the old style were on sale for a net cost of $57 each in quantities of four. I wear a 17 34 size and prefer the Madison fit. Selection was terribly limited and I was only able to find two shirts in my size. I was able to place two of each in my cart but when I went to check out, I was advised they didn't have two of each, only one. I called and the sales guy was willing to give me the $57 per shirt price seeing as though I couldn't buy four. In addition, I had a $20 gift card so my net cost was $47 each, shipped via ShopRunner and no sales tax.

I'd been told that they were going to keep this previous style along with the new, no pocket $140 shirts (currently $100 on sale) but it appears that's not the case. I've seen the new shirts in the store and was not impressed. While I may have enough shirts stashed to last me the rest of my days, I think BB and I are finally going to have to part company after decades of having been a customer as they're selling less and less of what I want to buy.
Cool story, bro. How many times you gonna tell it?

HOOT

FLMike said:
Cool.

You threatened something similar a year or two ago.

Might want to step away from the computer a bit more.

That's hilarious, coming from the guy who just took the time to write a post informing everyone he won't be buying from BB anymore (and apparently its not the first time either).

gamma68

Honors Member
Gamma, that's the thing. It *was* the gold standard (occasional quality issues notwithstanding) but the new shirts are far from the gold standard by most reviews in spite of removing the interlining in the collar and cuffs (placket too?). However, the material appears to be of a lighter weight and ditching the pocket was a huge mistake. And MoP buttons? Nice but of no interest to most buyers of this style shirt, I suspect. I'm just glad I took advantage of the sales and BB credit card bonus dollars while I had the chance. I've now got enough of the previous ocbd shirts to last me for years (assuming I keep my size!).

So what's your new "gold standard" then?

BB must've been paying some attention to customers by removing the interlinings. We love those unlined collars, right? The lighter material makes the shirt more wearable year 'round. Yes, I wish they had kept the pocket, but I don't miss it when I'm wearing a jacket. Historically, I believe there is precedent for the pocket-less BB OCBD. I could forego the MOP buttons. I've noted some minor quality issues. Yes, it's overpriced. But when on sale, I still think those shirts are a good buy.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not a Brooks fan boy. But I hardly think the current iteration of its OCBD is trash.

FWIW-I've purchased two Michael-Spencer shirts so far, and I'm pleased with the quality as well as the personal service provided by the owner with whom I have exchanged several emails.

I have one Michael Spencer OCBD and agree that it's a very nice shirt. I'd order from them again, for sure. The shirts can also be customized (flap pocket, very specific sleeve lengths, etc.).

Last edited:

gamma68

Honors Member
I'd been told that they were going to keep this previous style along with the new, no pocket $140 shirts (currently $100 on sale) but it appears that's not the case. I've seen the new shirts in the store and was not impressed. While I may have enough shirts stashed to last me the rest of my days, I think BB and I are finally going to have to part company after decades of having been a customer as they're selling less and less of what I want to buy.

I might point out that BB has been phasing out its previous OCBD style for more than a year now. That's not a secret. Where have you been?

gr8w8er

funny to see this post ... I was in OLC today to pick up a Panama. As I was walking back I noticed a Southwick blue blazer ... unmistakable 3 button. Noticed the buttons as BB and asked the owner about it.

"Oops. Missed that one. You know we used to be a distributor of BB. The funny thing is, now that we aren't doing that anymore we're more Brooks Brothers than them. I'll have to remember to take the buttons off that one."

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.