TKI67

Advanced Member
Wearing Nantucket greens, a yellow surcingle belt, and a blue Bean canvas shirt,
Drinking 3:1 Tanq and Dolin martinis,
Listening to Sinatra duets, and
Cooking 375 F oven fries and a nice MR sirloin au poivre (brandy and cream reduction). Dessert will be strawberries with vanilla yoghurt.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Wearing Nantucket greens, a yellow surcingle belt, and a blue Bean canvas shirt,
Cooking 375 F oven fries and a nice MR sirloin au poivre (brandy and cream reduction). Dessert will be strawberries with vanilla yoghurt.
Can we switch lives?

drpeter

If you haven't seen it, there's a great film I can recommend from the old days, starring the late Sir Alec Guinness, on switching lives: The Scapegoat, based on Daphne du Maurier's novel of the same name. An Englishman and a Frenchman meet in s small, crowded bistro in a provincial French city at lunchtime, and discover that they are doubles -- they look exactly like each other. They get drunk together that night, and the next morning, the Englishman wakes up in the Frenchman's hotel room. He is more or less forced to assume the latter's life. He takes on the role, and has to deal with the wreckage that the Frenchman has made of his life, and to sort it all out. It's a quiet film with a surprise ending.

xcubbies

I didn't realize they still made Tang. I wonder if the astronauts made martinis with it.

Andy

Site Creator/ Administrator
Staff member
"...sirloin au poivre (brandy and cream reduction)." AND Black pepper!

David J. Cooper

Orvis Mock neck
Red BB Advantage Chinos
Foot Joy Tradition Golf Shoes then switched to Bean Camp Mocs.
Japanese Curry and rice with pickled vegetables
2017 Carson Pinot Noir
Watching a replay of the Dell Matchplay

Last edited:

drpeter

Actually I tossed both black and green peppercorns into the mortar and pestle, lots of 'em.
Bravo! I was just about to say that the reduction sauce benefits greatly from green peppercorns, and even from the red ones. I have made the same kind of steak you mention, but I use the James Bond method: I marinate the steak in freshly crushed Tellicherry peppercorns* overnight in the fridge, and use a superhot cast iron pan sprinkled with salt to cook the steak the next day. And lately, I've been adding a stick of butter at the end and frying shallots and mushrooms in the intense heat. The smoke alarm goes off, I shut that down, and then I sit down to dinner.

I come from a part of the world (Kerala, India, where Tellicherry is located) that supplied black peppers to ancient Rome and to most other civilizations since then, LOL. My mother's ancestral home had a tropical orchard with pepper vines and cinnamon trees, among other spices. Another world.

*I should add that Bond used Madras peppercorns, which is very close to my preferred variety

Last edited:

TKI67

Advanced Member
Bravo! I was just about to say that the reduction sauce benefits greatly from green peppercorns, and even from the red ones. I have made the same kind of steak you mention, but I use the James Bond method: I marinate the steak in freshly crushed Tellicherry peppercorns overnight in the fridge, and use a superhot cast iron pan sprinkled with salt to cook the steak the next day. And lately, I've been adding a stick of butter at the end and frying shallots and mushrooms in the intense heat. The smoke alarm goes off, I shut that down, and then I sit down to dinner.

I come from a part of the world (Kerala, India, where Tellicherry is located) that supplied black peppers to ancient Rome and to most other civilizations since then, LOL. My mother's ancestral home had a tropical orchard with pepper vines and cinnamon trees, among other spices. Another world.
Tellicherry is my favorite. I salt the steak well an hour or so before cooking. If you have not read it, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat is a must if only for her wisdom on salt. I toss it into a very hot heavy carbon steel pan, sear each side, put a few pats of butter in to do the deep crust on both sides with the pepper corns, douse it in brandy, remove the rare steaks, and add the cream while there's still a tbsp. or two of brandy. Mount the sauce with butter. I think I'll try your way soon.

On the subject of spices and India, The Mistress of Spices was one of my favorite books, and the movie wasn't bad if you can stand two hours of Aishwarya Rai (joking, she is hypnotic).

drpeter

Tellicherry is my favorite. I salt the steak well an hour or so before cooking. If you have not read it, Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat by Samin Nosrat is a must if only for her wisdom on salt. I toss it into a very hot heavy carbon steel pan, sear each side, put a few pats of butter in to do the deep crust on both sides with the pepper corns, douse it in brandy, remove the rare steaks, and add the cream while there's still a tbsp. or two of brandy. Mount the sauce with butter. I think I'll try your way soon.

On the subject of spices and India, The Mistress of Spices was one of my favorite books, and the movie wasn't bad if you can stand two hours of Aishwarya Rai (joking, she is hypnotic).
I love reading Samin Nosrat in the NY Times Sunday Magazine, where she does the food column from time to time. I haven't seen the Mistress of Spices, maybe I'll find it and watch it.

Indeed Aishwarya Rai is lovely. There was an earlier actress named Madhubala, from the fifties, who was considered one of the five loveliest women in the world. LIFE magazine did a photo spread on her. Sadly, she died at 38, from a heart condition that was impossible at the time to remedy. Here she is:
1616706055211.png

TKI67

Advanced Member
Wearing unironed O'Connell's khakis and blue and white university stripe OCBD, navy surcingle belt, and ancient Sperrys.
Drinking a mug of Ruta Maya espresso roast, black.
Listening to Brandenburg concerti.
Just ate avocado on pecan/pumpkin seed/flax seed/molasses whole wheat toast topped with home made harissa, a squeeze of lemon, and Maldon salt.
It's going to be sunny and warm.

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Metamucil looks and tastes like Tang. Don't ask me how I know.
Watched The Avengers. Not the comic book stuff. The John Steed and Emma Peel stuff.
In baggy LL Bean lined chinos and a sweatshirt

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.