Men's Clothing Forums banner

The NakedWatch(TM)

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  petro 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and am searching for some advice. I am a sales representative for the NakedWatch(TM) Co., www.nakedwatch.com, and we are trying to expand our business. We do most of it through our website now, and we are having a really difficult time breaking into the retail market. Though I have made countless phonecalls and sent out packets of information to a large number of retailers it just doesn't seem to be working. Not only do I not get a call back, but sometimes when I call to speak to the same "buyer" I was told to contact the first time, they say that isn't the right person. Can anyone give me some clues as to getting my foot in the door? Any advice would be appreciated.

The NakedWatch(TM) Company

#3 ·
As a new firm, you will continue to have trouble - if not finding it completely impossible - to sell to retailers as long as you market your products direct through your website. Why would they buy from you if you are going to compete with them? This ... and decreasing quality ... is also proving the downfall of the venerable John Smedley. If they can't do it, an upstart will certainly have difficulty.

https://www.CustomShirt1.com

Kabbaz-Kelly & Sons Fine Custom Clothiers
* Bespoke Shirts & Furnishings * Zimmerli Swiss Underwear **
* Alex Begg Cashmere * Pantherella Socks *

#4 ·
I don't know that there are really a lot of retailers who post/read this board, but you might try asking yourself what your target consumer is; and from that figure out what retailers you ought to be going after.

Personally I think your products fall into a difficult category: costly enough that those who don't spend much on watches might balk, but certainly not quality enough for those who appreciate and are willing to buy fine mechanical watches. The watches you compete against, at least in my mind, would be the overpriced "designer" brand watches (Kenneth Cole and the like), which you are ill-equipped to do, not being associated with any such brand. Perhaps you should be looking for retail/branding partners...

------------
cpac

#6 ·
When I first read your post, I was skeptical but after looking, let me just say that I think you sell a great product.

My beater is a skeleton watch from Invicta that I wear with grosgrain straps and I have gotten far more compliments on that watch than on watches that cost, literally 20 times as much. Cheap skeleton watches seem like something people like - from the owner of the watch store I use in So. NYC to the guy at the video store in Jersey City...

Why not try selling them on Amazon. Look at www.timezone.com - they have a nice sales section (just be careful about posting sales info on the regular discussion forums). Especially look at the Poor Man's Watch Forum (just google it - I think it's www.pmwf.com ).

I know zero about retailing so I can't help you there.

What types of movements do you use? ETA or something Chinese-made?

#8 ·
HEY ANDY:

If you ever decide you want to ditch the software Ask Andy runs on (which might be a good way of getting the search function to work), please don't use whatever PMWF is running. It's fargin AWFUL.

quote:Originally posted by Cantabrigian

Why not try selling them on Amazon. Look at www.timezone.com - they have a nice sales section (just be careful about posting sales info on the regular discussion forums). Especially look at the Poor Man's Watch Forum (just google it - I think it's www.pmwf.com ).
The French are a smallish, monkey-looking bunch and not dressed any better, on average, than the citizens of Baltimore. True, you can sit outside in Paris and drink little cups of coffee, but why this is more stylish than sitting inside and drinking large glasses of whiskey I don't know.
P.J. O'Rourke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.