The new fad

Stubbly

Oh, the sweet narcissism of youth. Thanks for the post!

"I got it just to have my own style, bring something new to the table," said Jose Vega, 23, an aspiring Miami rap musician who can be seen sporting a monocle...

Odradek

Elite Member
“You see the monocle appearing in Berlin, parts of South Dublin.”
Coming as I do, from South Dublin, I think it most unlikely.

But isn't Shaver known to sport a monocle on occasion?

But hold on.......
The owner, James Berry, said that his customers include many men in their 40s and 50s who are finding that no amount of squinting with the naked eye enables them to decide if an iPhone emoticon is a nurse or a grinning devil. These wearers can’t bear the thought of soiling their noses with those banners of middle age, drugstore reading glasses
As a recent recipient of reading glasses I do see the advantage of this. So far I have one pair of reading glasses, which live on my desk by the computer. Find I need them more and more for looking at the screen, even though it's 24".
Often when out and about though, I'm finding I can't read things like the ingredients on food packaging, and other small print. Maybe these guys have a point.

Last edited:

Stubbly

Often when out and about though, I'm finding I can't read things like the ingredients on food packaging, and other small print. Maybe these guys have a point.

Reading glasses help, but sometimes I can only read fine print with a magnifying glass. Perhaps a monocle with stronger magnification could be useful.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Oh I can just see it now. :rolleyes2: Reading glasses in the shirt pocket, a standard monocle on the other end of the Edwardian watch chain in the vest and a 10X monocle hanging from the lapel buttonhole. I thought about it but have about decided that if the hipsters are going the monocle route, I'm going the other way . . . fast!

Stubbly

Oh I can just see it now. :rolleyes2: Reading glasses in the shirt pocket, a standard monocle on the other end of the Edwardian watch chain in the vest and a 10X monocle hanging from the lapel buttonhole. I thought about it but have about decided that if the hipsters are going the monocle route, I'm going the other way . . . fast!

I wouldn't use a monocle in public, especially if hipsters are "sporting" them.

Odradek

Elite Member
Haven't seen this in years, but somewhere in my father's house is one of these...
loupe10.jpg

No doubt owned by a long departed ancestor. A bit of oneupmanship on the monocle. The binnocle.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
A lorgnette! Man, those must have some age on them. Pince Nez came out around the 1840's and I can't imagine anyone using a lorgnette when a pince nez was hands free. Fascinating.

TSWalker

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Since fashion is more important than anything else and I wear eyeglasses, a question, gentlemen: does the monocle go in front of the standard glasses lens or behind? :biggrin:

12345Michael54321

IMO the last people to pull off a monocle in were...

It wasn't just The Penguin, who could rock the monocle. Another Arch Villain from the 1960's "Batman" tv series - Lord Marmaduke Ffogg - wore one:

001LordFfogg_02.jpg

Lord Ffogg (played by Rudy Vallee) featured in the 3 "Londinium" episodes of the series. He and his sister, Lady Penelope Peasoup, ran a ladies' finishing school on their estate, which claimed to teach young girls how to fend for themselves, but in actuality trained them to engage in lives of crime. In their spare time, Lord Ffogg and Lady Penelope stole rare jeweled Russian Easter eggs.

Lord Ffogg's daughter, Lady Prudence (played by Lyn Peters) also seemed to be quite taken with Robin, The Boy Wonder. Holy Downton Abbey, eh Bat-fans?

Basically, with respect to Batman, if you're wearing a monocle, you're an Arch Villain. Or at least a Special Guest Villain. Kinda like how in Star Trek, if you're sporting a goatee, you're from an evil mirror universe.

Last edited:

Roycru

Since fashion is more important than anything else and I wear eyeglasses, a question, gentlemen: does the monocle go in front of the standard glasses lens or behind? :biggrin:

Neither. You wear a monocle on one eye and a contact lens on the other eye.

Howard

Connoisseur
Haven't seen this in years, but somewhere in my father's house is one of these...
loupe10.jpg

No doubt owned by a long departed ancestor. A bit of oneupmanship on the monocle. The binnocle.

Benjamin Franklin called, he wants his monocles back.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange