mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
@Adventure Wolf - what do you mean by new Brooks Brother designer?

If you're asking if they are going stay open, and possibly work with new manufacturing partners, it seems likely based on the news that Brooks Brothers is being acquired by the Authentic Group for $325M.

News of the acquisition is here:
http://apparelresources.com/busines...cquired-authentic-group-simon-property-group/

The article states that Authentic Group plans to keep 125 of the 200 Brooks Brothers locations open.

Is that what you meant? Or did I misunderstand your question?

TKI67

This prompted me to check their site. It is bereft of sack suits and jackets, natural untreated cotton shirts, and generally the things long associated with Brooks Brothers. Much like a Ralph Lauren ad it evokes an era and a look but neither continues nor emulates it. I think the OP may well have meant exactly what was said, who will take over the reins and design the new Brooks look?

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I think the OP may well have meant exactly what was said, who will take over the reins and design the new Brooks look?
Ah, that makes sense now.

I think they refer to that job within Brooks Brothers as a Creative Director, and they bring in fashion designers to be the lead Creative Director of certain product categories.

I found a GQ article that provides a bit of information about possible designer candidates:
https://www.gq.com/story/brooks-brothers-designer-fantasy-draft

A blurb from that article:
Change is in the offing. ABG head Jamie Salter told WWD he plans to adjust the company’s offerings. “There will be a lot more leisurewear and activewear,” he said. “We won’t forget the tailored piece but there won’t be a huge emphasis in that area.”

Salter plans to hire a “big-name designer” with a “strong sportswear background” to oversee that shift.

WWD mentions Gramercy hero Todd Snyder and #menswear icon Michael Bastian as possible candidates, with Bape legend Nigo as a longshot, any of whom would make for a compelling choice. But why stop there? GQ’s style team put on their most beloved vintage Brooks Brothers oxford shirts and took a stab at forecasting the brand’s next designer.

Adventure Wolf

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This prompted me to check their site. It is bereft of sack suits and jackets, natural untreated cotton shirts, and generally the things long associated with Brooks Brothers. Much like a Ralph Lauren ad it evokes an era and a look but neither continues nor emulates it. I think the OP may well have meant exactly what was said, who will take over the reins and design the new Brooks look?
This is exactly what I mean.

I like Brooks Brothers. I always have. A good portion of my two closets are from Brooks Brothers, but to exist in the modern era, changes desperately need to be made.

Jerry Lorenzo would be the right call.

Matt S

Connoisseur
BB needs to have an identity again to survive. They can’t continue as a generic brand of conservative menswear. Because they’re so large a company, they attempted to be something generic that would appeal to the largest number of people, but that generates no excitement for the brand.

They should create clothes that play up their history, both in traditional and modern ways. They need to make their product more special. They also need to find a way to make themselves a destination for clothes other than office wear, without losing their identity. And they will likely need to downsize.

StephenRG

Honors Member
This is one of the funnier errata I've come across for a while:
An initial version of this story mischaracterized ABG's plans for Brooks Brothers retail stores.
It seems as though GQ can't wait for BB to be turned into an adult version of A&F.

TKI67

It is a sad reality that although buying MIUSA gets a lot of love, that love seems insufficient to support a brand on the BB scale.

In the seventies virtually everything I wore came from BB and except for sweaters, oxfords, and umbrellas from the UK, it was mainly MIUSA...suits, jackets, shirts, boxers, belts, ties, khakis, cords, dress slacks, evening clothes. Sure, a lot (not all) of the fabrics were from elsewhere, but the name "Brooks Brothers Makers" meant something.

I wonder, purely theoretically since it will never occur, if they have the scale to deliver high quality MIUSA goods at price points that large numbers of buyers would choose. Other retailers offer very nice things like khakis and cords that are made in other countries, typically pricing (before sale mark downs) at about sixty percent of the MIUSA choices. The disparity is even wider for things like Shetland sweaters made in countries other than Scotland as compared with Scottish goods.

I am sure if I were at the helm of BB I would quickly run it off yet another financial cliff, but it would be interesting to know how mainstream Americans (USA, not our neighbors in the rest of the hemisphere) would react to MIUSA goods that were made from untreated natural fibers, cut to be supremely comfortable, well made, timelessly styled such that they did not change constantly with fashions, and priced at a level that competed with places offering goods made in other countries.

Never gonna happen, but it was sort of fun to day dream.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
This pic came from BB in an email today. While one could argue that the three patterns work owing to scale differences, this is not a look I'd want to highlight if I was BB.

To my eye, the three patterns don't really work well - too many stripes going in too many directions.

I've worked for companies in the middle of a takeover (financial not clothing, but still) and this is the type of muddle that comes out during the transition.
unnamed-23.jpg

TKI67

This pic came from BB in an email today. While one could argue that the three patterns work owing to scale differences, this is not a look I'd want to highlight if I was BB.

To my eye, the three patterns don't really work well - too many stripes going in too many directions.

I've worked for companies in the middle of a takeover (financial not clothing, but still) and this is the type of muddle that comes out during the transition. View attachment 50290
My father would not have allowed me out of the house, or even to the dinner table, still in the house, in that!

🤪

Matt S

Connoisseur

I've worked for companies in the middle of a takeover (financial not clothing, but still) and this is the type of muddle that comes out during the transition. View attachment 50290
They need to look at their Madison Avenue neighbour Paul Stuart for how to coordinate patterns. They also need to take more interesting product photos. This is what they send in an email? They should be sending lifestyle photos, not studio shots. People need something they can relate to an aspire to.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.