roman totale XVII

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I saw Napalm Death in concert once or twice.

However, I preferred Sore Throat - contemporaries but also adversaries of Napalm Death, as is evidenced by the jibe contained within the pastiche title of the album linked to below.

If I recall correctly I am, under a previous pseudonym, name checked on the back cover of the original pressing of Sore Throat's first 7" single.

Great stuff, I’d forgotten all about Sore Throat. Almost certain I saw them back in late 80s Manchester somewhere (place down Oxford Road maybe) on bill with Extreme Noise Terror, Stupids, Bolt Thrower and others. Good days.

Shaver

Suspended
Radvanovsky's adorable bel canto performance is ever powered by sul fiato and nuanced with legato but - oh! my goodness - the sustained high E which concludes this performance almost surpasses my ability to describe and so I shall instead merely echo the libretto:

Che tutti i sensi inebbrio!

cmoore

- the sustained high E
Ridiculously powerful finish.

Opera season starts in October. One of my major pleasures that nobody understands -- until I bring them to an opera, and they see it in person with surtitles and all the context. Then the reality of how amazing a mainstage production is and how powerful and subtle these singers are becomes clear.

peterc

The Abbey Road remix. Fantastic. Played the standard cd on my tube system (early 60's Fisher KX 200 Integrated Amp). Will get to the blu ray soon. Same for the 3 LP set.

roman totale XVII

Listened to ‘Ghosteen’, the new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album a few times now. A good album, very much in the vein of its predecessor, ‘Skeleton Key’, but a lot better.

That said, the Warren Ellis ‘synth/ tape-loop noodling’ phase has run its course now. The next album needs to be something different.

Shaver

Suspended
The Fall - 50,000 Fall Fans Can't Be Wrong.

Its a great introduction compilation to the band. Two discs of songs spanning a great deal of their discography. From when the band sound like a car crash in the late 70s to a more polished version later on. Great Stuff!
I picked up a copy of this recently. Having been something of a dabbler in The Fall's oeuvre, certainly their latter releases are wholly unknown to me, I am now minded to rectify my negligence and further explore the treasure of Mark E. Smith's extraordinary legacy.

Shaver

Suspended
Listened to ‘Ghosteen’, the new Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds album a few times now. A good album, very much in the vein of its predecessor, ‘Skeleton Key’, but a lot better.

That said, the Warren Ellis ‘synth/ tape-loop noodling’ phase has run its course now. The next album needs to be something different.
I have been reasonably keen on Mr Cave since the issue of 'Release the Bats' but find his more recent output tending towards self indulgence - most pronounced in the movie 20,000 Days On Earth.

To my mind his last truly great work being Dig Lazarus Dig!!! However, might this new album be worth my acquiring, do you think?

roman totale XVII

I have been reasonably keen on Mr Cave since the issue of 'Release the Bats' but find his more recent output tending towards self indulgence - most pronounced in the movie 20,000 Days On Earth.

To my mind his last truly great work being Dig Lazarus Dig!!! However, might this new album be worth my acquiring, do you think?
From your comment I’m going to say you’d probably hate it. After ‘Lazarus’ the sound has been progressively stripped back to the extent that I don’t think Wydler/ Sclavunos needed to record a single percussion part for this album and the lyrics have become increasingly, er, contemplative, or self-indulgent if you will. As I mentioned in my post, I’ve personally enjoyed it, but this direction has now hit a terminus and something new is needed.
I trust Cave to recognize this and make a change as he’s done it before, in both the creation and dissolution of The Birthday Party and the ongoing evolution of the Bad Seeds over the last 35-plus years.

roman totale XVII

I picked up a copy of this recently. Having been something of a dabbler in The Fall's oeuvre, certainly their latter releases are wholly unknown to me, I am now minded to rectify my negligence and further explore the treasure of Mark E. Smith's extraordinary legacy.
Although it’s a somewhat obscure reference to anyone but the most hardened fan, my username gives me away as a huge aficionado of The Fall. The legacy is indeed extraordinary and I won’t try and give any direction on what releases you should listen to first as there’s simply no consensus. John Peel put it best when he said that you have to listen to them all. All I’ll say is that, of the latter period, my opinion is that the last truly magnificent Fall album was Imperial Wax Solvent (2008) and the last great album was Re-mit (2013). Of course, it’s all relative and the worst Fall album is still miles ahead of pretty much anything by anyone else.

Shaver

Suspended
I had the distinct, well, not pleasure exactly, experience perhaps(?) of witnessing Sunno))) in concert earlier this week.

Here is a photo of the band onstage. You read that correctly, this is the band onstage.

After completing filling Manchester's Albert Hall theatre with an impenetrable fog of dry ice the group commenced one of the loudest performances I have ever endured, opening with this half hour dirge played at a volume that trembled my innards. It was more performance art than heavy metal but no less enchanting for that. Hypnotic repetition, mind expanding sensory deprivation, to paraphrase Nietzsche; the abyss gazing also.

Shaver

Suspended
Less sophisticated but no less important, lacking gravitas but leaking grooviness, a rather perfect late 70's mission statement from the inimitable Poly Styrene of the X-Ray Spex.

roman totale XVII

I had the distinct, well, not pleasure exactly, experience perhaps(?) of witnessing Sunno))) in concert earlier this week.

Here is a photo of the band onstage. You read that correctly, this is the band onstage.

After completing filling Manchester's Albert Hall theatre with an impenetrable fog of dry ice the group commenced one of the loudest performances I have ever endured, opening with this half hour dirge played at a volume that trembled my innards. It was more performance art than heavy metal but no less enchanting for that. Hypnotic repetition, mind expanding sensory deprivation, to paraphrase Nietzsche; the abyss gazing also.

Sunno))) are something else. Here’s the amp stack from when I saw them in Cleveland a couple of years ago in a pretty small club.

911A57FA-29D6-467A-A493-D5FC03DE3A9E.jpeg

roman totale XVII

I’m pleased to hear that the Doctor Sleep movie, the follow up to The Shining, appears to be a decent film in its own right. In celebration here’s a classic from Head of David. Enjoy.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.