icky thump

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Well-made poplin suits are hard to find, and usually too expensive to be worth it, but they are light and breathable. Not as much as linen, but they wrinkle less. O’Connell’s has quite a few in traditional configurations, and Haspel is another source. Fresco / open-weave wool is also extremely breathable (but extremely expensive as well).
Half-lined is the move.

Eligius

Wonderful coat, enjoy. I've been emailing with Magee about size on, I think, your exact coat. Hard to tell (probably my screen's fault), but is the color black and white, black and cream, black and tan? Or, better yet, how would you describe the color? Thank you, FF
The dark bones are black/charcoal. The lighter bones are a medium brown so would call them in the tan range (much darker than cream/white). The intermittent "flecks" are all in the lighter bones and are quite variable but most frequent is cream and also some lighter to darker orangeish hues (with the darker ones almost a chestnut). They give a good Donegal look. I think the pictures I posted are too dark (first) and too bright (second, which makes it seem a lighter shade), but I can try to send you some more neutral light close up photos if that would be helpful.

Overall, I really love the fabric, and the fit and warmth factors are great. I am very happy with it. The buttons are a generic plastic, and the lining is polyester, but both are functional.

delicious_scent

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The dark bones are black/charcoal. The lighter bones are a medium brown so would call them in the tan range (much darker than cream/white). The intermittent "flecks" are all in the lighter bones and are quite variable but most frequent is cream and also some lighter to darker orangeish hues (with the darker ones almost a chestnut). They give a good Donegal look. I think the pictures I posted are too dark (first) and too bright (second, which makes it seem a lighter shade), but I can try to send you some more neutral light close up photos if that would be helpful.

Overall, I really love the fabric, and the fit and warmth factors are great. I am very happy with it. The buttons are a generic plastic, and the lining is polyester, but both are functional.
Thank you so much - all very helpful. If you can PM me some pics, that would be great, but I know we are all busy and your description here helped a lot so don't worry if you can't.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

Hi again, just to check, is this the exact coat you bought:

never behind

I dig this style of coat, what is it called?
I believe it is a Chesterfield, or at least that’s what O’Connell’s calls it (that’s were I bought it).

Eligius

Hi again, just to check, is this the exact coat you bought:

It's this one:

I will work on getting some better pics to you.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
It's this one:

I will work on getting some better pics to you.
Hi again and thank you for all the help. I'm focused on buying the Black and Pale Camel one, so I don't need additional pics of your Brown one, but again, greatly appreciate that you were going to post additional pics.

RogerP

Connoisseur
Yesterday was -20C on the train platform in the morning. I don't really have a coat for that. :( Problem is that that those days are so far and few between here that it's hard for me to justify the purchase. This winter it has rarely been winter-cold.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Yesterday was -20C on the train platform in the morning. I don't really have a coat for that. :( Problem is that that those days are so far and few between here that it's hard for me to justify the purchase. This winter it has rarely been winter-cold.
Is there a coat for that? :)

I shall look forward to pics of yours!
Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but getting close. I really, truly don't need another overcoat, but this one checks just about every box of "the overcoat" I've always wanted. So my girlfriend and I are going to double check measurements (scattered in a long email string I've had with Magee - I'm sure, at this point, they either want me to buy the coat or stop emailing) today and make a "buy / no buy" decision.

If I buy, pics will definitely follow its arrival.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.