RogerP

Connoisseur
A goose down parka would be the thing. Those portable igloos are very toasty and nothing beats a deep fur-trimmed hood when biting wind joins bitter cold.

But they are just too damned warm for me for most days.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
A goose down parka would be the thing. Those portable igloos are very toasty and nothing beats a deep fur-trimmed hood when biting wind joins bitter cold.

But they are just too damned warm for me for most days.
The USAF issued ma an Arctic parka, matching trousers, and inflatable Bunny Boots that could easily keep one warm in -20 degree temperatures, but alas, they made me give them back when the Northern Tier assignment was over. :( LOL.

delicious_scent

Is there a coat for that? :)

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but getting close. I really, truly don't need another overcoat, but this one checks just about every box of "the overcoat" I've always wanted. So my girlfriend and I are going to double check measurements (scattered in a long email string I've had with Magee - I'm sure, at this point, they either want me to buy the coat or stop emailing) today and make a "buy / no buy" decision.

If I buy, pics will definitely follow its arrival.
Yep. It depends on how warm you run and how much you layer, how the coat is cut, how long you plan on being outside etc.

RogerP

Connoisseur
I've been wanting to add a traditional windbreaker to the rotation for spring / summer / fall - something along the lines of a Harrington or similar.

I came across this Grenfell reduced by 50% and decided it would serve quite nicely. Okay, by "came across" I actually mean that I religiously checked The Rake web site as both supply and price dropped over time. When it hit half off and the last model in stock was in my size - well - I think we can all agree that this was a clear sign from a power far greater than myself. :)

I have had little opportunity to wear it, for obvious reasons. But since I had to go into the office early this morning to collect some file materials, it got its first outing.

Random web pics:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I've been wanting to add a traditional windbreaker to the rotation for spring / summer / fall - something along the lines of a Harrington or similar.

I came across this Grenfell reduced by 50% and decided it would serve quite nicely. Okay, by "came across" I actually mean that I religiously checked The Rake web site as both supply and price dropped over time. When it hit half off and the last model in stock was in my size - well - I think we can all agree that this was a clear sign from a power far greater than myself. :)

I have had little opportunity to wear it, for obvious reasons. But since I had to go into the office early this morning to collect some file materials, it got its first outing.

Random web pics:

That is quite a good looking jacket, but the Ivy cap is even more impressive! BTW, my friend, you wear that jacket much better than those professional models. Should you ever consider a second career, modeling clothes just might be it. ;)

RogerP

Connoisseur
That is quite a good looking jacket, but the Ivy cap is even more impressive! BTW, my friend, you wear that jacket much better than those professional models. Should you ever consider a second career, modeling clothes just might be it. ;)

Thank you very kindly my friend.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I believe I have made note in the past of Roger P looking more like a model than the models - a second career beckons.

Also, this cracked me up:
...I came across this Grenfell reduced by 50% and decided it would serve quite nicely. Okay, by "came across" I actually mean that I religiously checked The Rake web site as both supply and price dropped over time. When it hit half off and the last model in stock was in my size - well - I think we can all agree that this was a clear sign from a power far greater than myself. :)
I completely understand what you did as I am currently stalking the company Guideboat to see if a pair of winter wool gray trousers go on super sale (Guideboat does some crazy markdowns late in its sales). The internet does make cyberstalking retail sites very easy.

The Irishman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Some months ago, when retail closures were occurring in London, Crombie closed their Conduit Street store. I was somewhat surprised when they also closed their online retail. When someone queried on one of their social media accounts when they would be doing business again, there was a somewhat terse response that they "didn't have a cystal ball."

I wonder if they'll rise like a Phoenix as winter approaches... Winter coats are on the hangers now elsewhere.

"In light of current world events, we have now fully suspended our retail, wholesale and supporting administrative operations until further notice. We will continue to monitor the global situation and hope to resume operations in the fullness of time. We’d like to thank our many clients for their custom and patronage and wish everyone a safe and healthy summer."

challer

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Sporting the (second) new Grenfell shooter coat. This one in a heavy dry waxed cotton gabardine with corduroy trim and chunky woven leather buttons. A nice surprise was discovering the corduroy-lined outer flap pockets.

I'm looking for another good shooting jacket. I note this one does not have an action back. Have you found it restraining while using a shotgun?

EclecticSr.

Some months ago, when retail closures were occurring in London, Crombie closed their Conduit Street store. I was somewhat surprised when they also closed their online retail. When someone queried on one of their social media accounts when they would be doing business again, there was a somewhat terse response that they "didn't have a cystal ball."

I wonder if they'll rise like a Phoenix as winter approaches... Winter coats are on the hangers now elsewhere.

"In light of current world events, we have now fully suspended our retail, wholesale and supporting administrative operations until further notice. We will continue to monitor the global situation and hope to resume operations in the fullness of time. We’d like to thank our many clients for their custom and patronage and wish everyone a safe and healthy summer."
Makes me glad that I bought all my Crombie coats and suits when I did. While I have very little need for more clothing, I wish them well.

delicious_scent

Crosspost from tweed thread.

How do you all feel about lining the upper back of a tweed overcoat with melton wool?

In my head it sounded like a good idea for windproofing, so now I already have the fabric.

Some people at TOF said it will make it harder to pull the coat on and off, stick to whatever I'm wearing underneath, and may affect the drape.

At worst I guess I now have a wool blanket.

Maybe I could ask my tailor to make it removable?

Last edited:

RogerP

Connoisseur
Winter is coming. I haven't owned a parka since I was a kid, but there are a few days each winter that I wish I did. I need wish no longer. Grenfell Labrador Coat has landed. Coat and pics courtesy of The Rake.

CLTesquire

Winter is coming. I haven't owned a parka since I was a kid, but there are a few days each winter that I wish I did. I need wish no longer. Grenfell Labrador Coat has landed. Coat and pics courtesy of The Rake.

That is a heck of a coat. I hope you have a frigid winter with many opportunities to wear it.

Related question for you...if it were cold enough to wear a coat like that, what shoes/boots are you using? I’m genuinely curious as it would never be that cold down here.

RogerP

Connoisseur
That is a heck of a coat. I hope you have a frigid winter with many opportunities to wear it.

Related question for you...if it were cold enough to wear a coat like that, what shoes/boots are you using? I’m genuinely curious as it would never be that cold down here.
Any of my field / derby boots. I have naturally warm feet so I don't own any lined boots as they quickly become too warm to wear when I transition indoors. There is a pair of shearling lined Carlos Santos boots that is tempting me, though.

The winter days that have me wishing for a parka aren't necessarily those where the temperature is at its absolute lowest - but where the wind is at is highest - particularly when combined with snow and ice pellets. NOTHING beats a deep fur-trimmed hood on days like that - particularly when I am immobile and exposed on a wind-swept train platform.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.