Men's Clothing Forums banner

The Old School Gentlemen Thread

164K views 1K replies 53 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 · (Edited)
Dress shirt Tie Sleeve Gesture Collar

Major Sir Wilfred Patrick Thesiger, CBE, DSO, FRAS, FRGS, (3 June 1910 - 24 August 2003) was a British explorer and travel writer. As you can clearly see, he really knew how to dress. A true Englishman.

See less See more
#799 ·
I don't recall whether I'd posted him before...Robert E Howard, wearing a hat as though he were born with it.
View attachment 48753
I was hesitant to post about hats again but when you see such an example I have to jump in.
Mr. Howard's hat is creased to near perfection.

You rarely if ever see hats that are pre-creased by the manufacturer in that style.I have a few that were custom made. Most times it's a pinched front with too low a crown.

As for movie stars who wore hats well a few come to mind, Cagney, William Powell, even some lesser known character actors. Their hats were creased and worn beautifully. Never rumpled with smooth flowing lines. I've spent hours and sometime days working a hat until I was completely satisfied with the outcome.

Too bad Mr. Howard ended his life at such a young age.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.