The Onion on Nantucket Reds

Hayek

Thought you all would enjoy this :cool2:

https://www.theonion.com/articles/man-purchasing-pair-of-red-pants-better-be-ready-t,32136/

KNOXVILLE, TN—According to sources, the man currently purchasing a pair of Nantucket red chinos at a local Banana Republic better be damn well prepared to put his money where his mouth is on this one. “Hey, all I can say is I hope this guy is prepared to go all-in here, because once he buys these pants and puts them on there’s no going back,” said onlooker Jim Hardy, noting that while it may have taken some chutzpah for the shopper to pick up the red pants and maybe even try them on in a fitting room, he’s going to need to sack up big time if he’s planning on sporting them to a social gathering, much less to the office. “Let me tell you, if this fucker’s not planning on going balls-to-the-wall with a white polo, navy blazer, and a pair of brown loafers with no socks, he better just put those pants back where found ’em, settle on some classic cords, and just move on already. This is the big leagues we’re talking about here.” At press time, the man had already proven he didn’t have the stones by asking the cashier about the store’s return policy.

hardline_42

Honors Member
Am I missing something? It seems the folks on that site are the same sort of folks wearing reds in the US. Granted, I had never heard of it before now.

Hmm, I see your point. For some reason, I seem to remember the blog being more hipster-centric in their red trouser sightings:
rtgayhipster.png

They seem to have classed the place up a bit since my last visit.

TradThrifter

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I believe I am through wearing reds. It was fun when I was a student. But amongst the general population I tend to look quite ridiculous.

hardline_42

Honors Member
Funny post as usual from The Onion, my only criticism is those aren't really Nantucket reds (nor does BR sell them).

The Onion's strength isn't always it's attention to details but the dead-pan earnestness with which it executes it's cockamamie satires:

[video]https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=53d_1253640268&comments=1[/video]

Jovan

Honors Member
The frightening thing is that sometimes it's impossible to tell if "respectable" news sources are running an Onion-style article or not.

Reldresal

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I believe I am through wearing reds. It was fun when I was a student. But amongst the general population I tend to look quite ridiculous.

I too feel a little old to be wearing them. Plus, they are now ubiquitous. Definitely a preppy item that has been thoroughly co-opted and removed from context. I didn't put up a fight, but if they come after my kelly green cable knit sweater they will have a buzzsaw to deal with.

I will still wear the "blues", though. They have been ignored thus far.

Scottmb3

I like how there really is a kernel of truth under this article. You definitely need to work Nantuckets into an overall outfit or you're just some doofus in pink pants...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange