Dhaller

Elite Member
It's saying something that I am motivated to post on mere shorts, but I got a pair of the Duck Head 8" Harbor Performance shorts and they are *perfect*.

Light as air (a performance fabric of 56% cotton, 40% nylon, 4% spandex, but looks like poplin), cool, good fit (for me: 6'1"/173lbs and the 32" is spot-on) and seemingly well made. They're so comfortable I basically don't notice them, almost to the point where I have to make sure I'm wearing pants when I leave the house. New, so no durability verdict yet. Perfect shorts for polos or Tori Richard camp shirts, things like that.

I bought a pair in "twill" but will be buying more (like navy, boa green, maybe grey): https://www.duckhead.com/collection...rformance-short-d61004?variant=38196805664959

I kind of like the trend back to "shorter" shorts - I always felt the 9"+ shorts were treading into ICP or skater territory - but I'm not quite ready for 7" yet (which Duck Head also makes.)

(Apparently Duck Head is a resurrected brand, but they seem bent on maintaining a preppy, "Trad" style.)

DH

DCR

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
They look good and I appreciate that they offer odd/even sizes but the price seems a tad steep for imported shorts.

drpeter

For many years now, I have bought shorts (and T shirts) mostly at thrift shops -- one can find very serviceable pairs from various makers (including Ralph Lauren and Dockers) for a few dollars, especially in late spring.

I have occasionally bought new shorts when the source is interesting and of high quality. Some years ago, an eBay seller offered khaki drill shorts that were surplus items, originally made in Marseille, France for the French Foreign Legion. I decided to take a chance because they looked interesting, possessed a nice pedigree, and the fabric looked tough. I ordered two pairs of shorts, and I was quite impressed with how comfortable they were and how well they performed. The cost was very reasonable at $15 per pair.

I'd love to get some of those Indian Army WWII shorts which had a three-inch wide waistband with double straps and metal buckles in front (This arrangement was perfect for the weight losses and gains soldiers might experience during a campaign). They were knee-length and loose, and ultra-comfortable. I had shorts like those, with buckles on the side when I was a boy (you did not get to wear long trousers until you were 14 or so!). Pretty hard to find these days. But I'm content with the variety offered in thrift shops, and they are pretty good. Here's an image:

1619737951551.png

Last edited:

Tweedlover

For many years now, I have bought shorts (and T shirts) mostly at thrift shops -- one can find very serviceable pairs from various makers (including Ralph Lauren and Dockers) for a few dollars, especially in late spring.

I have occasionally bought new shorts when the source is interesting and of high quality. Some years ago, an eBay seller offered khaki drill shorts that were surplus items, originally made in Marseille, France for the French Foreign Legion. I decided to take a chance because they looked interesting, possessed a nice pedigree, and the fabric looked tough. I ordered two pairs of shorts, and I was quite impressed with how comfortable they were and how well they performed. The cost was very reasonable at $15 per pair.

I'd love to get some of those Indian Army WWII shorts which had a three-inch wide waistband with double straps and metal buckles in front (This arrangement was perfect for the weight losses and gains soldiers might experience during a campaign). They were knee-length and loose, and ultra-comfortable. I had shorts like those, with buckles on the side when I was a boy (you did not get to wear long trousers until you were 14 or so!). Pretty hard to find these days. But I'm content with the variety offered in thrift shops, and they are pretty good. Here's an image:

View attachment 57294
I think all the shorts I have were thrifted. Once the day's highs reach into the mid-80's, fashionable or not, I'm in shorts. Around here that's typically May 1-mid-October. I'm always comfort over style.

challer

Recently I had a similar experience in the shorts department. Tailor Vintage. Made from one of the new stretchy yet cotton blends that appear to be everywhere. 10 years ago I was still avoiding "new age" fabrics like the plague. Yet, these were so remarkable and comfortable I went from 0-3 - 5 pairs just like that. https://tailorvintage.com/collections/casual-shorts. I'm told a group of former Peter Millar gang.

I remain in the temple of Tweed, Linen, and Wool. But this is interesting for casual/Covid clothes

TKI67

Elite Member
Another import, but I love Patagonias, especially the stand up shorts. Tough as all get out. They are not too long but are a bit billowy. Their (sadly) discontinued shorter version is mightily missed by many. Word is their similarly short hemp version is a good alternative.

drpeter

I have two different wardrobes: The more formal one (suits, sports jackets, ties, grey flannels, dress khakis, dress shirts, proper shoes etc.) and the more informal one (T shirts, shorts, knockabout khakis, jeans, polo shirts, sweaters, Birkies, etc.). There is some crossover, but I think this system works very well for me. Often a worn item, like a dress shirt, can become a weekend shirt, especially in winter, under a sweater. And grey flannels can be daily wear, to alternate with khakis and jeans.

TKI67

Elite Member
I have two different wardrobes: The more formal one (suits, sports jackets, ties, grey flannels, dress khakis, dress shirts, proper shoes etc.) and the more informal one (T shirts, shorts, knockabout khakis, jeans, polo shirts, sweaters, Birkies, etc.). There is some crossover, but I think this system works very well for me. Often a worn item, like a dress shirt, can become a weekend shirt, especially in winter, under a sweater. And grey flannels can be daily wear, to alternate with khakis and jeans.
About like me. Early 1967 wardrobe is like I am in prep school in Virginia. Late 1967 wardrobe is like I am in college in California. I still wear and love both.

delicious_scent

View attachment 57294
I bought a pair of baggy Gurkha shorts by J. Peterman and looked ridiculous.

I took them to my tailor and he remarked the overall effect looked like a skirt.

Post-tailoring, they look sharp with a narrower leg and shorter hem.

I made a thread about Gurkha shorts some years back.

drpeter

I bought a pair of baggy Gurkha shorts by J. Peterman and looked ridiculous.

I took them to my tailor and he remarked the overall effect looked like a skirt.

Post-tailoring, they look sharp with a narrower leg and shorter hem.

I made a thread about Gurkha shorts some years back.

[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Nice! I checked your photos of the Gurkha shorts. I do have a pair of Gurkha pants, very nice. And I do have a kukri, the famed Gurkha knife.

As I have mentioned in these forums before, I did my national service long ago in India in a paramilitary unit where the instructors were from one of the Gurkha regiments. They are terrific chaps, and tough as all get out. Fearless, totally. And fine friends too. I bought the kukri and other things including a 3rd Gurkhas cap badge because I honour them through these objects.

Last edited:

delicious_scent

Nice! I checvked your photos of the Gurkha shorts. I do have a pair of Gurkha pants, very nice. And I do have a kukri, the famed Gurkha knife.

As I have mentioned in these forums before, I did my national service long ago in India in a paramilitary unit where the instructors were from one of the Gurkha regiments. They are terrific chaps, and tough as all get out. Fearless, totally. And fine friends too. I bought the kukri and other things including a 3rd Gurkhas cap badge because I honour them through these objects.
That's a pretty badass history of yours Doc, I enjoyed reading that story. Definitely gives more credence to wearing Gurkha pants as well!

What kind of pants are yours? I know there is the recent menswear trend of Gurkha dress trousers paired with sport coats, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Then there are rugged Gurkha pants that have more in common with workwear, chinos, and cargo pants like these:

These ones are more appealing to me in terms of aesthetic.

some_dude

I've had some worn out khaki pants made into shorts. It's been a few years, but I might end up doing it again at some point.

challer

That's a pretty badass history of yours Doc, I enjoyed reading that story. Definitely gives more credence to wearing Gurkha pants as well!

What kind of pants are yours? I know there is the recent menswear trend of Gurkha dress trousers paired with sport coats, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Then there are rugged Gurkha pants that have more in common with workwear, chinos, and cargo pants like these:

Interesting. I've taken to wearing old wool M-1951 trousers for ranch/hunting and now comfy lounge pants. Steel like durability, comfortable, side adjusters and only about $25. I've tried whipcord but nothing OTR is close and bespoke seems like an odd choice for this use. Thinking of having some cut down to shorts. Anyone else use M51 trousers?

drpeter

Interesting. I've taken to wearing old wool M-1951 trousers for ranch/hunting and now comfy lounge pants. Steel like durability, comfortable, side adjusters and only about $25. I've tried whipcord but nothing OTR is close and bespoke seems like an odd choice for this use. Thinking of having some cut down to shorts. Anyone else use M51 trousers?
Yes, I have about half a dozen medium-to-heavy wool trousers, US military issue olive green but with belt loops. I am not sure if they are M-1951 -- those were in the Korean War period. Mine were perhaps a later issue. I also have a pair of dark brown Australian Army thick wool trousers which have forward pleats and brace buttons inside the waistband, but are great for winter. I wear all of these vintage items with sportcoats, or sweaters, mostly in winter. I like the straight cut legs and the nice drape.

I have about four USAF blue trousers, which are the best-fitting RTW trousers I own. They have a nice, 12" rise, are flat front and snug, with straight legs. I have had them finished with plain bottoms, no cuffs. They are light-weight, a cotton-poly mixture, and very comfortable year round. I love the Air Force blue colour, my dream is to have a suit and a sportcoat made with the same colour flannel. The O'Connell's stone blue wool flannels I bought some months ago comes very close.

Last edited:

drpeter

A badass history! I think many of us have such histories, and most people of my age, have done some military service, whether in the regular services or in paramilitary outfits like mine.

My Gurkha trousers are similar to the one in your image. Unlike this one, there are two curved flaps that narrow into the buckle bands on the sides. Mine was actually offered by Bill's Khakis around the mid 1990s.

delicious_scent

I had no idea these kinds of pants were ever made in wool, the more you know.
A badass history! I think many of us have such histories, and most people of my age, have done some military service, whether in the regular services or in paramilitary outfits like mine.

My Gurkha trousers are similar to the one in your image. Unlike this one, there are two curved flaps that narrow into the buckle bands on the sides. Mine was actually offered by Bill's Khakis around the mid 1990s.
For me, I don't know anyone who has done military service personally, only members on AAAC.

So to me, it always feel cool to talk to people who have lived the life that has inspired classic menswear clothing.

If I understood that Gurkha configuration correctly, it sounds like it's the wide waistband variation. I love the cummerbund effect that has in narrowing the waist.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.