Prepdad

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I think the key here is to not study this too much. It's meant to be a casual look - as if you haven't given it much thought. I honestly couldn't tell you how I roll mine up. As long as you don't look like Fonzie and have them rolled up to your shoulders, do what you feel looks natural for you.

A.Squire

Honors Member
I’m afraid the answer to the question is really not about the resultant roll, but the process of the roll. Liken it if you will to a “roll your own” cigarette. Once it’s done it’s done, virtually indistinguishable from a pre-roll. The art (the attitude) is in the rolling.

Tell me about the rolling, not the roll. For me it usually follows slipping of my coat and tossing it on a chair. I stand up straight and inhale, exhaling only about half of what I took in and leaving the rest to settle in my chest. Seems I always start with the right sleeve holding my hand about eye level. My eyes are surveying the surrounding room and the task at hand—I don’t stare at my sleeve. If I run into a second button I unfasten it without fuss. Right arm then left. That seems about right.
Allen

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Two rolls under, followed by two rolls over, results in a nice tight 3" cuff that falls to just above the elbow...voila, a long sleeve OCBD becomes the perfect choice for summer wear! For below the elbow wear go with two to three rolls under to achieve the desired length.

Larchmont

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Quad roll - similar to a traditional double roll but one breaks the cuff in half and rolls 4x. This still only shortens to the top of the sleeve button placket. Can usually only be done with OCBD as it is a more casual roll and a more starched shirt would not look very good when re-buttoned.

Learned many years ago in prep school when the look was to try to get as casual and sloppy appearance as you can get with jacket and tie. Never rolled above the sleeve.

Amazing how idiosyncratic this can get.

Gurpgork

Starting Member
Quad roll - similar to a traditional double roll but one breaks the cuff in half and rolls 4x. This still only shortens to the top of the sleeve button placket. Can usually only be done with OCBD as it is a more casual roll and a more starched shirt would not look very good when re-buttoned.

Learned many years ago in prep school when the look was to try to get as casual and sloppy appearance as you can get with jacket and tie. Never rolled above the sleeve.

Amazing how idiosyncratic this can get.
When doing this, do you leave the gauntlet button buttoned?

Gurpgork

Starting Member
Regardless of which technique I use, I’d never be able to roll up my shirtsleeves without unbuttoning the button (if there is one) on the sleeve placket.
I always go for the look that the other poster mentioned, with the cuff halved. Is the best method of doing this by opening all buttons and then folding it in half, rolling it up 4x? Any advice on how to achieve this look would be greatly appreciated. I would really like it to look like this individual on the left here in the darker shirt:

1617587964260.png

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I always go for the look that the other poster mentioned, with the cuff halved. Is the best method of doing this by opening all buttons and then folding it in half, rolling it up 4x? Any advice on how to achieve this look would be greatly appreciated. I would really like it to look like this individual on the left here in the darker shirt:

View attachment 56635
Undo the button on the cuff and on the sleeve placket (if it has a button). Roll up the cuff about 1.5 inches. Then keep rolling up the sleeve in approximately 1.5 inch-increments until it’s the height you want.

I just did that with the shirt I’m wearing and had no problems.

Gurpgork

Starting Member
Undo the button on the cuff and on the sleeve placket (if it has a button). Roll up the cuff about 1.5 inches. Then keep rolling up the sleeve in approximately 1.5 inch-increments until it’s the height you want.

I just did that with the shirt I’m wearing and had no problems.
I'm sorry, not to be a bother just trying to understand as best as possible. When you say roll the cuff about 1.5 inches is this to fold the cuff in half at the bottom? Or to roll the whole cuff? How do you determine the proper increment? Thank you!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I do exactly what I did for years with my BDU uniforms. Unbotton the cuff and any other button if one exists and using the cuff as a measurement, roll up four times. That puts the roll just above my elbow, exactly where I want it (and Army regs dictated).

Gurpgork

Starting Member
I do exactly what I did for years with my BDU uniforms. Unbotton the cuff and any other button if one exists and using the cuff as a measurement, roll up four times. That puts the roll just above my elbow, exactly where I want it (and Army regs dictated).
I like this method, but I find it doesn't give it the slim roll I seek as I showed in that picture. I also try to keep it below the elbow if I can.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
You'd like the final roll of my Army days even less. Unbutton the cuff and turn the entire sleeve inside out all the way to the arm pit. Then roll up from the bottom twice and tuck the cuff down over the top of the whole thing. It's still above your elbow but it matches the outside of the shirt. This is a good thing when you're wearing camouflage.

Gurpgork

Starting Member
You'd like the final roll of my Army days even less. Unbutton the cuff and turn the entire sleeve inside out all the way to the arm pit. Then roll up from the bottom twice and tuck the cuff down over the top of the whole thing. It's still above your elbow but it matches the outside of the shirt. This is a good thing when you're wearing camouflage.
All the way up to the armpit! Wow! That must have been uncomfortable. Does a sleeve roller like yourself have any advice on how to achieve the look I posted above, the man on the far left in the darker shirt with the sullen expression? His sleeve roll looks perfect to me: slim across, below the elbow, and neat. Any advice would be appreciated!

Charles Dana

Honors Member
I'm sorry, not to be a bother just trying to understand as best as possible. When you say roll the cuff about 1.5 inches is this to fold the cuff in half at the bottom? Or to roll the whole cuff? How do you determine the proper increment? Thank you!
No bother. I chose approximately 1.5 inches as the increment because that will cause you to get the look of the dark-blue rolled-up sleeve in the photo you posted.

Don’t worry about folding the cuff in half when you’re starting the roll. Fold it up so that the folded part is about 1.5 inches wide. That may or may not be half the width of the cuff.

Then keep folding upward 1.5 inches at a time. Stop just below your elbow.

Try it. If you don’t get it right the first time, unroll the sleeve and try again.

Gurpgork

Starting Member
No bother. I chose approximately 1.5 inches as the increment because that will cause you to get the look of the dark-blue rolled-up sleeve in the photo you posted.

Don’t worry about folding the cuff in half when you’re starting the roll. Fold it up so that the folded part is about 1.5 inches wide. That may or may not be half the width of the cuff.

Then keep folding upward 1.5 inches at a time. Stop just below your elbow.

Try it. If you don’t get it right the first time, unroll the sleeve and try again.
Thank you! This seems to work well. Another method I tried last night that seemed to work was sort of a modified Gant roll, the Gant roll with one extra turn over at the end. Open all buttons (cuff and gauntlet), flip cuff back fully twice, then fold it in half, and then flip it over. Any thoughts on this versus all cuff rolls being the same length from the bottom? Thank you for your sage advice!

Gant Roll:

Last edited:

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
All the way up to the armpit! Wow! That must have been uncomfortable. Does a sleeve roller like yourself have any advice on how to achieve the look I posted above, the man on the far left in the darker shirt with the sullen expression? His sleeve roll looks perfect to me: slim across, below the elbow, and neat. Any advice would be appreciated!
No, it actually just gives you the same effect as rolling a sleeve up to the elbow but without the shiny light colored inside of the shirt showing and giving your position away. It was just a military thing. For some reason the Marines went with a straight rolling which made the roll obvious from a hundred yards away. Probably because in battle everyone rolls their sleeves down to the wrists to get as much camouflage coverage as possible.

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Another method I tried last night that seemed to work was sort of a modified Gant roll, the Gant roll with one extra turn over at the end. Open all buttons (cuff and gauntlet), flip cuff back fully twice, then fold it in half, and then flip it over. Any thoughts on this versus all cuff rolls being the same length from the bottom?
I’m fine with any technique you use, as long as you end up with the look you want.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.