TKI67

Elite Member
A sad story. So many of the hallowed brands of my youth are either gone (Rogers Peet, Chipp) or an old brand with wholly different merchandise (Brooks, A & F), or just beginning that long slide.

paul winston

Advertiser
The original Chipp "Brick and Morter" which was located at 14East 44th ST closed when I sold the building. ( A gentleman walked up to me one day and said he had a client who would pay me X for our building. I said you just bought a building.) We than continued making custom and MTM clothing as Winston Tailors. The combination of my age and the Covid shutdown brought Winston Tailors to a close this year.
Chipp Neckwear, which is a separate LLC, continues. We still make our ties , which can be seen on our web site - chippneckwear.com - in NYC.

TKI67

Elite Member
The original Chipp "Brick and Morter" which was located at 14East 44th ST closed when I sold the building. ( A gentleman walked up to me one day and said he had a client who would pay me X for our building. I said you just bought a building.) We than continued making custom and MTM clothing as Winston Tailors. The combination of my age and the Covid shutdown brought Winston Tailors to a close this year.
Chipp Neckwear, which is a separate LLC, continues. We still make our ties , which can be seen on our web site - chippneckwear.com - in NYC.
I am so sorry I listed Chipp as I did, for you indeed live on, and I love your ties. I do, however, miss the store and the clothing terribly much.

fred johnson

Such a sad ending for Robert Talbott.. I still have one of their 7 fold ties, still in its decorative box with ribbon tie, very nice but just a tad short in length. I had the pleasure of visiting Chipp once before it closed, having read about it in M magazine, did not buy anything but was very impressed with the clothes and ties.

Eligius

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Brooks Brothers is heading towards zombification.

FYI I recently discovered Robert Jensen ties. One of the folks at a local men's store here told me he was a lead designer for Robert Talbott prior to going independent. I bought a few knits that are outstanding.

Redafan

Starting Member
When I was younger and a more active reader of this board is when I first discovered Robert Talbot ties. They weren't easily found here in Toronto, believe it or not. So you could imagine my excitement when I traveled to the States for work and went shopping one day. I found the ever elusive Robert Talbot ties and fell in love instantly with them. The construction, the material, the way they folded a great knot without even trying.

Sad to hear the news. Unfortunately I don't wear ties much anymore but I still have my collection, they're nice to look at once in a while.

drpeter

I have 12-15 ties by Robert Talbott, all acquired in the 1980s and 1990s. I continue to find more of them in thrift shops from time to time, and these too are usually older ties. These ties are of impeccable quality. It was sad to read of the fall of the company. However, as many have pointed out, it is a familiar story. An era of classic clothing and its manufacture in fine shops and factories appear to be coming to an end. It is not yet clear what will follow.

drpeter

Well, we must take heart. Drake's in London are still going strong, as far as I know. And we have Ben Silver with a fine collection of regimentals from Britain and the countries of the old empire: British India, South Africa, Malaya, etc.

Last edited:

drpeter

Just picked up another Talbott tie from Goodwill -- heavy silk, regimental stripe, and with bright colours. It looks like a seven-fold tie, although it does not state that. The label says Made in Monterey, CA, so this must be from the earlier period.

TKI67

Elite Member
Just picked up another Talbott tie from Goodwill -- heavy silk, regimental stripe, and with bright colours. It looks like a seven-fold tie, although it does not state that. The label says Made in Monterey, CA, so this must be from the earlier period.
Quick, edit your post before Peak sees you calling it a stripe!

drpeter

Quick, edit your post before Peak sees you calling it a stripe!
LOL, but I don't see the need.

If you are suggesting that "stripe" ought to be plural, that may be slightly more accurate when describing the stripes themselves, since they are usually in different coloured stripes signalling the regiment's colours. As in a tie with regimental stripes. BUT: If you are describing the type of tie, as I am, then regimental stripe, in the singular, is perfectly accurate. As in regimental stripe tie.

On the other hand, if you are talking about the direction (or colours) of the stripe (an issue that has been beaten to death in numerous fora) I really don't much care. In the US, you find stripes in both directions, and sometimes people call them Repp stripes. Also, sometimes they are in colours not associated with any specific regiment. My labelling is simply one that is of convenience, to describe the tie broadly.

We'll see if the Peakster complains, LOL. I can then challenge him to a duel, or at minimum, to Zoom arm-wrestling.

Last edited:

TKI67

Elite Member
So, TKI, what was your concern -- the first one I listed above or the second?
According to Peak:
"A repp tie isn't striped.
A stripe runs up and down.
Running left to right it's a band.
Diagonally, as on a repp tie, it's a bend, running dexter to sinister.

"Thank you for dialing Call an Anal Guy and Make His Day."

drpeter

Not sure where these definitions come from, but they are certainly what one might call anal-retentive. I'm sure Peaks can cite the appropriate sartorial references, LOL. In any case, I don't subscribe to such definitions, so I'll continue calling them stripes.

BTW, Does he mean band when he says bend? Also a band can run in any direction, can't it ? Top to bottom, left to right, diagonally, etc.

drpeter

TKI has a memory for the important stuff. It's bends, not stripes. As in heraldic. Stripes run up and down. Bends run diagonal, dexter or sinister. Get with it.
Why is it heraldry? Coats of arms aren't identical to regimental colours. Besides, practically everyone, other than you, Peaks, calls it stripes when it comes to neckties. Common usage should trump other usages, don't you think? Shall we stop calling trousers pants? Or button down shirts polo shirts (as BB originally called them)?

I did a search through the following two webpages (US military heraldry). There is no mention of ties or neckties, anywhere. It is mostly about insignia.

http://www.first-team.us/tableaux/apndx_08/

http://www.first-team.us/legacies/subunits/15th_psb/psbndx06.html

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
Not sure where these definitions come from, but they are certainly what one might call anal-retentive. I'm sure Peaks can cite the appropriate sartorial references, LOL. In any case, I don't subscribe to such definitions, so I'll continue calling them stripes.

BTW, Does he mean band when he says bend? Also a band can run in any direction, can't it ? Top to bottom, left to right, diagonally, etc.
Generally speaking, a band, whether in clothing, art, architecture, etc., runs horozontal. A stripe, vertical. A rugby shirt has bands of alternating colors, not stripes. The traditional seersucker jacket has stripes of blue and white, not bands. A repp tie has neither, it has bends, diagonal lines running either right (dexter) to left (sinister) or the opposite. As viewed by the wearer of the tie, the same as in anatomical descriptions. As someone here recently said, probably me, get with it. I don't wanna keep instructing you people in this.

drpeter

Well, I refuse to go with these rules about bands They may be significant for heraldry, but I don't think they are, not for striped ties. Along with all the other non-anal fellows, I'll just call them regimental stripes. I've had associaitons with at least one regiment, the Gurkhas, and they call it regimental stripes too, not bands.

These are all conventions, after all. Why be so rigid about them?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.