The self-outing of another anglo trad

mpcsb

Inactive User
quote:Originally posted by RichardS

Such threads remind me why I love this forum.[:I]

And sometimes I have no idea what is being talked about - Sargent Wilson - Andersen shelter - Morrison shelter - Private Pike ? What's a poor Yank to do - sigh.
Cheers

n/a

quote:Originally posted by mpcsb
And sometimes I have no idea what is being talked about - Sargent Wilson - Andersen shelter - Morrison shelter - Private Pike ? What's a poor Yank to do - sigh.
Cheers
I don't understand any of this either so don't feel left out.:)

n/a

quote:Originally posted by Vettriano man

quote:Originally posted by Jason Evans

quote:Originally posted by mpcsb
Cheers
I don't understand any of this either so don't feel left out.:)
...none of you seen Dad's Army??? [:0]
No. What's that?[:I]

Old Brompton

I've seen a few references to Trads listening to jazz. I can't listen to it; I find it offensive. Sometimes I find the practitioners of jazz, such as Miles Davis, even more offensive, their sartorial choices notwithstanding. My question is, do you think it is possible to be Trad whilst at the same time rejecting American 'music' (e.g., jazz, rap, etc.)? [8D]

mpcsb

Inactive User
quote:Originally posted by Old Brompton

I've seen a few references to Trads listening to jazz. I can't listen to it; I find it offensive. Sometimes I find the practitioners of jazz, such as Miles Davis, even more offensive, their sartorial choices notwithstanding. My question is, do you think it is possible to be Trad whilst at the same time rejecting American 'music' (e.g., jazz, rap, etc.)? [8D]

You can reject some, but you must accept Cole Porter and Gershwin to name just two.
Cheers

n/a

quote:Originally posted by Old Brompton

I very much dislike all rap music, American or not, but give the Miles Davis album Kind of Blue a listen: it could be life changing. (Sometimes I think you have to be on the right "wave length", i.e drugs to really understand it.) And I may be too young to really grasp the concept of "Trad", but I don't see a conflict there. Myself, I far prefer classical music. Long live Sir Edward Elgar!

Markus

Andersen,

I'm chuckling here, sitting at my computer in my cubicle. The idea of pulling some trad clothes out of the closet to try them on, well, (sheepishly) I did just that the other day since my wife was out of town! [:I] Why? Well, if I'd done it when she was home she would have wondered "what are you getting dressed up for?" When it was really just a matter of seeing how some items went together that I hadn't had a chance to look at before...

I love Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker and the early Pacific Jazz sides (yes, vinyl of course, played on my Linn Sondek via Naim amps) and of course the Blue Note sides are cherished as well. And I've got to add that I'm motivated now to revisit the MJQ and see how they "sit", given the evolution of my ear and taste. My current interests tend towards the soul side of things.

Let me add my encouragement, for what its worth, for you to stop taking off your grey herringbone and pink b-d. Instead, I suggest you put on the outfit described above and invite your wife out for lunch. A spot of tea or perhaps you fancy a cup of coffee. Perhaps with a nice pastry... Anyway, join Russel's assembling army and wave the flag!

In the spirit of the Oneness of Humanity, I am, sincerely,

Markus

Russell Street

Isn't Markus wonderful?

All my Trad life long 'the look' has brought me nothing but pleasure & nothing but contact with very nice people.

Andersen has found a home!

R.

Trimmer

quote:Originally posted by Markus
...yes, vinyl of course...
Markus
...oh wonderful, another vinyl anorak. You into buses also? :D

Actually, nothing like vinyl is there? Sounds so much better than those horrible little CD's! If you're in London, do you visit Ray's Jazz Shop in Shaftesbury Avenue?

Ray's Jazz Shop has now moved to inside Foyle's Book Shop on Charing Cross Road.
Buses 14,19,24,29,38,176

Trimmer

Rich

quote:Originally posted by Markus
...yes, vinyl of course...
Markus
...oh wonderful, another vinyl anorak. You into buses also? :D

Actually, nothing like vinyl is there? Sounds so much better than those horrible little CD's! If you're in London, do you visit Ray's Jazz Shop in Shaftesbury Avenue?

What?! You mean it's still there? Last time I was in there was 1975 - can't remember what I bought... all this talk about jazz makes me want to get out my old Horace Silver LPs (I haven't got the wardrobe to match though).

Russell Street

I'm laughing away here boys!

I loved the old Ray's shop.
Spent ages in there.
Still go to the new one in Foyles - Cheaper Jazz elsewhere, but Ray's deserves support!

R.

Do you boys like the old black cabs too?

Russell Street

V.M. !

Welcome, brother, welcome.

Now repeat after me "If it's not Trad., it's just plain bad."

No more pleats & darts for you, my boy.

Don't you feel better?

R.

Rich

All right then, what about Ronnie Scott's? And the Marquee?
Would Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated be considered a Trad band?

mpcsb

Inactive User
quote:Originally posted by Russell Street

So tempted to get really stupid now & say that you have to drink chowder out of a Weejun blindfolded...

But I won't.

R.

R.
You're risking ex-communication if you utter another word about the initiation ;)
Cheers

Chris H

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
quote:Originally posted by Rich

All right then, what about Ronnie Scott's? And the Marquee?
Would Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated be considered a Trad band?

I used to see the Yardbirds at the Marquee when Eric Clapton was still with them. Alexis Korners Blues Incorporated was a brilliant R&B (in its original sense) band. Cyril Davis and the Rhythm & Blues Allstars were another great band from the same era. Davis was originally in Alexis Korner's band. The term 'trad', when used in regard to music in the UK, usually refers to english jazz bands that played in the 'dixieland' style.

Chris

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.