drpeter

I often read Simon Crompton's Permanent Style blog, and often respond to some of his articles. I find that he puts together an interesting collection of clothing, some more traditional, and some rather more experimental.

In his most recent piece, he talks about Dobrik and Lawton, a small London tailoring firm that experiments with new designs, seeking inspiration from clothes in Hollywood films of the 1930s.

I have a keen interest in where tailoring is going in the future, what sorts of influences and collaborations will create new kinds of clothing, and how the standard items of dress, like a suit or sport coat (or a skirt or dress) will get transformed into newer versions. While their designs may not be for many folks, I think it will be interesting to look at the article and the images Crompton provides.

So I thought I would supply a link to his article, in the spirit of enquiry regarding one direction future trends might take. I welcome your thoughts. Here is the link:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2020/09/dobrik-lawton-dramatic-unique-bespoke-tailoring.html

BTW, I loved the jewellery on Ms Kimberley Lawton's fingers, shown in one of the photographs -- they seem Middle Eastern or at least influenced by items in that part of the world (Bedouin, perhaps, or Touareg?)

delicious_scent

A lot of these remind me of Edward Sexton and Tommy Nutter's work

A very glamorous celebrity look.

I don't think it will become commonplace as I definitely see these as "special occasion" clothes. Those are already dwindling in our often repeated discussions and in our casual era.

I first encountered these type of looks after reading this article.

I was disgusted by the look initially, then I got curious, and now I actually like it. It does look bold, fun, and maybe even casual and extreme. As someone who is easily distracted by shiny things, it definitely appeals to me.

medhat

An interesting topic, what will tailoring look like in the future, and it's the subject of not-infrequent idle thought for me. In general, I don't see why OTR clothing, especially with a future moving online, can't be better fitted for the buyer, something akin to a better SuitSupply or Indochino. I think some significant progress here can come not only from better measurement algorithms, but with technological improvements in fabrics. Once upon a time it was wool and little else, now synthetics are expanding well beyond cheap suiting, and I think the quality has improved exponentially. Stretch and breathability are here to stay, although I think the shrink-to-fit short jackets are less likely to be enduring. I wouldn't be surprised if tailoring gets a bit more austere and a bit more commodity-like, leaving designs with more flair to bespoke makers. I unfortunately think pant cuffs are unlikely to make a return, and as a former surgeon I wouldn't be at all surprised to see working and non-working cuffs, and the buttons that accompany them, eventually disappear from suit sleeves. This actually opens up the opportunity to do some novel things with suit cuffs, such as finishing them on something other than simply perpendicularly across. There's no hard and fast rule that the exposed shirt cuff has to be 1/4 - 1/2" the entire way around; having a touch extra length along the outer aspect of a suit sleeve could be a cool look. But ultimately I hope for a future so bright I gotta wear shades.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.