Men's Clothing Forums banner

The Shooting Thread

96K views 1K replies 22 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
Here is a shot my friend took of me on the sporting clays range on Saturday at Blalock Lakes just south of Atlanta where I own some property. https://www.blalocklakes.com/

The hat is an Orvis fedora. The shirt is a vintage 1960s LL Bean cruiser, the trousers are a wool US army surplus from the 40s, the boots are Russell Moccasin and the shotgun is a 1983 Remington 1100 my father bought new.

Enjoy the Autumn.

Cheers,

BSR

Plant People in nature Sky Air gun Tree

See less See more
#2 ·
As soon as I get the barrels back from Briley, I'll be taking my new trap/sporting clays O/U to the local gun club for coaching and clays fun every Saturday morning. It's been far, far too long.

#12 ·
I took two guns, my 1966 16ga Browning FN sweet 16 and my 1972 12ga Winchester 101 O/U which was made in Japan. Both guns are anvils.

I mention this because my friends favor fiddley Italian made Semi autos which often misfeed and shed various bits in the field. My vintage guns, which have almost a century of use between them and thousands of rounds fired, have never failed me in the field, not a single time...ever.

I am looking to purchase a new gun so that I can give the old guns more rest, but I am torn about what to purchase. I am almost of the mind to pay a premium for a virtually new out of the box vintage gun given that I value reliability and proven performance over buying the “must have” gun and bore de Jour.

If pressed to purchase new, I think a new Connecticut Shotgun Co. product is where I would put my $ if I decide to jump toward a new purchase.

Cheers,

BSR

#13 ·
I took two guns, my 1966 16ga Browning FN sweet 16 and my 1972 12ga Winchester 101 O/U which was made in Japan. Both guns are anvils.

I mention this because my friends favor fiddley Italian made Semi autos which often misfeed and shed various bits in the field. My vintage guns, which have almost a century of use between them and thousands of rounds fired, have never failed me in the field, not a single time...ever.

I am looking to purchase a new gun so that I can give the old guns more rest, but I am torn about what to purchase. I am almost of the mind to pay a premium for a virtually new out of the box vintage gun given that I value reliability and proven performance over buying the "must have" gun and bore de Jour.

If pressed to purchase new, I think a new Connecticut Shotgun Co. product is where I would put my $ if I decide to jump toward a new purchase.

Cheers,

BSR
Vintage? So would I. Last year I wanted a Ruger .22 semi-auto to shoot forest grouse with and while in the shop stumbled across a S&W K22 Masterpiece looking lonely and forlorn in the case. I bought both and took them to the range. After a magazine fired from one and a cylinder fired from the other guess which one will be headed into the pines next trip!

#21 ·
Next year I am considering taking two guns again, my 12 ga Remington 870 wing master pump with a 30” full choke and either my browning sweet 16 or my Winchester 101.

There were many long shots I was unable to make with my 26” skeet choked 101 so the Remington will extend my range considerably. My 101 is deadly up to 35 yards, but beyond that it is not great. I had not been able to practice with the sweet 16 prior to the hunt because my clay range requires steel shot and I am not running steel through my Dads antique gun.

Cheers,

BSR

#28 ·
Which is an interesting product for a Japanese company, given the severe restrictions on firearms ownership in the country. However, my Browning Ultra-light is also by Miroku and it has served me well over the years.

#33 ·
#34 ·
This year I got the chance to purchase a Darne sliding breech 16 ga. When I start getting coached on the clays range in January, it's one I will concentrate on. It's a brilliant concept and one I hope to employ next dove season. French engineers have long thought so far outside the box you can't see it in the rear view mirror.

Twig Wood Gun barrel Air gun Tree

Reactions: ran23