eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
That appears to be a K3. There is something special about a single shot rifle.
"One shot, one kill!" Most of my hunting of larger game over the past 60 years has been with bolt action and/or lever action rifles. Additional rounds were available to me, but I'm pleased to say in all that time, not a single critter has required more than a single round to take down! Hunting here in the US with a single shot piece is quite possible, but I for one would welcome the comfort provided by additional rounds in the rifle hunting in more exotic areas of this beautiful world of ours. Just sayin.....;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
That appears to be a K3. There is something special about a single shot rifle.
"One shot, one kill!" Most of my hunting of larger game over the past 60 years has been with bolt action and/or lever action rifles. Additional rounds were available to me, but I'm pleased to say in all that time, not a single critter has required more than a single round to take down! Hunting here in the US with a single shot piece is quite possible, but I for one would welcome the comfort provided by additional rounds in the rifle hunting in more exotic areas of this beautiful world of ours. Just sayin.....;)
It is and chambered in .243. I should have preferred 7x57 or 8x57 but that would have cost me at least another $1,000 so,

I have learned (rather the hard way) that a bolt gun (preferably a Mauser 98) is the affordable choice for the adage, "When in elephant country, carry an elephant rifle.." The same applies to grizzly country or tiger country. Should I ever return to Africa on a gun safari, I shall not make the error of leaving my .450 in the safe. There is a limit to how much excitement I can tolerate . . .

eagle2250

It is and chambered in .243. I should have preferred 7x57 or 8x57 but that would have cost me at least another $1,000 so,

I have learned (rather the hard way) that a bolt gun (preferably a Mauser 98) is the affordable choice for the adage, "When in elephant country, carry an elephant rifle.." The same applies to grizzly country or tiger country. Should I ever return to Africa on a gun safari, I shall not make the error of leaving my .450 in the safe. There is a limit to how much excitement I can tolerate . . .
Sage counsel, for sure, my friend. I must admit when hunting for wild hogs locally and having been told they are aggressive and will perhaps attack the hunter, it was comforting knowing I had back up shots available, if the first didn't take him down. ;)

challer

The wild pigs have found VA and when hunting them or in their range, a bolt action and a backup 10mm is normal, same with brownies. Otherwise, I've never taken a second shot from a bolt action . Stalking is where the single shot shines.

Big T

Lovely conversation, in this thread, and one that would be most fun at our hunting camp, either sitting on the porch, or in front of the fireplace!

I have three single shots: one Ruger #1 and two of the new Henry’s. I hunted with the Ruger, but never took any game. The Henry’s are really fun to shoot, but not in the field (yet). Henry makes shotguns on the same frame, and a single 16 will be making it my way in the near future.

eagle2250

Lovely conversation, in this thread, and one that would be most fun at our hunting camp, either sitting on the porch, or in front of the fireplace!

I have three single shots: one Ruger #1 and two of the new Henry’s. I hunted with the Ruger, but never took any game. The Henry’s are really fun to shoot, but not in the field (yet). Henry makes shotguns on the same frame, and a single 16 will be making it my way in the near future.
A single barrel 16 Gauge Stevens's Shotgun was my first Thunder stick when I was first introduced to hunting at the ripe old age of 12 years!
I decimated the central Pennsylvania squirrel and cottontail populations with that sweet thunder stick.. The Stevens was followed a year later when a Westernfield bolt action in .243 caliber was added to my collection....and the White Tail population became concerned, but not too concerned. LOL. ;)

Big T

A single barrel 16 Gauge Stevens's Shotgun was my first Thunder stick when I was first introduced to hunting at the ripe old age of 12 years!
I decimated the central Pennsylvania squirrel and cottontail populations with that sweet thunder stick.. The Stevens was followed a year later when a Westernfield bolt action in .243 caliber was added to my collection....and the White Tail population became concerned, but not too concerned. LOL. ;)
Same here! You ought to take a look at the Henry single shot, for nostalgia purposes!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.