Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
tumblr_6f451762af4d7ce095f0fb3d09dd5e15_1ef340a8_1280.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Write-up tomorrow but here are the pix.

View attachment 61442

View attachment 61443

My shoulders span 18" inches, more or less, so you can see how wide the billy's spread goes. He will score easily in the Safari Club record book.

Outstanding hunt! It seems we will soon be seeing two additional trophies adorning the walls of Oldsarge's hunting den. Your's is a life so very well lived, my friend. ;)

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
The goat was taken with a Merkel D3 kipplauf in .243 and the buck with a Ruger American in .30'06 wearing a Trijicon scope. One shot at 305 yards. I'm shopping for that rig as we speak. It might just replace the entire rest of my gun safe. 😁

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
So I flew to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines, something I won't repeat. The snacks/food are substandard and the counter staff less than reasonable/accommodating to hunters. However, once there, you won't believe the amount of game on the island. Goats and Axis deer, pigs (which in the current drought are looking very lean and poorly) four kinds of dove, two species of francolin, turkey and chukar. And since these are all imported their only predator walks on two legs. Still, the hunting is hard. This is mostly due to the terrain which is volcanic. The rocks all roll out from under your feet and if you fall on it will take the flesh off your bones. As I age, especially after three injuries this last year, my balance is weakening. This trip has convinced me to invest in a pair of hiking staves so that I can imitate the wildlife and keep three points on the ground at all times. The human gait has been described as a controlled fall and I want to stay well under control. Naturally, to get around we drove in a quad runner OTV and did a lot of glassing. We spotted several monster bucks which I couldn't hit. This new rifle/scope combo and I are going back to the range for some serious woodshedding. However, as we drove we spotted some dark backs. Hmm, goats. Whoppee-doo. Then their heads came up. Holy moly. The biggest one the guide described as the goat of a lifetime and I believed it. We just went into patience mode and eventually the old billy got out where I could see him for a clear shot. Spined him. Needless to say that brightened up the entire day. After lunch, we went back out and hunted until it was nearly dark and as the light was failing the guides daughter (brilliant young woman) spotted one way up on the mountain side. The guide loaned me his rifle (Ruger American in 30'06 with a Trijicon scope) and I set up the shooting sticks and squeezed off a shot on it's shoulder. Dropped him. That was the longest shot I've ever taken on game, 305 yards! I looked down at the rifle and decided that I need to get one of these.

Anyway, they will send the skulls to the taxidermist and since all I want is Euro mounts I should have them on the fireplace by Thanksgiving. The meat comes next week. I'll take the venison down to my local game butcher for professional cutting. The goat? Strongly seasoned sausage and lots of birria tacos. I'm looking forward to this.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange