Men's Clothing Forums banner

The Three-piece Suit Thread

31K views 188 replies 33 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
Outerwear Coat White Dress shirt Neck

See less See more
#5 ·
By three-piece suit am I to assume you don't mean a suit in three pieces, like the one I have after that run-in with the bear? I like what you've shown. The suit and everything about it. But not the shirt, tie nor pocket square. Not a fan of the kalidascope look. Nor of pocket squares in general, unless your nose runs a lot. Or you're a Mississippi river boat gambler, for which you'd also need a tiny moustache.

#8 ·
Derringers are hard on the hands and snubbies are hard on the ears. Better a stout walking stick so you can just pound the bounder properly. Save the CCW for 'last resort' situations.

#21 ·
I haven't been able to embrace the DB waistcoat. For a young man with abs like a washboard, maybe, but for the remaining 99% of us duffers with an extra 15 in the middle, I don't think it is a flattering look.

Cheers,

BSR
At 70 years of age, Samuel L. Jackson still has abs like a washboard. At 40 years of age, the husband of the woman in my avatar also still has abs like a washboard.

#14 ·
When I was ordering the tweed jacket yesterday, Divij Hemrajani had on the most exquisite 3-piece. He's quite tall and slim so the cut of it flattered him enormously. On me it would look silly. Sadly, I didn't take a picture of it.

#18 · (Edited)
^^
Alas, 20 pounds lost would be but a start, but jeez Louise, I'm working on it! However I still find myself put off by that monochrome grey rig. Reminds me of a character named the "Grey Man" from one of Stephen King's old novels...I believe the title was "Dream Catcher.' Those darned "shit weasels" were enough to give any guy a case of the bad dreams! LOL. :crazy:

#20 ·
You are not the first retailer from whom I have heard such comments.

For myself, I like three-piece suits, both with single and double-breasted waistcoats. I was at Ralph Lauren's mansion at 72nd and Madison recently, and he has, RTW, a navy windowpane double-breasted three-piece suit, with a double-breasted waistcoat. The waistcoat was quite handsome, but fit me like the skin on a sausage, as opposed to the jacket, which fit quite well and comfortably, but overall, the effect was rather odd - all beautiful pieces, but one cannot see the waistcoat when the jacket is buttoned, and wearing a double-breasted jacket open may take a bit more bravado that I am normally able to muster.

Now, if the suit remains on the rack, and gets marked down seriously this spring, maybe I'll pull the trigger - a misplaced sense of thrift can cause better judgment to be seriously clouded ;).

#31 ·
A suit with an odd waistcoat isn't a 3-piece, it's a 2-piece with an odd waistcoat. Nothing wrong with that but it's not a 3-piece suit.

#36 ·
For all the talk about washboard abdomens and whatnot, in my experience at least, the vest/waistcoat is far less forgiving of minor gains and loss in weight than the other garments that comprise the suit. I inherited a bunch of fine three-piece suits as a very young man, but I haven't worn a vest in close to 50 years, except as part of my rental finery at my second wedding, when I looked like a complete costume doofus.

#37 ·
^^
Our two grandsons, as high school grapplers, can legitimately claim washboard abs and there were times in my life when I sported an absolutely flat abdomen, but never the fabled "six-pack!" Even when I could claim status as a wannabe three sport high school athlete, I could never unveil the six-pack...I guess my BMI was just too high:(. However, over the past 50+ years I have discovered a properly fitted wardrobe can hide many ills! LOL. ;)