The various widths of stripes on ties

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
My ties are few but lovely, more paisleys and neats than stripes. I like to wear stripes with a blazer or a herringbone, and even though my rules say to avoid mixing stripes, I like awning stripes and even bar stripes in strong colors (red and white or orange and navy) with seersucker in its traditional blue and white stripe. As I began looking at striped bowties I found far more choices than I had expected. There are 1/2", 3/4", jockey stripes of about 1/4", and bar stripes of about 1/8" spaced about 1". On a bow it seems harder to see the individual stripes as they get up in that 3/4" range, but jockey stripes always seemed a little busy if they have bright colors, sort of a strobing effect. So I lean towards 1/2" or bar. I apologize to Peak and Pine for calling them stripes. At least I have not invoked regimentals! What say you?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
My friend, I prefer the bar stripes in the application you described in the opening post. You are trying to make a statement on a potentially bald/empty/plain field and the stripes you choose must be up to the task. Although, I must admit that the last four or five times I've worn a navy blazer it was with an open collared, knit polo shirt. Good luck in your hunt. ;)

drpeter

I have an enormous number of ties with all sorts of stripes and other patterns, and in both bow tie and four-in-hand formats. I do not have bar code stripes (I do not like them, they are too busy). Most of the stripes I have are regimental or repp. I do have 1/2" and even some one-inch stripes. My preference is for one or two colours against a light background, or simply just the two colours.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
My friend, I prefer the bar stripes in the application you described in the opening post. You are trying to make a statement on a potentially bald/empty/plain field and the stripes you choose must be up to the task. Although, I must admit that the last four or five times I've worn a navy blazer it was with an open collared, knit polo shirt. Good luck in your hunt. ;)
Many thanks. Among the many benefits of being a wearer of bowties they are far less expensive! My next will probably a navy blue and gold in either a bar stripe or a 1/2". Another benefit of the bow is that it is small enough to drop into your pocket and easy to tie. Of course the greatest benefit is that it is relatively safe to eat soup or pasta when wearing one!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Many thanks. Among the many benefits of being a wearer of bowties they are far less expensive! My next will probably a navy blue and gold in either a bar stripe or a 1/2". Another benefit of the bow is that it is small enough to drop into your pocket and easy to tie. Of course the greatest benefit is that it is relatively safe to eat soup or pasta when wearing one!

You are going to do what(!)? Did you say, buy your next bow tie "in a navy blue and gold bar stripe?" Mrs Eagle is a Wolverine and will be glad to hear that, but I am a Nittany Lion and must remind you the wolverines treated the Nittany Lions pretty badly on the gridiron for far too many years and are just recently teaching the wolverines some lessons in respect. Are you sure you don't want your next tie to be a navy and white stripe? LOL. In any event, enjoy your new tie! ;)

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
You are going to do what(!)? Did you say, buy your next bow tie "in a navy blue and gold bar stripe?" Mrs Eagle is a Wolverine and will be glad to hear that, but I am a Nittany Lion and must remind you the wolverines treated the Nittany Lions pretty badly on the gridiron for far too many years and are just recently teaching the wolverines some lessons in respect. Are you sure you don't want your next tie to be a navy and white stripe? LOL. In any event, enjoy your new tie! ;)
Gold, not maize! And with a brother and sister in law who attended a school in New Haven whose colors are blue and white, I just can't go there!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange