SplurgeFrugal1

My tastes in vehicles are, shall we say, a bit more pragmatic? I love taking long road trips. Twelve years ago I spent three months driving cross-country and three months exploring the southwestern USA. This was my vehicle of choice - the under-appreciated Lincoln Town Car (seen here during a tour of Sedona, Arizona).

towncar.jpg

My friends, when you're driving 300-400 miles a day for weeks at a time, there is nothing finer (try that in a Ford GT). At rest stops, while others looked haggard and worn out from noise fatigue and bumpy rides in far sportier chariots, I emerged from my living room on wheels refreshed and looking forward to the miles ahead. I pay homage to the ultimate American luxobarge. We had some great trips together!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
In my friends garage. San Jose, Costa Rica.

I absolutely love this car!

View attachment 40839 View attachment 40840 View attachment 40841 View attachment 40842

Cheers,

BSR
Ah, the MB 220SL. I have fond memories. In college my fiancé and I had the opportunity to sing in a church choir under the direction of the renowned sacred music composer Dale Wood. Another couple, a tenor and his main squeeze joined us and Dale would pick us up every Sunday morning and Thursday evening in his 220. Imagine, if you will, the challenge of fitting three 6' men and two normal sized young women into one of those. 😁

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
"Given a choice," I would pick the Classic Woody Wagon. I was so enchanted with the "Woody" that almost a stat of desperation I bought one of those re-created Woody wagons put out by Chrysler, but alas, that was a mistake. The LeBaron wagons incorporated plastic (not real) wood in the design and as the wood tone faded out after a couple of years in the sun, it just looked hooky! Lesson learned....never settle for less than the real thing. ;)

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
Ah, the MB 220SL. I have fond memories. In college my fiancé and I had the opportunity to sing in a church choir under the direction of the renowned sacred music composer Dale Wood. Another couple, a tenor and his main squeeze joined us and Dale would pick us up every Sunday morning and Thursday evening in his 220. Imagine, if you will, the challenge of fitting three 6' men and two normal sized young women into one of those. 😁
I double checked yesterday. It is a 230. I looked online and they sell for between $40-50k in nice condition. Not crazy expensive.

Cheers,

BSR

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
This silly looking thing is a Messerschmidt. My in-laws owned one, once.

View attachment 40870
Europe made a bunch of small "cute" cars post WWII.

"Given a choice," I would pick the Classic Woody Wagon. I was so enchanted with the "Woody" that almost a stat of desperation I bought one of those re-created Woody wagons put out by Chrysler, but alas, that was a mistake. The LeBaron wagons incorporated plastic (not real) wood in the design and as the wood tone faded out after a couple of years in the sun, it just looked hooky! Lesson learned....never settle for less than the real thing. ;)
Tough choice, I'd love to own a real Woody wagon, but the last ember of teenager still burning in me would die out if I ever passed up the opportunity to own a Ferrari. Considering that I live in NYC and probably couldn't afford to garage either (let alone buy the car itself), there is no risk, but gun to my head in fantasy world, I think I'd choose reigniting the last mote of my youth.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Europe made a bunch of small "cute" cars post WWII.

Tough choice, I'd love to own a real Woody wagon, but the last ember of teenager still burning in me would die out if I ever passed up the opportunity to own a Ferrari. Considering that I live in NYC and probably couldn't afford to garage either (let alone buy the car itself), there is no risk, but gun to my head in fantasy world, I think I'd choose reigniting the last mote of my youth.
Well, my youthful spark hides under the bed whimpering for a woody. If I ever did get one, I'd probably move back to SoCal and try and take my aging body down to the beach for surfing lessons. Death would doubtless follow soon after.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.