Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The woman: Anita Ekberg

The car: Late '50s Jag. A white exterior with red leather interior is a classic sports-car combo for a reason. (I bet some guys here can narrow the model and year down further).

anita-ekberg-on-her-jaguar-late-1950s_u-l-p6rg650.jpg

Also, is that a lock on the gas tank door? I didn't think they were doing that back then.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The woman: Anita Ekberg

The car: Late '50s Jag. A white exterior with red leather interior is a classic sports-car combo for a reason. (I bet some guys here can narrow the model and year down further).

View attachment 48314

Also, is that a lock on the gas tank door? I didn't think they were doing that back then.
Looking good, on all counts! If I am not mistaken, Anita is sitting on the gas cap...I think they were centered at the top of the collar around the cockpit....yes, no? :icon_scratch:;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The King of Cool in one of his many cool cars:
e571ac2c572ac77cfcb0cea88183beba.jpg

And if you are wondering why he's the King of Cool, first, see the movie "Bullitt" and, then, read the McQueen reference in the lyrics to the Rolling Stone's song "Star, Star."

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
If so - and I don't doubt you - do you have a guess as to what the small cutout her left hand is resting on is?
Count me as one 'know-it-all' admitting to be at a loss. I simply recall seeing pictures of old Jags with a big silver disc, what I believed at the time was a gas cap access, centered t the back collar of the cockpit/passenger compartment. Sorry, I can't offer any more detail(s). LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Count me as one 'know-it-all' admitting to be at a loss. I simply recall seeing pictures of old Jags with a big silver disc, what I believed at the time was a gas cap access, centered t the back collar of the cockpit/passenger compartment. Sorry, I can't offer any more detail(s). LOL. ;)
I assure you, I know less than you. I am curious though as, if that isn't the gas-tank opening under her left hand, then what the heck is it?

David J. Cooper

In the photo, her hand is on the gas cap access door. I found a photo of a trunk and you can see the bulkhead that would enclose the filler hose in that area. This car is an XK 140

The large disc type filler lids seem to be on the XK 120 models as near as I can tell from photos. On both models the filler is on the left side of the car.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.