eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
In my queue of personal favorites, this one, as the kids would say, is trending:
View attachment 50638
The body of that magnificent beast makes for a beautiful redhead! However, considering the low slug stance, stiff suspension and cramped cockpit, she is nice to look at and perhaps even lust after, but I suspect she might make for a decidedly punishing ride for some of us! I think I will stick with my Cadillac! LOL. ;)

TKI67

Yesterday afternoon I went to the grocery store, and my little thirteen year old Oxford green Mini S convertible parked next to a new bright red Ferrari. I think it was a Spider Convertible but am not sufficiently versed in current Ferraris to be sure. It is humbling to park a car you think is pretty cool next to one for which a set of tires would cost more than your whole car could fetch! I'll bet he was buying halibut or rib lamb chops! I got dog treats.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The body of that magnificent beast makes for a beautiful redhead! However, considering the low slug stance, stiff suspension and cramped cockpit, she is nice to look at and perhaps even lust after, but I suspect she might make for a decidedly punishing ride for some of us! I think I will stick with my Cadillac! LOL. ;)
Since it's all fantasy, I can have the magnificent beast plus another more comfortable car for every day. Oh heck, since it's all in my mind, I'll have more than one fun car. :)

Yesterday afternoon I went to the grocery store, and my little thirteen year old Oxford green Mini S convertible parked next to a new bright red Ferrari. I think it was a Spider Convertible but am not sufficiently versed in current Ferraris to be sure. It is humbling to park a car you think is pretty cool next to one for which a set of tires would cost more than your whole car could fetch! I'll bet he was buying halibut or rib lamb chops! I got dog treats.
This reminds me of a private banker I used to work with - what are you talking about FF? As do most AAAC member, I dress pretty well and usually was the nicest dressed guy in the room at work - not necessarily with the most expensive clothes - but well-tailored and matched, at least, IMO.

But for several years, I worked with a private banker (my trading team supported his team's clients) and he was always dressed impeccably in beautiful suits, shirt, ties that were either custom or from the uber-luxury top brands. And this guy knew how to buy clothes, have them tailored and assembled into an outfit.

He always - every single day - looked like he walked out of a Savile Row shop. As with your very nice car parked next to the Ferrari, I always felt a bit humbled when I was in a meeting with him.

I kid you not, I would joke with my girlfriend at night, as we finished a dinner of leftover sammies, screw-top wine, followed up by us washing the dishes and taking the dog out for a walk that this man probably had just finished having his butler serve him a meal the equivalent of the finest five-star restaurant with a bottle of vintage blah, blah, blah from the side of the wine list that I never even look at.

TKI67

Since it's all fantasy, I can have the magnificent beast plus another more comfortable car for every day. Oh heck, since it's all in my mind, I'll have more than one fun car. :)

This reminds me of a private banker I used to work with - what are you talking about FF? As do most AAAC member, I dress pretty well and usually was the nicest dressed guy in the room at work - not necessarily with the most expensive clothes - but well-tailored and matched, at least, IMO.

But for several years, I worked with a private banker (my trading team supported his team's clients) and he was always dressed impeccably in beautiful suits, shirt, ties that were either custom or from the uber-luxury top brands. And this guy knew how to buy clothes, have them tailored and assembled into an outfit.

He always - every single day - looked like he walked out of a Savile Row shop. As with your very nice car parked next to the Ferrari, I always felt a bit humbled when I was in a meeting with him.

I kid you not, I would joke with my girlfriend at night, as we finished a dinner of leftover sammies, screw-top wine, followed up by us washing the dishes and taking the dog out for a walk that this man probably had just finished having his butler serve him a meal the equivalent of the finest five-star restaurant with a bottle of vintage blah, blah, blah from the side of the wine list that I never even look at.
One of the things I love about being hardcore TNSIL is being OTR except for the occasional sweater or socks knitted by a loved one.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
One of the things I love about being hardcore TNSIL is being OTR except for the occasional sweater or socks knitted by a loved one.
You're spot on. This guy was not TNSIL, but more English with a Continental flair.

Even if I had his budget for clothes, I wouldn't dress the way he did, but I respected that he had both money and taste.

I lot of guys on Wall St spend ridiculous amounts of money on clothes, but don't look well turned out - expensive, but not well done. This guy knew what he was doing.

London380sl

450 sl shooting brake 2.jpg

Here something you'll likely never see - a Mercedes 450Sl Shooting Brake. Too bad Mercedes never made these cars. Somebody took a 1979 450sl Convertible and made it into a wagon. There are few things I dislike about the car, such as wheels, but In my opinion they did a real nice conversion job. Sold On Bring a Trailer a couple of years ago for $30,000. For more pics and description go here:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-mercedes-benz-450sl-5/

Reminds of the Mustang wagon concept cars that were floated in the 60'S

Mutangwagon-550x365.jpg

fishertw

Advanced Member
Dedicated sports car race fans. The fellow in the 356 has only one seat. The rest of the space is we View attachment 50816
View attachment 50854

Here something you'll likely never see - a Mercedes 450Sl Shooting Brake. Too bad Mercedes never made these cars. Somebody took a 1979 450sl Convertible and made it into a wagon. There are few things I dislike about the car, such as wheels, but In my opinion they did a real nice conversion job. Sold On Bring a Trailer a couple of years ago for $30,000. For more pics and description go here:
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-mercedes-benz-450sl-5/

Reminds of the Mustang wagon concept cars that were floated in the 60'S

View attachment 50855
I think the Mustang would not have been called shooting brake but a shag wagon.

Dhaller

Advanced Member
I came very close to buying an XK120 when I was in college. I happened upon one for sale in some used car lot, in heavy need of restoration... it was $5000 or thereabouts.

British racing green is definitely it's rightful color.

To this day I an at once (1) thankful and (2) full of regrets that I didn't buy it.

(I bought and restored an Austin Healy instead.)

DH

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals