London380sl

I can't think of a better way for Ford to have destroyed a brand - the Mustang - associate with youth, racing and fun than to have put out a Mustang station wagon model. Was that really something Ford considered?
It was. And I can see the advantage of such a car. It addressed the biggest problem of sporty cars - limited carrying capacity.

GM also developed a couple of concept sports wagon such as the 1956 Corvette Nomad wagon.

1956 corvette cutom Nomad.jpg

More famously they produced the concept Trans Am Sports Wagon in the late 70's.
Transam wagon.jpg

I remember this one. It was considered for production but was killed when the cost proved to be too prohibitive. The car did make it to television in 1979
1979-Firebird-Type-K-Garner-Dahlquist-.jpg
making a guest appearance on the Rockford Files.

European car companies have made production Shooting Brakes versions of their cars.

The most famous, and my favorite, is the Volvo 1800 ES from the early 70's.

Volvo 1800 es wagon.jpg

BMW came out with Z3 coupe in 1999.
z3 coupe.jpg

Even Ferrari has created a shooting brake in 2017 - The FF

Ferrari FF 2019.jpg

Dhaller

Advanced Member
When I was in college $5000 would have kept my wife and I fed and housed for the entire year.
In my defense, I did have a "full ride" for college which covered tuition and added a stipend for housing, food, and books.

And I don't drink, so I never went bars, parties, or "clubs"... but I *am* a committed Petrol Head. I also hadn't discovered *nice* clothes yet (I blame my Parisian girlfriend who came along in my senior year for that...)

So... cars it was!

DH

fishertw

Advanced Member
The Volvo 1800 - a car I've liked for 40+ years - is still on my radar. At some point, if I can find a fully restored (since I'm out of the restoration game at this point) or immaculately kept ES version at a decent price, I may buy one... right after I expand my garage?

DH
I think growing the garage is a must for any of us who need to "let out the belt" so to speak.
I did sit in a P1800 when I bought my 142 while in College in about 1971. Loved them ever since.

TKI67

I think growing the garage is a must for any of us who need to "let out the belt" so to speak.
I did sit in a P1800 when I bought my 142 while in College in about 1971. Loved them ever since.
My automotive crush in 1971 was the BMW three liter coupe, closely followed by the Bavaria. I ended up with a 2002 and wish I still had it.

fishertw

Advanced Member
My automotive crush in 1971 was the BMW three liter coupe, closely followed by the Bavaria. I ended up with a 2002 and wish I still had it.
My best friend in NC is currently restoring two 2002's that he bought from a guy as a pair. One had a title and one did not. He researched and found the title to the second one and will have both running soon. He also has a Z3 and a recent model 5 series so he is besotted with BMW's

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals