Troones

I have a habit of being unsatisfied with the stock buttons on tweed sport coats and I usually like to swap them out for these types of leather (or fake leather) buttons. There's nothing wrong with the existing buttons on this jacket. The problem lies solely with me.

With that in mind, I wondered if I might get some opinions on whether this button color is suitable for a white/black herringbone tweed. Do you think the brown of this button is out of place on the black/white? Would black buttons be better?

button.jpg

Matt S

Connoisseur
I usually swap out leather buttons on tweed jackets for horn, but the leather buttons seem particularly appropriate here considering it’s an Ivy style jacket. The colours of your tweed jacket are black and cream rather than black and white (pure white tweed isn’t usually a thing), so I think the brown buttons go well with the overall warm look of the jacket. If it were a black and grey tweed, I would say black buttons are a must. You can change the buttons to black if you like, but I think the brown are fine, especially if you plan to wear brown shoes with the jacket.

StephenRG

Honors Member
I usually swap out leather buttons on tweed jackets for horn, but the leather buttons seem particularly appropriate here considering it’s an Ivy style jacket. The colours of your tweed jacket are black and cream rather than black and white (pure white tweed isn’t usually a thing), so I think the brown buttons go well with the overall warm look of the jacket. If it were a black and grey tweed, I would say black buttons are a must. You can change the buttons to black if you like, but I think the brown are fine, especially if you plan to wear brown shoes with the jacket.
Is there a photo of the b&w jacket in addition to the brown herringbone? I'm only seeing a brown one.

Woofa

One of the things I love about shopping at thrift stores is an opportunity to buy items so cheaply that it can be worth purchasing just for the buttons. I have previously bought Oxxford pieces just to harvest the buttons. This is even better if you can also use the jacket. For <$10 a set you might be able to get a small collection going for little money. I find this especially true here in Texas for older tweed sport coats which Can often be found even cheaper as no one here is going to wear a 40 year old tweed. Some of those old tweeds are beautiful but really, not cold enough for me to buy them. But the buttons, horn or leather are often very high quality. If you can do this it might be easier to see how a button looks by placing it on the jacket you like. i find this visual reference much easier in deciding if I like a button on a jacket.
good luck.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Is there a photo of the b&w jacket in addition to the brown herringbone? I'm only seeing a brown one.
He said it’s black and white, but pure wool generally can not be white. I’m seeing something that is black and cream, which reads as brown. Could be dark brown and cream, but you can always trust the colours you see in photos.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
He said it’s black and white, but pure wool generally can not be white. I’m seeing something that is black and cream, which reads as brown. Could be dark brown and cream, but you can always trust the colours you see in photos.
As somebody who has owned and owns way too many things herringbone, @Matt S, as always, in this and his previous post in this thread, gets to the core of the issue with an insider's knowledge.

As he notes, I've never seen a black and white herringbone. Instead, the ones I have and have seen/owned are black and grey (which reads clearly in the grey family, i.e., no brown), black and cream (which, depending on the tone of both colors, can read more black and white or somewhat "brownish") and brown and cream (which reads brown family).

It's really important that you take whatever item you're looking at in a store to a window to see it in natural light as these herringbones can look dramatically different in sunlight than they look in the store.

As to buttons (from memory and just peeking at my closet), the black and grey ones almost always have black buttons; the black and white ones can have either black or in-the-brown-family buttons; the brown and cream ones can have black or in-the-brown-family buttons, but usually the latter.

Troones

Actually, your post made me inspect my jacket closer, and the photo I posted is not presenting the colors very well at all. Blame the lighting in my place plus the lousy BlackBerry (yep, BlackBerry) camera!:(

It turns out it is indeed black and grey, not black and cream as it appears in that photo. Here's another one but again, the colors are not how they truly appear in person....
closeup 2.jpg

What gave me the idea to consider brown was a recent re-run of an episode of Seinfeld from the 9th season. Jerry, George and Kramer go to a dealership when Jerry is buying a new car. A salesman approaches Kramer. He's wearing a really nice black/grey tweed, with an action-back, brown elbow patches, and brown buttons. It looked good to me but I wasn't sure if they were intentionally trying to make the salesman look gaudy due to the popular stereotype. Hence my question here.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Actually, your post made me inspect my jacket closer, and the photo I posted is not presenting the colors very well at all. Blame the lighting in my place plus the lousy BlackBerry (yep, BlackBerry) camera!:(

It turns out it is indeed black and grey, not black and cream as it appears in that photo. Here's another one but again, the colors are not how they truly appear in person....
View attachment 49859

What gave me the idea to consider brown was a recent re-run of an episode of Seinfeld from the 9th season. Jerry, George and Kramer go to a dealership when Jerry is buying a new car. A salesman approaches Kramer. He's wearing a really nice black/grey tweed, with an action-back, brown elbow patches, and brown buttons. It looked good to me but I wasn't sure if they were intentionally trying to make the salesman look gaudy due to the popular stereotype. Hence my question here.
For your coat, I'd prefer black buttons. But since your coat looks like the grey is very light (from the pic which, as you said, is what it is), it could probably handle a brown button.

Maybe the real question is what do you want? Are you looking to wear the coat with more browns and earth tones or more grey colors? I have several herringbone sport coats - a few grey ones with black buttons, a black and cream one with brown buttons and an oatmeal one with brown buttons, so I don't need anyone to do too much.

I'd go so far as to say that, if your budget allowed for it, two herringbone sport coats is a good investment - one grey with black buttons and one brown/cream/taupe/oatmeal one with brown ones.

Since my iPhone is five years old, I'm not making fun of anyone, but I didn't know Blackberry's were still out there. The last one I had was a company one around '08 that I remember playing brick-breaker on, on company time. :)

Troones

For your coat, I'd prefer black buttons. But since your coat looks like the grey is very light (from the pic which, as you said, is what it is), it could probably handle a brown button.

Maybe the real question is what do you want? Are you looking to wear the coat with more browns and earth tones or more grey colors? I have several herringbone sport coats - a few grey ones with black buttons, a black and cream one with brown buttons and an oatmeal one with brown buttons, so I don't need anyone to do too much.

I'd go so far as to say that, if your budget allowed for it, two herringbone sport coats is a good investment - one grey with black buttons and one brown/cream/taupe/oatmeal one with brown ones.

Since my iPhone is five years old, I'm not making fun of anyone, but I didn't know Blackberry's were still out there. The last one I had was a company one around '08 that I remember playing brick-breaker on, on company time. :)
By coincidence, I just noticed that you posted a black/grey tweed in the Tweed Season thread yesterday (post #4,797) that is actually a perfect representation of my jacket. My phone just can't seem to pick up the colors as they appear to the naked eye.

I actually do have an olive herringbone tweed from J. Press as well as a grey and cream one. The olive one is too big for me now due to some weight loss. And I have another olive with check overlay from Orvis that does fit me at my current weight.

Yes, I reallly need to upgrade my phone. BlackBerry doesn't even support the BB10 platform any longer and their current phones run on Android.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.