Thrift store blues & brags

tonyanthony1970

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Haven't posted in a while. I decent haul over the past few days. I will post photos once I figure out how to work my camera.

Burburys Overcoat/Driving Coat - Available
Tradition British Khaki Tan with Nova Plaid lining. Coat features a luxurious, zippered, removable wool lining and button on collar for added warmth and comfort on cooler days. Sleeves and yoke are lined in silky smooth Bemberg for easy on/off and layering
Details are numerous: classy double breasted design, working shoulder epaulettes...hook and eye throat latch seals the whole program up tight in severest conditions...adjustable waist belt (long enough for the tied look)...adjustable, barrel cuffs for a custom fit...raglan sleeve style for mobility and unrestricted fit...roomy cut for layering over a blazer/business suit ... center back pleat for mobility/sitting and highest quality tailoring throughout.

London Fog Rain Coat
Canali F/F Grey Wool Trousers
BB Brown Wool Trousers
Ecco Loafers Size Euro 44 in Mint Condition
J&M Limited Collection Black Cap Toe shoes size 12
J&M Black Aristocraft Brogue Cap Toe 8.5D
PLR Madras Shirt

Last edited:

WillBarrett

Haven't posted in a while. I decent haul over the past few days. I will post photos once I figure out how to work my camera.

Burburys Overcoat/Driving coat with removal lining to reveal the well known pattern
London Fog Rain Coat
Canali F/F Grey Wool Trousers
BB Brown Wool Trousers
Ecco Loafers Size Euro 44 in Mint Condition
J&M Limited Collection Black Cap Toe shoes size 12
J&M Black Aristocraft Brogue Cap Toe 8.5D
PLR Madras Shirt

Selling those 8.5 shoes?

Acme

I've been trying to stay out of the shops recently, but yesterday events conspired and I ended up doing a bit of shopping after all.

The first store yielded a couple of Robert Talbott dress shirts, and second coolest Gant shirt I've ever found:

IMG_5440.jpg

Imperial Poplin? The fabric is a bit heavier than the usual Gant shirt I run across.

Then, on the pants rack, two pair of Ben Silver corduroys:

IMG_5439.jpg

I never find Ben Silver around here. Also found my first pair of Incotex pants, very very nice.

Acme

At the second store, I picked up a Samuelsohn suit.

IMG_5450.jpg

There was also a Navy suit jacket from the same dead west coast gentleman, but I searched in vain for the pants, and so left it.

And I love to find another Harris Tweed...

IMG_5432.jpg

Acme

Especially when it has a label like this on the inside:

IMG_5446.jpg

After shopping, I stopped by the drycleaner. Last week I'd dropped off two jackets to be pressed.

I know Jack Victor is not particularly bragworthy, but I like the pattern...

IMG_5448.jpg

Acme

It was very crumpled when I found it, but the wrinkles came out nicely. The maker is another that I don't often find around here:

IMG_5438.jpg

Some times picking it up from the drycleaner is almost as fun as finding it in the first place. Happy hunting, gentlemen.

Author's note: I really wanted to use the in-line image hosting, but the two picture per post limit puts the kibosh on that approach. Oh well, back to Google hosting, I suppose...

tonyanthony1970

Alden 9.5D (My Size)

J&M Black Aristocraft 8.5D (Available)
The Crown Aristocraft was the pinnacle of Johnston & Murphy shoemaking. This is a calfskin shoe, made--at that time--almost entirely by hand. After the early 1990s, the Crown slipped in both quality of shoemaking, and in quality of materials used. At the time this one was made, however, the Crown Aristocraft rivaled any shoe made in America. The last Crown was made in the USA several years ago. Today, Johnston Murphy shoes are made off-shore, and have virtually nothing to do with their proud heritage.

J&M Limited Collection Black Size 12D (Available)

Last edited:

firedancer

No less than 10 3/2 sacks from the likes of Southwick, BB, Majer , Hilton and Oxxford. Including one super rare, at least I've never seen one before in my life, covert cloth number.

More Sportcoats to go along with these.

Reuben

Honors Member
Today on Thrift Store Blues and Brags: Why we look beyond the brand name.

KHyZVH4.jpg

46L 3/2 sack suit in a beautiful slate blue/grey herringbone tweed (a true sack, too, with natural shoulders, no darts, flat front, natural buttons [some type of plant] with two on the sleeves, half-lined), from none other than Joseph A Banks.

Guess this is from when they were a cheaper alternative to BB, and not just cheap. Why doesn't José Banks make these things anymore?

firedancer

Today on Thrift Store Blues and Brags: Why we look beyond the brand name.

KHyZVH4.jpg

46L 3/2 sack suit in a beautiful slate blue/grey herringbone tweed (a true sack, too, with natural shoulders, no darts, flat front, natural buttons [some type of plant] with two on the sleeves, half-lined), from none other than Joseph A Banks.

Guess this is from when they were a cheaper alternative to BB, and not just cheap. Why doesn't José Banks make these things anymore?

You'd be fooling yourself if you think they were cheaper. They weren't. But the quality was just as good, if not better than Brooks.

They were also a great importer of Shetlands from Scotland and rain coats from England.

Oh well, all good things....

Reuben

Honors Member
You'd be fooling yourself if you think they were cheaper. They weren't. But the quality was just as good, if not better than Brooks.

They were also a great importer of Shetlands from Scotland and rain coats from England.

Oh well, all good things....
Well, that's my lesson for the day. At least they still carry Allen Edmonds?

Honestly, though, they're a great place to get decent shoe trees and suit hangers for cheap, and that's about it.

firedancer

So bow ties are semi rare finds for me.
This

Was a shock. My first thrifted ascot.

Also picked up some absolutely stunning late model Dunhill flannels in flat front , side tabs and a sublime orange rust color. Amazing!

Acme

I was out shopping today and found about a dozen Brooks Brothers Performance knit polos in very good condition at $3.99 each. Most of them were navy and black, and all were size XXL.

304P_BLACK

I love Brooks, but not the polos (don't like logos), and they're not my size anyway. If anyone here is interested, just PM me and I'll tell you where to go get them (Chicago area).

TSWalker

I was out shopping today and found about a dozen Brooks Brothers Performance knit polos in very good condition at $3.99 each. Most of them were navy and black, and all were size XXL.

304P_BLACK

I love Brooks, but not the polos (don't like logos), and they're not my size anyway. If anyone here is interested, just PM me and I'll tell you where to go get them (Chicago area).

If anyone takes him up on that and is willing to ship, I wouldn't mind a slight markup for your time and trouble.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange