drpeter

If he likes it and can find an occasion or two to wear it, then it's a win for him but, like you said, probably not much of a brag to many of us. And the '90s are back with a vengeance! Haven't you heard?

In any case, I'm glad to be able to thrift again. Yesterday I picked up a striped tie from BB and a couple of Robert Talbott foulards, as well as an Irish Aran sweater that I may keep or may flip. I haven't decided yet since I already have more sweaters than I can wear during the short San Jose winter season. The day before, I found a really nice pair of Neiman Marcus house brand pants in medium blue Loro Piana wool that fit me perfectly.

I'm hitting a few thrifts later today and expect to bring in a nice haul.
So the nineties are now back again? If we keep our clothes long enough everything will come back into fashion again, as many here and elsewhere have observed. I keep whatever I like and ignore the vagaries of fashion -- too fickle for my taste, I suppose. All those ties with varying width, lapels that are slim and fat and possessed of bellies, trousers with or without pleats...and so on.

I suppose when I posted my find, I wasn't paying too much attention to the "blues and brags" in the title, and that is my fault. My Zegna jacket is just a little find, it really isn't something to brag about, nor is it something to be blue about!

More importantly, @triklops55, your finds are very nice. I like Talbott foulards, have several myself, and I also have just one, beautiful Irish Aran sweater, big and bulky (and gezellig, as the Dutch say). Mine is the definitive cream colour (or at least, I think it's definitive because most of the ones I have seen are in that shade). What colour is the one you picked up? I see your point about flipping, though -- San Jose is a far cry from Wisconsin, where the cozy warmth of an Aran sweater is priceless. I too have too many sweaters, I'm taking a few more to Goodwill soon.

The best part of my thrifting in the last few weeks after shops opened up? First editions! I have added a pile of pristine modern firsts (first printings too) to my library, and now my flat looks even more like a bookshop, and the entire building is beginning to tilt a little.

triklops55

So the nineties are now back again? If we keep our clothes long enough everything will come back into fashion again, as many here and elsewhere have observed. I keep whatever I like and ignore the vagaries of fashion -- too fickle for my taste, I suppose. All those ties with varying width, lapels that are slim and fat and possessed of bellies, trousers with or without pleats...and so on.

I suppose when I posted my find, I wasn't paying too much attention to the "blues and brags" in the title, and that is my fault. My Zegna jacket is just a little find, it really isn't something to brag about, nor is it something to be blue about!

More importantly, @triklops55, your finds are very nice. I like Talbott foulards, have several myself, and I also have just one, beautiful Irish Aran sweater, big and bulky (and gezellig, as the Dutch say). Mine is the definitive cream colour (or at least, I think it's definitive because most of the ones I have seen are in that shade). What colour is the one you picked up? I see your point about flipping, though -- San Jose is a far cry from Wisconsin, where the cozy warmth of an Aran sweater is priceless. I too have too many sweaters, I'm taking a few more to Goodwill soon.

The best part of my thrifting in the last few weeks after shops opened up? First editions! I have added a pile of pristine modern firsts (first printings too) to my library, and now my flat looks even more like a bookshop, and the entire building is beginning to tilt a little.
The problem with trying to keep up with fashion is that we get old. Fashion isn't too becoming on old folks. I wore the '90s fashions the first time around but couldn't pull it off today. The young people look great in the retro styles, but it's much easier to look good in your early 20s than your 40s or beyond.

The sweater I found is cream color like yours. It's beautiful quality and thick, but yeah, not too much opportunity to wear it around here. I found a few more ties today and some Nordstrom house brand shirts that will provide me with some good use.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
A bit of a cross posting with the British Country Clothing thread...

I picked up these James Purdey shoes for $90 on eBay last night.

Purdey currently subs it’s shoe production to Northampton makers. Or these might be Herring on the 220 last.

As these shoes are practically new, I couldn’t resist upgrading my 8 year old Peale & Co brogues which are my fall/winter tweed outfit beaters.

I guess these range around $450 retail?

Cheers,

BSR

Attachments

A bit of a cross posting with the British Country Clothing thread...

I picked up these James Purdey shoes for $90 on eBay last night.

Purdey currently subs it’s shoe production to Northampton makers. Or these might be Herring on the 220 last.

As these shoes are practically new, I couldn’t resist upgrading my 8 year old Peale & Co brogues which are my fall/winter tweed outfit beaters.

I guess these range around $450 retail?

Cheers,

BSR
Crockett & Jones

drpeter

I picked up a couple of ties at Goodwill today. One was a dark red silk Land's End foulard, but the interesting one was a US-made Gant tie in pristine condition, 100% cotton, summery checks. I've always had a soft spot for vintage Gant shirts, and the same goes for their other items.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Is it just me, or does "Plato's Closet" sound kinda sketchy?
Our grand kids shop there. There are bargains to be had, but the store really does make a killing playing on the inherent indecisiveness of young shoppers. They sell them items and a few weeks later they buy the items back for less than 20% of what the kid originally paid them for it. As an example, one of our grandsons bought a pair of solid red Jordan (I think) sneakers for $50. Two weeks later the store bought them back from our grandson for a paltry $8. Considering that it was Papa's $50 that paid for those ugly a**ed sneakers the first time around, I was/am not happy! :(

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
I scored a stunning mint condition Arthur A. Adler dark grey herringbone suit yesterday from Goodwill for $13.99. Photos to follow.

The quality of the fabric and the precision of the cut is outstanding.

With my weight loss, I now have zero suits (!) and with Covid killing my office time for the foreseeable future, I am not keen on dropping several grand on suits I simply have no use for at the moment.

I also picked up a spiffy Perry Ellis wool peak lapel single breasted tuxedo jacket ($6.99) All my lightly used formal wear is now in my upcoming AAAC exchange sale post. Shawl collar tux and white tie coat and trousers with a few other goodies will be posted in the next few weeks.

Finally, I picked up two nice patch pocket tweed jackets ($6.99 each). Can’t go wrong with quality vintage tweed. I prefer Harris, but it is increasingly hard for me to find on the vintage rack.

Cheers,

BSR

Perry Ellis Tux jacket

DA95C78D-09DF-4564-8AF5-4B85CB82360B.jpeg

Arthur Adler suit

11F99282-6492-4689-8781-C21B37B89098.jpeg
A32939DD-004F-4892-822B-B166F3EE255B.jpeg

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I scored a stunning mint condition Arthur A. Adler dark grey herringbone suit yesterday from Goodwill for $13.99. Photos to follow.

With my weight loss, I now have zero suits (!) and with Covid killing my office time for the foreseeable future, I am not keen on dropping several grand on suits I simply have no use for at the moment.

I also picked up a spiffy Perry Ellis wool peak lapel single breasted tuxedo jacket ($6.99) All my lightly used formal wear is now in my upcoming AAAC exchange sale post. Shawl collar tux and white tie coat and trousers with a few other goodies will be posted in the next few weeks.

Finally, I picked up two nice patch pocket tweed jackets ($6.99 each). Can’t go wrong with quality vintage tweed. I prefer Harris, but it is increasingly hard for me to find on the vintage rack.

Cheers,

BSR
Great finds - enjoy. Looking forward to the pics.

drpeter

Cheers,

BSR

Perry Ellis Tux jacket

View attachment 47958

Arthur Adler suit

View attachment 47959 View attachment 47960
The herringbone suit looks gorgeous! My congratulations, @bsr. Splendid find. Is that a hand-stitched buttonhole? I am not familiar with Adler suits, are they custom or semi-custom?

The dinner jacket looks great too, but I was wondering if you would pair that with matching trousers you may have acquired separately. Will the shade of black and the material be easy to match?

drpeter

At one of our local Goodwills this afternoon, I struck gold! A fine pair of Allen Edmonds MacNeil Shell Cordovans in a burgundy, and another great pair of Allen Edmonds Canton slipons/loafers in a tan calfskin.

The cordovans are in beautiful shape, with some wear on the soles, naturally, but hardly any in the heels. They have the beautiful rippled uppers that is characteristic of shell cordovans, and a good cleaning and polishing will make them look splendid. This pair of MacNeils (from the web) is almost identical to what I bought, except for the fact that the ripples in the uppers are a tad more pronounced:

1597442785511.png

As for the calfskins loafers, they are also in fine shape with light wear in the heels. The vamp is plain, that is, it does not feature a saddle (which is the flap of leather usually present in penny loafers where it has the slot for the penny to be tucked in). I searched for pictures, but could not find a pair that matched mine.

Both pairs of shoes are very comfortable and fit me to a tee. They just need the usual cleaning and polishing. The MacNeils cost $14.99, the Cantons, $9.99, and I had a discount of $5 coming to me, so the total cost was $19.98 plus tax. Not too bad, don't you think? Brand new, the MacNeils are in the $500-$600 range currently based on a quick check, and the Cantons must be at least $200 (I did not check this).

I have several shell cordovan shoes, but they are mostly Aldens and Florsheims, and one or two other companies. While I have various AE shoes, this is my first pair of AE shell cordovans. Overall, I am very happy with these purchases. It's not easy to find shells in decent shape, let alone those in excellent condition, for $15 anywhere!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.