drpeter

It turns it that the situation isn't as bad as I thought. Later in the evening I checked Goodwill's website and found that the first store that I went to, my usual one, had closed and is moving to a new location which is the second store I went to. Apparently it hasn't opened yet but is much closer to home and in a safer neighborhood.
Splendid. All is not lost. You happened to catch them within the space of a move. Let's hope you find the shoes and clothes you desire in the new shop. Good hunting!

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
With the upsurge in Covid in Georgia, coupled with my son temporarily moving back home, I have curtailed my thrifting activities until things significantly improve.

This past week shows modest improvement, so I might be back in the trenches prior to October.

Cheers,

BSR

drpeter

A nice find today at Goodwill: A Bloomingdale's house brand sports jacket (Joseph & Lyman). It is US made, and in a light beige or oatmeal colour, 100% cashmere. It is a heavier wool, and fully lined, with a two-button darted front and medium lapels. It fits me well, no alterations needed. The one concern I have is with the combination of colour and weight. It is definitely not for summer, but for early Fall or Spring. The colour is too light for winter wear. It feels luxurious and it is very comfortable. With a pair of dark wool trousers, and a bright regimental rep tie, it should look nice. Total cost: $9.99 plus tax.

Last edited:

drpeter

Another fine set of purchases from Goodwill and another thrift shop: A couple of Brooks Brothers broadcloth shirts, one white, the other red and beige stripes on white (both Malaysian-made, which I find reasonably well-constructed), six ties, silk as well as three wool or wool/cotton blends, including a classic black knitted tie (Wembley Woolcrofters), and a nice Apocalypse Now Dossier Version 2- DVD set (with the 1979 Original and the 2001 Redux versions). Total outlay: $30.

drpeter

Today's find at a Goodwill shop in the next town, Wausau, about 30 miles from here.

A Kenneth Roberts tweed sportcoat in dark brown small herringbone weave, US-made, with a faint windowpane of dusty red and turquoise, a nice effect. Two button darted front medium lapels, quite traditional looking, and made out of a 50-50 mix of lambswool and virgin wool.

An almost perfect fit for me, except for a slight snugness around the waist, which can be adjusted -- not sure if I want to bother, since it is unlikely that I will ever wear this jacket buttoned.

It will be great with khakis or grey flannels, informal and casual for lunch, or a trip to Madison. The jacket is new and had five different tags including two of those stitched-in cloth labels on the cuff, a bit of a drag to remove.

The original price was $165. I got it, along with an additional Goodwill discount of 50% from its $5.99 tag, for the marvelous sum of $2.99. Plus tax, of course. Not too shabby, as they say.

Last edited by a moderator:

drpeter

The saga continues. Two sport coats today at St Vinnie's in Marshfield, a nearby town.

One: A beautiful 100% wool plaid jacket in rich autumn colours, USA-made, a jacket put out by JC Penney's in a line called called Stafford. I examined it carefully and it is very well put-together for a department store house brand: Half-canvassed, high-density stitching, sturdy buttons and nicely constructed button holes, and very nice line and drape. It has a two-button darted front, and a single back vent. Excellent fit, so no alterations needed.

Two: A gray herringbone with faint red stripes by Oakmont , 100% wool, USA-made (not sure if this is also a department store brand). This too is nicely constructed with details quite similar to the Stafford jacket. Again, the fit is just fine.

Both jackets look barely worn and have that "bouncy" hand of brand new wool sports jackets. And the price was really right. Goodwill had initially priced these jackets at $9.99 each, and then placed them on the clearance rack at an astonishing $1.99 each! So I bought both. I've never owned either brand, and this was a great chance to test them out. I read some remarks by our forum members here on Stafford blazers and sport coats, and they seem moderately to highly positive. So far I like them both, and we'll see how they wear in the coming months. They'll pair well with a range of trousers -- flannels, khakis, cords and even denim.

I also found an absolutely lovely pair of rich, mottled brown, thick flannel trousers, 100% wool and USA-made. They are by Arthur Winer for Marshall Fields. I like these types of odd trousers for fall wear with tattersall shirts and tweed jackets. They are well-cut and comfortable, with double reverse (American style) pleats and plain bottoms. These too look barely worn, so I am very pleased. My cost: A mere $3.50.

So I hope you agree that it's been another good day for thrifting!

Last edited:

drpeter

At Goodwill today, I found a very nice charcoal double-breasted overcoat, 100% thick wool flannel, with an interesting store label: "Made by Ogden and Parke Ltd., for Toepfer and Bellack Inc., Mayfair Shopping Center, Wauwatosa, Wis."

Toepfer and Bellack was a high-end men's shop in the large Mayfair Mall. This mall was first built in 1959 and then expanded in 1973 and 2001.

I don't think the men's shop is in business any more, and I could not find much information about it. The coat has two flap pockets slightly angled, British hacking jacket style, and a deep vent at the back. It is US-made, and looks very much like New Old Stock, hardly worn if ever.

Mr. B. Scott Robinson

Advanced Member
At Goodwill today, I found a very nice charcoal double-breasted overcoat, 100% thick wool flannel, with an interesting store label: "Made by Ogden and Parke Ltd., for Toepfer and Bellack Inc., Mayfair Shopping Center, Wauwatosa, Wis." Toepfer and Bellack was a high-end men's shop in the large Mayfair Mall. This mall was first built in 1959 and then expanded in 1973 and 2001. I don't think the men's shop is in business any more, and I could not find much information about it. The coat has two flap pockets slightly angled, British hacking jacket style, and a deep vent at the back. It is US-made, and looks very much like New Old Stock, hardly worn if ever.
Love your finds. Would enjoy photos!

Cheers,

BSR

FiscalDean

The saga continues. Two sport coats today at St Vinnie's in Marshfield, a nearby town.

My mother lived in Pittsville and did a lot of thrifting in both Marshfield and Wis. Rapids. There was a women in one of those two towns that was her size and fairly wealthy. Most likely either a physician or the wife of a physician who had excellent taste. My mother build a very nice wardrobe picking up thrifted items previously owned by her.

drpeter

That's marvellous! It's a great thing that your Mum and the other lady had excellent taste, and what's more, taste that was similar. This is why, in a big city, thrifting can be much more promising.

drpeter

Today's surprise discovery at Goodwill was a blazer I had been trying to find for some years!

A dark maroon blazer in the Trad style. This one is made out of 100% medium-weight wool flannel, very rich and with a nice drape. It is half lined, and has a 3-roll-2 button stance. Flat brass buttons without any emblem, medium-width lapels, three patch pockets in the club blazer style with flaps on the bottom two, just two brass buttons on each cuff with a little space between them, and a hook vent in the back.

A perfect fit, fortunately, so no alterations are needed.

The jacket was likely made in the late 1960s. When I tried it on, it felt so comfortable and relaxed, like a favourite sweater. This one is made with the Towncraft label, one of the house labels of JC Penney.

This blazer should be great with a white or cream OCBD shirt, a black knitted tie (or a club tie), grey flannels or navy blue wool trousers, and burgundy loafers. And if I add a brass nameplate and a peaked cap, I could be a railways conductor, chatting up the ladies and threatening ticketless travellers, LOL.

Total cost: $9.99 plus tax.

So along with the Stafford jacket from last week, I have picked up two very good quality sportcoats from the Penney line in four days.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals