drpeter

An odd item I picked up thrifting yesterday: A pair of nice-looking shoes, hardly worn, made of waxy black leather with some fine brogueing on them. The look is more European and delicate, and they are completely lined inside with soft tan leather. They have ubber heels and the front of the outsole is also rubber. It is very comfortable and fits me nicely.

Here is the odd part: These shoes have a cloth label on each insole witha Brioni logo which is obviously not the standard Brioni logo. Underneath the logo it says AB Group of Professionals, with a website on the internet added. So it is clearly a knockoff. At $8, but it was worth a try to see how well the shoes would hold up, so I picked them up. A bit of searching turned up several references to an outfit called Brioni at Bangkok, which is a tailoring establishment in that city.

I found an exact example of the label on the web, although it is on a shirt, and not on shoes:

1611917854545.png

Is it legal to use a famous company's name in this fashion? Why hasn't the real Brioni company taken any action against these tailors? They seem to be still in business.

Last edited:

Flairball

Minor thrift brag. I’m not much of a watch guy, but I came across this for a great price on eBay. I like the look, and think it fits with my style, so I jumped on it. There is another offered with a blue face, and a black band, which I may buy, just so I can coordinate a bit better, if I feel the need.
D63A182B-4160-4362-8630-A869E01EA2F0.jpeg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Minor thrift brag. I’m not much of a watch guy, but I came across this for a great price on eBay. I like the look, and think it fits with my style, so I jumped on it. There is another offered with a blue face, and a black band, which I may buy, just so I can coordinate a bit better, if I feel the need. View attachment 54068
Just as with shoes and boots, a man can never have too many watches! Make that second watch with the navy face yours, max-haste. ;)

heyberto

Starting Member
I had some time to kill this morning between meetings so I ducked into a Goodwill and found this Brooks Brothers sports coat. It was marked $15 but because of the slight rip just under the label I got it for $11. Besides the slight tear it seems very well kept. The tags (see attached photo) were in the breast pocket. I was very pleased to find this.

I also came across a couple ties from Lands End and one made in Scotland from Stewart Prince Charles Edward that I could not pass up.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I had some time to kill this morning between meetings so I ducked into a Goodwill and found this Brooks Brothers sports coat. It was marked $15 but because of the slight rip just under the label I got it for $11. Besides the slight tear it seems very well kept. The tags (see attached photo) were in the breast pocket. I was very pleased to find this.

I also came across a couple ties from Lands End and one made in Scotland from Stewart Prince Charles Edward that I could not pass up.
Good for you. Out of financial necessity started thrifting years ago and owe much of my professional and other wardrobe to it. Thrifting also enabled me to indulge in my desire to obtain vintage clothes given my desire for traditional styles.One of the suits I wore to work was a nice navy glen plaid BB obtained second-hand.

drpeter

Today, in the Community Thrift Shop here in town, I found three pairs of jeans in very fine condition which fit me perfectly and comfortably.

A pair of Levis 550 made in the US, relaxed fit with tapered legs, 100% cotton; a second pair of Levis 540 Signature, very similar to the first in fit and style, but made in Mexico; and finally a pair of Wrangler Hero Industrial Wear carpenter's jeans, made in the US with blue denim (this is the style where there is a hammer loop mid-thigh on one leg, and a small pocket mid-thigh on the other leg), and with angled front pockets, relaxed fit and straight legs.

All three pairs of jeans are worn to a medium level of fading, and look beautiful with the cloth having a very soft feel. No fraying at the cuffs or at the pockets. Given that I have had a lot of trouble finding jeans with a comfortable rise, this was indeed fortunate. And the price cannot be beaten! I paid for one pair and got the other two with it for free: Total cost was a whopping $2.50 plus tax.

Amazing luck. And I also found some ties at Goodwill, including a lovely wool tartan tie from Scotland.

Last edited:

drpeter

Today's Goodwill find: A brand new, never worn pair of Red Wing Boots. These are Union-Made in USA, and they are Style 2245 six-inch steel safety toe boots. On the Red Wing website, this model is priced at $199.99. I got these for the amazing price of $24.99, an 87.5% "discount" off the MSRP!

The picture below is taken from the Red Wing website and shows a pair of Style 2245 boots that is identical in all respects to my pair, except for the colour. Mine is a more reddish brown, and I think it is the regular oiled leather used in most Red Wings. I am planning on showing my boots to my cobbler to see what care recommendations he has for them. I have also just discovered that a neighbouring town actually has a Red Wing store, where I could pick up care products. It is likely my cobbler will suggest mink oil or leather lotion. It does not look like cream or wax polish would be appropriate for these boots. I'd love to hear from anyone on our forum about care for similar boots they might own.

1612314363391.png

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today's Goodwill find: A brand new, never worn pair of Red Wing Boots. These are Union-Made in USA, and they are Style 2245 six-inch steel safety toe boots. On the Red Wing website, this model is priced at $199.99. I got these for the amazing price of $24.99, an 87.5% "discount" off the MSRP!

The picture below is taken from the Red Wing website and shows a pair of Style 2245 boots that is identical in all respects to my pair, except for the colour. Mine is a more reddish brown, and I think it is the regular oiled leather used in most Red Wings. I am planning on showing my boots to my cobbler to see what care recommendations he has for them. I have also just discovered that a neighbouring town actually has a Red Wing store, where I could pick up care products. It is likely my cobbler will suggest mink oil or leather lotion. It does not look like cream or wax polish would be appropriate for these boots. I'd love to hear from anyone on our forum about care for similar boots they might own.

View attachment 54194
I worn several red Wing Boot designs over the years and have generally treated them with Red Wing Boot oil. On my present Red Wing Irish Setter boots I've used infrequent applications of Venetian Cream, and nothing else, to good effect. May you long wear and enjoy your new boots and may you do so only in good health! ;)

TKI67

Very nice. Now all you have to do is wait for the summer, LOL.

What trousers would you pair with this jacket? And what make is it, if I may ask.
It is Brooks. I see it with khakis or stone poplins, a blue OCBD, and a knit square bottomed navy blue tie. An ecru shirt would be nice, but I do not own one. I generally keep white shirts for after six, and it is very much a before six jacket. In Austin summer can arrive very early, Tomorrow will be in the eighties!

drpeter

I think a cream coloured shirt would go well with this jacket, but I also think ecru is very close to cream. All of your other choices for shirts and trousers are fine. And a knitted tie, whether silk or cotton, would go perfectly with the casual jacket.

Blue OCBDs are perhaps the most versatile among shirts, and will go with the largest variety of sports jackets and trousers, and almost any tie.

drpeter

A recent find: A navy blue twill-weave 100% wool Kingsridge suit. A nice weight, maybe 10-11 oz. It is a two piece, two-button front, darted suit with medium lapels and conservative cut, and with flat front plain-bottom trousers. A good fit, though the sleeves could be taken in an inch, and trousers let out at the waist half an inch. The jacket is only half-lined, so I am wondering if it is a tropical model. It is in very good condition overall. Because it was on clearance at Goodwill at the standard price, it cost me $1.99 plus tax!

This was a fortunate find because I needed a wool suit in navy blue, having given away both of my old ones. I do have a 100% cotton poplin navy blue suit. So this was a good addition, since a navy blue wool suit is an essential, along with a mid-grey flannel suit.

Kingsridge is a mid-level suit-maker (probably connected to Cluett, Peabody, perhaps?) from what I have read on our forum and on the internet. Good, serviceable stuff, nothing fancy -- and that is just dandy by me! (See, I am catching up with the expressions in my adopted country, LOL).

Last edited:

drpeter

A nice item from a recent visit to Goodwill: A 100% pure virgin wool sports jacket by Pendleton, classic styling in camel colour with medium lapels, darted front, lower patch pockets with lapped seams, single vent, and quarter-inch stitching on the lapels, all the way down to the quarters. A very good fit, so no need for any alterations. Made in USA. Cost:$9.99 plus tax.

The fabric is a wool flannel of medium thickness. It would be great for three-season wear, especially up here in the cooler North.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.