Thrift store blues & brags

drpeter

Recent finds from an antiques and vintage clothes shop:

A lovely thick cotton and poly cream sports jacket from Lands' End, made in my old country, India. Pretty standard features, medium-width lapels. patch pockets, two-button front and single vent. It has a nice, slightly heavy drape, and best of all, brown horn buttons that create a rich effect with the cream colour. Cost $3.50

Three 100% silk ties, one in summery pastel stripes, the other in black and cream thin stripes, and a third, a grenadine in a beautiful, vivid shade of fuchsia. The first two are Lands' End, the third is Cape Cod Neckwear. $3 each

I found a picture of the exact sports jacket online:

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
^^^
The jacket's nice. For that kind of money, if you see similar, grab them. After paying of course. Because if you're wearing one at the Taco Bell drive-thru and your greasy fingers let the quesadilla ooze to your lap, it's all over. Curtains. Done. Place it in the trash along with the wrappers and bag, go to the trunk of the Cutlass and whip out a fresh one.

drpeter

That's the right approach, Peaks. In fact, already anticipating the problem you envision, I have taken pains to acquire a dozen or so similar jackets in slight variations of that cream colour I love. Prices ranging from $1.99 to maybe $9.99 tops.

I have eaten at fine restaurants on three continents, but I still have a hunger for Taco Bell. Thankfully, these days, I can go in and order (I really hate drive-thrus -- the mask, on top of my accent, gives the sweet Midwestern lads and lasses at the counter a lot of trouble, and they don't speak the Queen's English, that's for sure).

But I have a range of solutions to stains on clothes (O ye of little faith), so I won't give up that easily. I don't trash anything quickly. There are so many things you can do with unwanted clothes, including buffing your fine leather shoes.

Last edited:

drpeter

Further finds:

A classic "346" Brooks navy hopsack blazer, with the full Ivy cut and look -- 3 roll 2 button stance, undarted front, medium lapels with quarter-inch stitching, single vent, patch pockets, and two spaced buttons on the sleeves. All buttons are brass with the 346 logo. Great fit, fine condition, lightly worn with no damage. Cost: $6.00

A Reed St James 100% camelhair beige sportcoat, leather buttons, with standard features and a timeless cut. Very comfortable. Cost : $6.00

Plus a few US-made ties, wool and silk, and one wool challis from England. And a wonderful wool scarf with muted olive, red and brown plaid. The ties and the scarf cost $2 apiece.

I found this quotation from the 1985 Brooks catalogue, posted by another member:

"Almost forty years ago Brooks Brothers commissioned a new line of clothing to be made for executives. Proudly, we named it after the New York flagship store at 346 Madison Avenue. Appropriately, 346 clothing offers classic tailoring, fine workmanship, fabrics and lasting value that is a Brooks Brothers tradition to provide. 346 is made for us under our careful supervision. The resulting quality, evident in the natural drape of the shoulder for example, assures the longevity of your investment."

Apparently my navy hopsack blazer cost around $190 in 1985. The "346" line fell between the entry-level Brooksgate line (buttons featuring the gate) and the Makers' or Own Make top line (buttons featuring the golden fleece).

Last edited:

drpeter

Today, I found a very nice, barely worn HS&M Gold Trumpeter suit. The material is 100% wool in a fine bird's-eye pattern, which looks medium grey overall. This is the first bird's eye suit I have ever had!

The jacket is half-canvassed, and the suit drapes very nicely because the material is fine quality and also slightly heavier than worsted cloth. Two-button front, darted, flap pockets, single vent and pleated and cuffed trousers. A good fit, except for the trouser legs which will have to be shortened an inch-and-a-half. A very good bargain at $9.00, given that these suits were in the $700 range at retail.

I read up a bit on the Gold Trumpeter line which was HS&M's top line. Since 2015, the logo just says GOLD, and their top line suits are called Monogram (I can't guarantee this, I simply read it in a posting here). My suit has the old logo with the trumpeter on horseback and "Gold Trumpeter" below it.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today, I found a very nice, barely worn HS&M Gold Trumpeter suit. The material is 100% wool in a fine bird's-eye pattern, which looks medium grey overall. This is the first bird's eye suit I have ever had!

The jacket is half-canvassed, and the suit drapes very nicely because the material is fine quality and also slightly heavier than worsted cloth. Two-button front, darted, flap pockets, single vent and pleated and cuffed trousers. A good fit, except for the trouser legs which will have to be shortened an inch-and-a-half. A very good bargain at $9.00, given that these suits were in the $700 range at retail.

I read up a bit on the Gold Trumpeter line which was HS&M's top line. Since 2015, the logo just says GOLD, and their top line suits are called Monogram (I can't guarantee this, I simply read it in a posting here). My suit has the old logo with the trumpeter on horseback and "Gold Trumpeter" below it.

During my civilian working years I bought more than a few of HS&M's Gold Trumpeter suits at retail pricing. Based on your experiences I should have been shopping the thrift shops.....but alas, I've always been a slow learner. :(;)

drpeter

I seems that a thrifting trip to Wisconsin could be worthwhile.
Well, I believe it might be worthwhile. But I must say that I shop regularly at about five Goodwills and other shops, several times a week ( a little less with some of the outlying ones).

Today's find, for example, was an almost new, slightly scuffed pair of Made-in-England Doc Martens, tan colour with the white thread stitching in the welt. Beautiful condition, and a perfect fit. ( I am fairly easy to fit with ready-made pieces). The heels and soles show no wear I can discern, so the slight scuffing (easily fixed) is the only indication they've been worn -- it could have been marks acquired while moving them around! Cost me $25, which is a bargain when considering retail prices. This is the second pair of genuine English-made Doc Martens I have found in two months.

Also some nice ties, including a lovely Robert Talbott regimental with vibrant colors, in a heavy silk that almost feels like a seven-fold tie. Each tie was $2.

Based on your experiences I should have been shopping the thrift shops.....but alas, I've always been a slow learner.

LOL, it may be that this past year has seen a lot of good things sent to thrift shops. Again, if you don't stop by regularly, you can miss items. Even if I don't find something (I almost always find stuff, especially books and DVDs) it is enjoyable to hunt through things. I stop by at garage sales and flea markets in the summer as well. It's a good way to spend time, and in this part of the world, people love it when you stop by and chat -- I know three-quarters of the people in this town! Besides, didn;t the government tell us to stimulate the economy?

Last edited:

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
Further finds:

A classic "346" Brooks navy hopsack blazer, with the full Ivy cut and look -- 3 roll 2 button stance, undarted front, medium lapels with quarter-inch stitching, single vent, patch pockets, and two spaced buttons on the sleeves. All buttons are brass with the 346 logo. Great fit, fine condition, lightly worn with no damage. Cost: $6.00

A Reid St James 100% camelhair beige sportcoat, leather buttons, with standard features and a timeless cut. Very comfortable. Cost : $6.00

Plus a few US-made ties, wool and silk, and one wool challis from England. And a wonderful wool scarf with muted olive, red and brown plaid. The ties and the scarf cost $2 apiece.

I found this quotation from the 1985 Brooks catalogue, posted by another member:

"Almost forty years ago Brooks Brothers commissioned a new line of clothing to be made for executives. Proudly, we named it after the New York flagship store at 346 Madison Avenue. Appropriately, 346 clothing offers classic tailoring, fine workmanship, fabrics and lasting value that is a Brooks Brothers tradition to provide. 346 is made for us under our careful supervision. The resulting quality, evident in the natural drape of the shoulder for example, assures the longevity of your investment."

Apparently my navy hopsack blazer cost around $190 in 1985. The "346" line fell between the entry-level Brooksgate line (buttons featuring the gate) and the Makers' or Own Make top line (buttons featuring the golden fleece).
I still miss Brooks Brothers. The 346 line was good value for those who wore suits to work.

drpeter

Today's finds:

A pair of mint burgundy Bass Weejuns (likely old stock), penny loafers made in USA, in completely unused condition, not a scratch on the sole or heel. Slightly loose for me, so I will have to wear thick socks or get a pair of heel inserts. Cost $10.00

A pair of vintage tan Johnston & Murphy tassel loafers, model name Edwardian, moderately used. A good fit. Cost $10.00.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today's finds:

A pair of mint burgundy Bass Weejuns (likely old stock), penny loafers made in USA, in completely unused condition, not a scratch on the sole or heel. Slightly loose for me, so I will have to wear thick socks or get a pair of heel inserts. Cost $10.00

A pair of vintage tan Johnston & Murphy tassel loafers, model name Edwardian, moderately used. A good fit. Cost $10.00.

Congrats on another good hunt! May you long wear those new kicks and may you do so only in good health. ;)

drpeter

Great find, Doc!

The Audio Technica cartridge is very good and not as expensive as some of the high end cartridges available. Realistic was also a pretty decent turntable and not very expensive, back in the old days. Many audiophiles who play vinyl records believe that the cartridge matters more than the turntable. Overall, $20 is a fantastic price to pay for this turntable.

Do you already have a setup into which this turntable can be hooked? I can recommend Polk Audio speakers very highly. I have two stereo systems, one vintage and one modern. However, I have modern Polk Audio bookshelf speakers hooked up to the vintage Dual turntable (there are other components too, all centred around a vintage Marantz receiver). These bookshelf speakers are mounted on stands which I made myself with the help of a woodworker friend, and the sound is as good as floor speakers.

Congratulations on this great find. There's a lot of fine vinyl in the thrift shops as well. At two bucks a pop, I have picked up some incredible bargains, often in mint condition.

Last edited:

ran23

Note quite a store, Garage Sale. Nordstrom Shoe Trees x 2, and 5 Suit Hangers for a total of $3.00. Nice to hear him say, He missed being in a suit & tie. Maybe early 70's. He looked about 42-Reg, wonder if he is selling ties?

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Recently sent a flyer from RL featuring polos in very nice, bright summery colors. None of my current, (6), polos are that summery in color and got me to lusting after them but not wanting to pay around $100 for a polo. Scratched that itch at Salvation Army today picking up 2 from my favorite affordable traditional casual clothing line, St. John's Bay, @$2 each-a buttery yellow one with navy stripes along the cuffs and collar and a royal blue one. So, sort of a RL fix while saving $98 per shirt. :D

drpeter

That's the spirit! I daresay you will find RL polo shirts in summery colours, for a few bucks more, at thrift shops, if you keep looking. I have picked some up from time to time with an average Goodwill price tag of $8. Some of them were actually new with tags, although a bit wrinkled or slightly shopworn. But that's what washing machines and irons are for, LOL.

What I always try to obtain at thrift shops is a Peruvian-made Pima cotton polo shirt. A lot of this kind of cotton comes from Peru. It could be from RL, or Lands' End or St John's Bay, or almost any other company -- the quality is outstanding, and it lasts forever. I have at least fifteen of these, in summer colours as well as in the usual shades of navy, dark green, grey and brown. Mostly solids, but occasionally stripes as well.

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
That's the spirit! I daresay you will find RL polo shirts in summery colours, for a few bucks more, at thrift shops, if you keep looking. I have picked some up from time to time with an average Goodwill price tag of $8. Some of them were actually new with tags, although a bit wrinkled or slightly shopworn. But that's what washing machines and irons are for, LOL.

What I always try to obtain at thrift shops is a Peruvian-made Pima cotton polo shirt. A lot of this kind of cotton comes from Peru. It could be from RL, or Lands' End or St John's Bay, or almost any other company -- the quality is outstanding, and it lasts forever. I have at least fifteen of these, in summer colours as well as in the usual shades of navy, dark green, grey and brown. Mostly solids, but occasionally stripes as well.
All but 1 of my polos prior to this purchase have patterns and I wanted some solid colored ones. So, this fit that bill too.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange