Thrift store blues & brags

G

Guest-515212

Today, I purchased a Korean War era cotton trenchcoat, olive drab, with a wool liner (removable, buttoned-in type). This coat is in mint condition, never worn, and has no patches, or holes or any other sign of anything having been mounted anywhere on the coat. Late edit: The Patent Nos., are 21676 & 2198064, which correspond to the OG-107 Model, used during the period 1950-1953.

The construction is classic trenchcoat style, double-breasted, with a full collar and a belt. It comes to mid-calf for me, and the shoulders are perfect over a thick sweater or a sports jacket. Looks terrific with a popped collar. Total outlay with a special 10% discount: $85.50 plus tax.

This will complement my Korean war era M-53 field jackets rather nicely. Here is an image off the internet, with the details identical to the one I acquired:

View attachment 50729
Can you tell me the size

drpeter

Can you tell me the size
The size tag under the collar of my trenchcoat says "Regular-Medium".

Generally speaking, many of the vintage military clothing pieces tend to be smaller than their counterparts in more modern times. So trying a piece on before buying is ideal -- I know that's hard if you are buying online, but in this case, I found it at a local antique shop.

Last edited:

drpeter

A nice pair of US-made cream painter's pants, picked up some weeks ago from Goodwill for a few dollars. These are brand new and labelled Stanley ( I know of the classic Stan Ray painter's pants, but these are a different brand). They are very high-waisted (around 13″ in front rise, I should think) and have wide legs.

The bottoms were unfinished and I got my tailor to hem the pants, no turnups. These trousers are made of a medium-heavy canvas-like twill (10 oz?) and are flat-front, and they have the usual tool loop mid-thigh on one leg and a small pocket, again mid-thigh, on the other. The front pockets are sharply angled and make them easy to access. They are also very deep pockets. My cost for these pants was $10.

They look great with polo shirts, tucked in or not. Nice for the cool, late spring weather we have been having. Bright colours in shirts go very nicely with the cream colour of these trousers, and they look great with canvas shoes or boat shoes, even sandals.

I was reminded of this purchase when I was looking at a new store online called Casatlantic mentioned in Permanent Style.

https://www.casatlantic.com/

This site is great, and the trousers are classic. I love the old WWII era photographs from Casablanca and Algiers as well.

All of these trousers are made in Casablanca! The owner’s family is originally from Morocco, although he himself was born in Sweden. His name is Nathaniel Asseraf.

Last edited:

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
They look great with polo shirts, tucked in or not. Nice for the cool, late spring weather we have been having.
They look better if you're up on a roof holding a nail gun with a butt dripping from your mouth. They're carpenter jeans from Stanley Tool Works, late of Connecticut, and that's why they have tool loops and odd pockets. I use them for their intended purpose though I suppose they can be repurposed. The tailor person should have removed the straps. Related idea: Hanes briefs are sorta like swim trunks, maybe pick up a few pair if you're planning on using the village pool this year.

or perspn remove the straps.

drpeter

You know, Peaks, I thought of asking the tailor to remove the single tool strap, but then decided to leave it. I'll think about it, though -- easy enough for him to do.

LOL, I used to work on my own home and my friends' houses when I was in my 30s. Not going to do that anymore at 70! I have done some roofing, and also house painting, so I understand the tool loop, pockets, etc. I was just being descriptive. Although I never wore those kinds of pants when painting or working on stuff, just ordinary khakis or jeans.

No pools for me, Hanes briefs or not! The chlorine will just kill my eyes.

drpeter

Today's thrift shop find: A pair of brand new Belleville Desert Boots (approved by US Army, USAF) with tough Vibram sole, tan suede leather with reinforced toes, GoreTex liner, a large protective tongue, and multiple eyelets. About 8" high, and very comfortable, although it is on the heavy side. Perfect for winter wear. Cost $20.

I read some very positive reviews of these boots by ruckers and other heavy-duty users. So, this was a good purchase, especially when considering the price at various outlets, ranging from $60 to $175. The Belleville MSRP is $218.

1622324651425.png

Last edited:

drpeter

Picked up a US Army trench coat with full lining from a local vintage shop, at a highly reduced price -- it is in mint condition and all buttons and other components are intact. Fits me very well.

This one is from the Vietnam War era, and will complement very nicely my other US Army trench coat from the Korean War era. A great additon to my military gear collection, on the heels of the Belleville boots above -- pun intended, LOL. The cost was $19.85, after multiple reductions from an initial price of $48.60.

drpeter

An interesting thrifting story -- the title should be A Tale of Two Orphans.

This afternoon I found a nice Hart Schaffner & Marx sports jacket at Goodwill -- a 100% wool, small houndstooth jacket with dark brown and blue colours, and and a deep rust overpane, three-button front, single vent, darted, and very nice-looking. It was priced at $9, but I had $5 off for points, so I paid only $4.

Well, I took it home and discovered a small bit of green paper wired to the sleeve that had "Suit Set, $10" hand-written on it (not a Goodwill tag). This led me to wonder whether the bottom half of what was now a suit might still be hanging around at the shop. So I went back, and sure enough, among the trousers, I found the jacket's mate -- a pair of trousers with identical cloth, pleated and cuffed, and priced at $12.

I took it to the sales chap and told him the story, and showed him my jacket's $9 tag as well as the small tag with the suit set information on it. I was going to pay the full price, but he said he would give me the trousers for half of the price on the suit coat tag, or $4.50. He knew I was a regular there, and he thought it was unfortunate that the suit became separated.

I took the trousers home and it fit me perfectly -- waist and inseam and all the rest of it. Looked great with the jacket added. So now I have a HSM suit for $8.50.

Thus, at long last, the two orphaned pieces were reunited. It was the best of times for them...

drpeter

I really need to get back to checking the Goodwill/etc stores.
I agree, my friend. I have found some amazing deals these last few months. Careful browsing and patient examination of the items are both needed, but one often finds rare treasures in the midst of all those dozens of ordinary everyday garments. Of course, it is all in the eyes of the beholder, or the collector!

drpeter

Two recent thrift shop purchases:

First, an Indian-made pair of Crevo boots in mint condition, with very good construction details, lugged sole and stacked heels, fine, thick brown leather that shows character and some individual marbling and variation, solidly made. It has laces and an inside zip to help when putting it on. Comfortable fit, especially with a thickish pair of socks. $8.00 (MSRP around $100).

1624159361805.png

Second, a nice, cream/grey sports jacket, with thick, slubby Donegal tweed, flecked in reds, blues and greys. Made by Raffinati, no label for country of manufacture. It has side vents, a darted front, two button closure, and full lining. The shoulders tend toward the spalla camicia style, but only moderately. Seems unworn. Excellent fit, the only aspect I don't like too much are the lapels with Armani-style, low notches. But that is not a big deal. Cost $10.00

Plus a slew of bow ties, $2 apiece, nice colours and patterns.

Last edited:

drpeter

Yesterday's thrift find: A mint-condition Banana Republic suit. It is made in Portugal of soft, jet black worsted wool, likely from the Marzotto mills in Italy since they do supply the cloth for many BR suits and jackets. It has a three-button darted front, flap pockets, single vent, medium lapels, and horn buttons. The trousers have reverse pleats, and a high rise, and 1-3/4"cuffs. Everything fits, so no alterations needed. The jacket is very slightly loose for me, but it is still quite serviceable. The pockets are all sewn shut, so I doubt if it has seen much wear, if at all.

To the best of my knowledge (and examination) it is half-canvassed. From what I read about
BR suits, this has to be from an earlier period (probably the late eighties or early nineties) because their present-day suits all appear to have fused jackets. Cost: $20.

I bought it because I don't have a black suit and I did not want to pass this one up at the low price they were asking for it. Such a suit has its uses (funerals, for instance) and also can look very elegant when accompanied by a crisp white shirt, and a brightly coloured tie, if worn to a dinner. Plus it will be perfect for an audition for the next version of Men in Black, LOL.

Last edited:

drpeter

Today's Goodwill find: A Ravgo Guayabera shirt in 100% ecru linen, mint with tags, and with all the trim and details (and buttons!) that are more or less standard for this classic Latin American shirt. It is made in the town of Merida, in Yucatan, Mexico. The hand is crisp, and the fit (a Large) is slightly loose, but fine. I have no idea if this will shrink after washing, but I will do a cold water handwash (or maybe a dry cleaning), just in case. The last guayabera shirt I picked up in Ecuador was the largest size I could find, but it still shrank so much I had to donate it to Goodwill!

The price for this was $1.99, which is their Clearance price. This is what it looks like, except that my shirt is not white but ecru (or perhaps wheat-coloured):

1624900572450.png

drpeter

Today must be "finds" day for me! From another thrift shop, I acquired a brand new Lands' End Shetland crewneck sweater with tags, in a mottled brown/olive/burgundy colour mix. It has saddle shoulders and was made in the UK. This sweater must be old stock, from the days when LE always had Shetland crewneck sweaters in various colours for each fall season, imported from the UK. Very nice for the upcoming fall. Cost $14.99.

Last edited:
I have just returned to thrifting post COVID.

I hit 5 Goodwills in one day, not recommended if one has a bad back or feet.

A few finds….

A Kiton dress shirt in my size. My first one of these.

Multiple Brooks Brothers Makers USA dress shirts

Several Peter Millar dress shirts, one still with tags. A couple of merino sweaters as well.

A Trumbull and Asser dress shirt

A couple of Brooks Brothers jackets

Several Orvis and Columbia shirts

It’s all out there, but one has to be ready to go through thousands of shirts and jackets to find 50-75 keepers. But it’s a day well spent supporting a good cause and I will flip or give to friends what doesn’t fit me.

Cheers,

BSR

drpeter

Two nice purchases from thrifts:

A nicely patinated tan leather folder, 14" x 11", with multiple inside pockets, and enough space for a notepad or an iPad. I loved the look of the leather, so I bought it! Cost $4.00.

A navy blue pinstripe HS&M suit with alternating thicker and thinner, muted stripes, very elegant-looking. Other than the fact that the trouser waist needs to be let out an inch, it needs no alteration. The material is tropical worsted wool, 100%. Made in the USA. Cost $2.50

Because I'm a regular there, they threw in the gorgeous, aged wooden hanger the suit came on (the kind with the spring-loaded trouser bar) for an extra buck! They do things like that at this place because I am a regular and I also often donate to them, in cash and kind.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange