Thrift store blues & brags

As there appears to be be a break in Covid at the moment, I am taking advantage of the opportunity to seriously pound the thrift markets.

I have had a lot of finds which I usually flip if I can't use them....far too many too list but here are some labels....

Brooks Brothers Makers/Made in USA shirts
J Press 3 roll 2 tweed jackets
Peter Millar shirts
Onward Reserve shirts
Sid Mashburn shirts
Allen Edmonds shoes
Ben Silver tie
Tons of Columbia and REI outdoor shirts
London Fog coats, like new
J Banks rain coat, with tags
A Turnbull and Asser shirt
A Kiton shirt
A Viyella shirt
A Beretta shirt

A great haul on the surface, but this was a 9-5 day looking through thousands of items to find about 75 that were keepers. I plan on listing a few on AAAC to help clean out my closet. I am currently working on a "one in-one out" scheme to keep things under control.

Since joining AAAC, my shoe collection has gone from about 10 pair to over 60. I have more pair of AE loafers that I could ever wear. At $6 per pair, and in great condition, I can never turn them down. I doubt I will ever need a shoe repaired again.

I tell my wife to blame you guys.

Cheers,

BSR

drpeter

Good haul!

We'll take up the blame, my friend. I am in a much more dire situation, with more than 150 pairs of shoes, and masses of sportcoats and trousers. I too need to purge old stuff from my closet -- I am doing it slowly, and now have taken a moratorium on buying. Temporary, to see how things shape up.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Since joining AAAC, my shoe collection has gone from about 10 pair to over 60. I have more pair of AE loafers that I could ever wear. ...
⇧ LOL. With @upr_crust and @RogerP posting their incredible shoes/boots and @Flanderian showing pics of incredible shoes/boots from all over the world, it has taken great restraint on my part not to increase my shoe collection.

WFH (for >10yrs now) and the rapid decline in dressing in our culture means I don't use the modest number of nice dress shoes and boots I currently have.

Thankfully, enough of my Connecticut Yankee Grandmother's thriftiness is still in my American-mutt gene pool to stop me from buying shoes/boots that I can't even fake justify.

If I had discovered AAAC greater than ten years ago, when I was still going into an office every day and people still dressed more, my shoe collection would have increased dramatically.

Spent the am thrifting yesterday. A lot of great finds.....

The highlight was an assortment of J Press and Ben Silver repp ties with a BB and a Miller Brothers thrown in. Made in the UK, Ireland, and the US. Silk, some silk/cotton. Apparently, an Atlanta stock broker had liquidated his tie collection. All were in near perfect to perfect condition. About $2400 retail. I paid less than 2% of that.

unnamed.jpg

I found a Brooks Brothers 1818 Saxxon Suit, dark gray wool with the herringbone pattern. The jacket fits in the shoulders but I need to have it taken up a bit in the middle. The trousers are perfect. Looks unworn.

A few BB made in the USA shirts as usual.

A nice tan BB camel hair jacket and a J Banks Cashmere jacket

A nice BB brown summer wool window pane jacket

A couple or Lands End made in England wool sweaters

Another practically new London Fog DB Trench. Question: do people buy London Fog and decide it is never worth wearing? I find one almost every week these days.

An assortment of the usual suspect shirts....Orvis, BB, Columbia hunting, a few vintage tweeds. Nothing out of the typical range I purchase.

Madras, Polo and BB, once easy to find, is very scarce these days. I found one BB short sleeve madras of recent make.

Thats about it for this week!

Cheers,

BSR

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Looks like Covid is flaring again….the window is closing on thrifting in peace…..

The only way I am comfortable is to get there when the door opens and make a hasty exit before it gets busy.

Im certainly not interested in cramming myself info a small closet with strangers at an estate sale!

So frustrating as things didn’t need to be this way!

Cheers,

BSR

You are so absolutely spot-on with your concluding observation, "so frustrating, as things didn't need to be this way!" People exercising their perceived rights for not getting vaccinated is really mucking up the broth in terms of 'the herd' getting through this pandemic. Frustrating, for sure. :angry:

Given the current situation of bountiful supply, I could easy spend myself into the poorhouse and fill my house with bargains if I were so inclined.

Hermès ties for $4, J Press Donegal tweed for $7…..how many is too many?

I sell the excess on eBay, but buying, photographing, assessing condition, posting the listing….it all takes a lot of time!

cheers,

BSR

Given the current situation of bountiful supply, I could easy spend myself into the poorhouse and fill my house with bargains if I were so inclined.

Hermès ties for $4, J Press Donegal tweed for $7…..how many is too many?

I sell the excess on eBay, but buying, photographing, assessing condition, posting the listing….it all takes a lot of time!

cheers,

BSR
I bought our current home with the express purpose of filling the 2400 sqft finished basement with my thrifting treasures. And, yes, listing things on eBay is not a quick proposition. Lots of things have to happen before something finally gets posted.

drpeter

From Goodwill yesterday: An unworn, 100% cotton tie, summery checks, medium width, made by Reis of New Haven. Cost: $2.00 plus tax. I am not sure if this company is still in business, but they did purvey a variety of Trad items some decades ago. I found numerous references to Reis while searching the AAAC forums.

drpeter

Five ties from thrifting, some with shop tags on them. Four of them are Brooks Brothers all-silk models, woven in England and made in the US. These ties are of heavier silk with small embroidered patterns, not the light, thin variety. The fifth tie is a Robert Talbott, also US-made and silk, but this one is a fine, thin material, with small yellow diamonds on a dark blue background. Total cost for all five: $10.

drpeter

Silk ties by Zegna and Brooks Brothers, $2 apiece. Light green and white university-striped OCBD from Brooks Brothers in mint condition, with no pocket, and a black embroidered BB suspended sheep logo on the left part of the chest where the breast pocket would have been. I had never seen a BB shirt with the sheep logo on the front of the shirt, so I bough the bloody thing! It was $8.99, a bit pricey for Goodwill, but still a bargain. This is the logo:

1629258358560.png

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange