Thrift store blues & brags

drpeter

Today, I found a hard-sided leather attache case with twin Presto combination locks and pockets on the inside of the top. The leather has a nice grain, but little in the way of damage or even signs of use. It looks very much like the McKlein Turner briefcase shown below (image from the net). My cost for this case was $55. I have a weakness for briefcases and have a small collection of them, ranging from full size doctor's bags to folios and folders, mostly leather, but also tough canvas bags. I have backpacks too, including a lovely one with patinated leather, beautifully mottled.

1630796254026.png

Last edited:

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Today, I found a hard-sided leather attache case with twin Presto combination locks and pockets on the inside of the top. The leather has a nice grain, but little in the way of damage or even signs of use. It looks very much like the McKlein Turner briefcase shown below (image from the net). I have a weakness for briefcases and have a small collection of them, ranging from full size doctor's bags to folios and folders, mostly leather, but also tough canvas bags. I have backpacks too, including a lovely one with patinated leather, beautifully mottled.

View attachment 63534
Quite nice. Have never had a hard-sided but had a thing for leather soft-sided and messenger bags when I worked. Have had no occasion to use mine since retirement.

drpeter

Quite nice. Have never had a hard-sided but had a thing for leather soft-sided and messenger bags when I worked. Have had no occasion to use mine since retirement.
LOL, I am retired as well, but carry my briefcase with me on trips and to meetings where I might need papers or other materials. There's also room in the soft-sided canvas briefcases for a thermos of tea, biscuits, and other snacks, and a place to store my cell phone which is used strictly for emergencies.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today, I found a hard-sided leather attache case with twin Presto combination locks and pockets on the inside of the top. The leather has a nice grain, but little in the way of damage or even signs of use. It looks very much like the McKlein Turner briefcase shown below (image from the net). My cost for this case was $55. I have a weakness for briefcases and have a small collection of them, ranging from full size doctor's bags to folios and folders, mostly leather, but also tough canvas bags. I have backpacks too, including a lovely one with patinated leather, beautifully mottled.

View attachment 63534

I would love to see your collection of brief bags and backpacks. I too am retired and continue to use my bags in the manner you describe in a subsequent post. Awhile back I posted a shot of my bags, piled in an Ekorne recliner in my study. I will try to dig that post up and re-post it. ;)

drpeter

Not quite from a thrift store, but I found a pair of NIB Peal & Co Brooks Brothers Burgundy velvet slippers--my size--for $19.99 at Marshalls. Need these like I need a hole in the head but they were essentially free....
Now all you need is an elegant dressing gown, or a smoking jacket. You'll entertain at home in regal style, LOL.

drpeter

Some recent thrift-shop acquisitions: A Corbin sports jacket, worsted wool. dark grey with a faint maroon window-pane and soft shoulders. A Sussex sports jacket, three-button and undarted, with two buttons on the sleeve. An assortment of silk ties of various makes including several Brooks Brothers models of varying widths and a Polo wool bow tie in a tartan pattern. The jacket at $10 each, the ties, $2 each.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange