mhj

I'm looking for a tie storage solution. Most of the tie racks I've seen don't have more than about 20 pegs. Like most of us, my collection far exceeds that number and the state of my existing tie rack is a real disaster.

What are others using for their tie storage.

dkoernert

This is no help, but I am having the same problem. I currently roll mine, but I have been looking for a rack for the wall for some time now. I have found it impossible to find one locally that mounts on the wall with any substantial number of pegs, all I can seem to find are the ones that are supposed to hang in the closet.

CMDC

Honors Member
I roll them and store them in the plastic, clear, shoe boxes sold at Container Store. You can usually fit about 25/30 in each. They're clear, so you can look for ties without opening up and rummaging through them. They're stackable. And they keep the ties safe. The best solution that I've come up with.

dcjacobson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have a couple like this one:

4512313810869P.jpg

This particular rack holds 40 ties. You can find older versions of this product on eBay from time to time.

Good luck,
Don

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I sympathize. Even though I only wear ties about once a week for nine months of the year I still have too many for what storage I've got. Worse yet, my closet hasn't got room for one of those hanging types! I'm about to go hunting for an armoire or two to put in the guest room just to hold the overflow from my closet!

sbdivemaster

I've been looking into a new tie storage solution, so when I saw this thread, I had to take a look. While I'm still considering all kinds of options, I do have a question for the audience:

Do you find that your ties get a crease from hanging, long-term, on the small pegs usually found on all the different tie racks out there?

CMDC

Honors Member
When my wife and I were recently at an antique store, I saw this amazing, proably 100+ year old chest. Rather than having your standard drawers, it had instead probably fifteen drawers all no more than 2.5 inches in height. I'm not sure what they were used for originally but I started to fantasize about how this was the ultimate tie storage solution. You would have been able to fold your ties lengthwise and then arrange them however you wanted drawer by drawer. When I explained this to my wife she made it clear that in no way would we spend $1000 or so on something that would be used only for my ties.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Sigh, they just don't understand, do they? That wasn't an expense, it was an investment in fine furniture and couture. She should have realized . . .

sbdivemaster

When my wife and I were recently at an antique store, I saw this amazing, proably 100+ year old chest. Rather than having your standard drawers, it had instead probably fifteen drawers all no more than 2.5 inches in height. I'm not sure what they were used for originally but I started to fantasize about how this was the ultimate tie storage solution.
Apothecary cabinet...?

SWiMBO was concerned over a $1000 tie dorm? She what she thinks of this for a walk-in closet:

Antique Pharmacy Apothecary Display

:aportnoy:

Topsider

Honors Member
I use these. I hang more than one tie on a peg. When one fills up, add another.

I just have my bow ties hung over the trouser bar on a regular hanger.

Anybody ever tried one of these? The gadget geek in me is tempted, but it smacks of overkill.

Last edited:

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
The stuff that hangs in the closet doesn't afford sufficient accessibility, at least in my closet, and I still can never find the tie I want. I was considering building my own rack, then I spotted this:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF457_1_40000000001_-1

You could, presumably, add capacity with these:

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF458_1_40000000001_-1

I haven't tried this yet, but if it works, it would be a godsend, given that I own, easily, 300 ties and have no way of effectively storing them. I would address the dust issue by draping a cloth over the rack. The only other pitfall I can see would be the rack isn't tall enough to keep the ties off the floor, but I suspect that could be solved by jerry rigging "booster blocks" to the bottoms of the legs to elevate the rack.

Has anyone tried this? Is is a reasonable solution? I'm thinking I would need two, maybe three, to accommodate all my ties, but it would be worth it if it works.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Hmmm, I'm starting to visualize this. A small cabinet with shallow drawers above for the ties and two shelves below for shoes. And it would only be about 15" deep. Unfortunately, I have no floor space. Okay, I build an oak cabinet about 7" deep and hang it on the wall behind my closet door. It holds the ties and the shoes go into the drawer where the ties are now. This can be done. If all the ties hand on rods in a rack that swings out it should work neatly.

sbdivemaster

More like this. I think they're called document cabinets.

Ahhhh... Yes, some kind of document/map/chart/blue print cabinet. I've seen similar in architects and engineers offices.

Still considering something for storing ties that won't crease (and sometimes actually flatten out) the area the tie is hung from. (While a good idea, the rolled up in storage bins thing just isn't going to work in my current space limitations.) I've been wondering if it might be better to hang ties from the very tail end instead of draped over a peg at the middle...

EDIT: I missed this before:

The stuff that hangs in the closet doesn't afford sufficient accessibility, at least in my closet, and I still can never find the tie I want. I was considering building my own rack, then I spotted this...

I haven't tried this yet, but if it works, it would be a godsend, given that I own, easily, 300 ties and have no way of effectively storing them. I would address the dust issue by draping a cloth over the rack. The only other pitfall I can see would be the rack isn't tall enough to keep the ties off the floor, but I suspect that could be solved by jerry rigging "booster blocks" to the bottoms of the legs to elevate the rack.

Has anyone tried this? Is is a reasonable solution? I'm thinking I would need two, maybe three, to accommodate all my ties, but it would be worth it if it works.
Haven't tried it but it does look promising; I was thinking you take out some of the trolly rods, put pegs coming out of both sides of the remaining ones, and you could really up the capacity. (I hope that makes sense.)

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.