Tie Racks for the Obsessive

dcjacobson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Still considering something for storing ties that won't crease (and sometimes actually flatten out) the area the tie is hung from.

I have been hanging ties for over 30 years, and I've never noticed that problem. Besides, the point at which you hang the tie will be under the back of your shirt collar.

Good luck,
Don

Topsider

Honors Member
I have no desire to roll my ties up, but whoever built out their closet to include this tie storage rack clearly didn't mind.

Topsider

Honors Member
From California Closets. Disclaimer: Not mine...just Googling.

WalkInClosetClassicSysteminChocolatewithEcoresinTieStorageDetail.jpg

Last edited:

mommatook1

My closet in my current place is pretty small, so I searched for a while trying to find something for my ties that organized well, didn't take up much room, and was easy to access. I ended up ordering two of these and just screwed them into the inside of my closet door; one high and one low. Then I ordered a third for the extra clips, which is actually cheaper than ordering the clip refills. Holds 90 ties neatly on the back of one door. I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-mo...HJX0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334016381&sr=8-3

I especially like that once I've selected a shirt and tie, I can just hook the clip around the shirt's hager, then carry both over to hang on my valet stand. It also makes it easier to track which ties I've worn most recently... recently worn ties go on the left, then slowly get pushed right to go back into rotation.

mommatook1

From California Closets. Disclaimer: Not mine...just Googling.

WalkInClosetClassicSysteminChocolatewithEcoresinTieStorageDetail.jpg

I had something like that built into a closet in one of my previous apartments. It worked for everything, ties, slacks, braces, etc. Only problem was I quickly ran out of room and my ties and slacks were constantly overlapped and stacked up, which made it less functional. Now, if I'd had 3 more of them, it would have been fine.

Ahhhh... Yes, some kind of document/map/chart/blue print cabinet. I've seen similar in architects and engineers offices.

Still considering something for storing ties that won't crease (and sometimes actually flatten out) the area the tie is hung from. (While a good idea, the rolled up in storage bins thing just isn't going to work in my current space limitations.) I've been wondering if it might be better to hang ties from the very tail end instead of draped over a peg at the middle...

Oddly enough that's what I'm thinking of using.

I have a couple old flat files that I keep my photographs, prints and map collection in, I'm rebuilding the carcass of one and am going to use the top drawer for ties.

I actually abandoned the rolling method, and now fold my ties (and keep them in a drawer) I really haven't noticed a difference, and I've seen a number of people with far nicer ties than me store them in this manner.

mhj

Thanks for all the suggestions, this was the winner. I ordered two of them, which along with my current tie rack will go all long way in clearing up the mess.

Now the next problem is how to organize, by color, by pattern, dress or casual? It never ends.

My closet in my current place is pretty small, so I searched for a while trying to find something for my ties that organized well, didn't take up much room, and was easy to access. I ended up ordering two of these and just screwed them into the inside of my closet door; one high and one low. Then I ordered a third for the extra clips, which is actually cheaper than ordering the clip refills. Holds 90 ties neatly on the back of one door. I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-mo...HJX0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334016381&sr=8-3

I especially like that once I've selected a shirt and tie, I can just hook the clip around the shirt's hager, then carry both over to hang on my valet stand. It also makes it easier to track which ties I've worn most recently... recently worn ties go on the left, then slowly get pushed right to go back into rotation.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
I like this, too. Unfortunately, my main closet door already has a thread spool rack on which I hang my bow ties. And it's full.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this was the winner. I ordered two of them, which along with my current tie rack will go all long way in clearing up the mess.

Now the next problem is how to organize, by color, by pattern, dress or casual? It never ends.

ASF

Why not get two of this type of rack. Install one near the top of a closet door and the other beneath it. As you can see, I double up on most of the pins that hold my ties.

photo.jpg

CMDC

Honors Member
^Nice collection. If I may, what's that green one on the far left, looping over the top? Better yet, if you're on the Trad Tie box route, just dump a bunch of those in and ship to me.

ASF

^Nice collection. If I may, what's that green one on the far left, looping over the top? Better yet, if you're on the Trad Tie box route, just dump a bunch of those in and ship to me.

It's from Richard Rennett located at 175 West Jackson in Chicago's Loop.

If you need more info, PM me.
asf

Brooksfan

these things go over the door, I also use the CMDC method

Patrick-Did you give up on the electric ones? I thought after I got rid of them I'd miss them but not so. I have culled my collection now to where I'm down to 96 ties. Since they're all from Brooks and I've always asked for a gift boxes they all fit neatly on three shelves in the closet. I've labeled them and this keeps them from falling off the slide-out racks built into the closet when he had it done. Not for everyone but I now have imposed a rule that for every new one coming in one has to leave because I won't devote another shelf to it. I know once I clear the shelf space the emptiness will demand that I fill it with new boxes. It's working well now since they aren't making 4" ties now so I'm out of the market anyway.

ASF-Don't try that approach with a hollow core door. I speak from experience and ended up having to replace the door when I moved out of an apartment.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange