Tie Racks for the Obsessive

Taken Aback

Elite Member
There are times when I feel fully acclimated here, and then a thread like this comes along that makes me feel like I just registered again.

Thanks for apprising me of a problem I was blissfully unaware I had. ;)

Bradford

I use these. I hang more than one tie on a peg. When one fills up, add another.

324c_fashion_advice.jpg

I just have my bow ties hung over the trouser bar on a regular hanger.

Anybody ever tried one of these? The gadget geek in me is tempted, but it smacks of overkill.

I used to have one of these that my wife gave me as a gift. The motors are poorly made and mine only lasted 3-4 years before the motor died.

Why not get two of this type of rack. Install one near the top of a closet door and the other beneath it. As you can see, I double up on most of the pins that hold my ties.

photo.jpg

I currently use one like this - picked it up at Home Depot.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Ah! Home Depot, eh? This calls for a trip . . . after we get back from Europe. I doubt that I will be buying any ties in Amsterdam (he said with his fingers crossed behind his back.)

In fact, I think that getting two and building a shallow wall cabinet to hold them would be the perfect solution.

Last edited:

ada8356

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
You must have really thick ties.

Hmmmm, maybe.Mostly Brooks Brothers, Ike Behar, and Tie Rack. But it would be cramped placing any of them right next to each other on the spin-thing. I still think it's great,it just doesn't hold close to 20 ties as advertised.

Miket61

Elite Member
I've had one of the motorized models for quite some time and have had no problems.

I also have one of the first version Topsider posted, on which I keep the collection of Snoopy ties I amassed when I worked in a company where my division did not observe casual Friday but the division we worked closely with every day did.

I'm due for something else, because the odd pile of ties under the motorized rack now includes several Zegnas and a Sulka.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
I just ordered two of these. How many extra clips will fit on each one? If I can double up and get 60 per, that's a third or so of the problem licked.

My closet in my current place is pretty small, so I searched for a while trying to find something for my ties that organized well, didn't take up much room, and was easy to access. I ended up ordering two of these and just screwed them into the inside of my closet door; one high and one low. Then I ordered a third for the extra clips, which is actually cheaper than ordering the clip refills. Holds 90 ties neatly on the back of one door. I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Organizer-mo...HJX0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1334016381&sr=8-3

I especially like that once I've selected a shirt and tie, I can just hook the clip around the shirt's hager, then carry both over to hang on my valet stand. It also makes it easier to track which ties I've worn most recently... recently worn ties go on the left, then slowly get pushed right to go back into rotation.

mhj

I also ordered two of these, which I use in addition to my existing tie rack, and am very happy with them. They bring some order to my life and I can see all of my ties at one time. I think doubling up would make things pretty tight if it's even possible. You can add some extras but how many depends on the thickness of your ties.

I just ordered two of these. How many extra clips will fit on each one? If I can double up and get 60 per, that's a third or so of the problem licked.

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
We'll see soon enough. I'm getting a bit anxious. Sadly, I have more ties than closet doors at 30 ties per rack, even with two per door.

I also ordered two of these, which I use in addition to my existing tie rack, and am very happy with them. They bring some order to my life and I can see all of my ties at one time. I think doubling up would make things pretty tight if it's even possible. You can add some extras but how many depends on the thickness of your ties.

mingus2112

How about tie STORAGE? Really interested in this thread as I'm currently redoing my closet and need a tie solution. Most suggestions would work perfectly for the ties I wear.

What I'm talking about is storage for ties that 1) have sentimental value but I don't wear or 2) are too wide/skinny at the moment. I know the easiest thing to do with ties you don't wear is chuck them, but I don't feel like it! Would folded over in half and in half again be OK to store the ties for long term? Maybe just a single fold in a plastic bin?

-J

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
I've heard that Christmas tree ornament boxes work very well--roll 'em up and put them into the box, then put the boxes in plastic storage bins--but I'm unsure where one could acquire a large number of ornament boxes.

How about tie STORAGE? Really interested in this thread as I'm currently redoing my closet and need a tie solution. Most suggestions would work perfectly for the ties I wear.

What I'm talking about is storage for ties that 1) have sentimental value but I don't wear or 2) are too wide/skinny at the moment. I know the easiest thing to do with ties you don't wear is chuck them, but I don't feel like it! Would folded over in half and in half again be OK to store the ties for long term? Maybe just a single fold in a plastic bin?

-J

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Those are easy to find. Just do a google shirt for ornament boxes. We bought two sets of three with adjustable internal compartments that stack up. One tie per compartment is twenty-seven ties per stack rolled loosely and sealed against dust. Should work like a charm.

CMDC

Honors Member
Sounds like a good idea. I'll reiterate what I and a few others here, I believe, use. Plastic shoe boxes from Container Store--clear, stackable, air tight. You can fit about 25 or so rolled in each. About $4 each I think. I'm sure you could get ornament boxes there too as well as other options.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
So I was going to build a tie cabinet to hang on the wall. I have a well-equipped shop so the construction would do nothing but keep me out of trouble (and away from clothes buying) for a couple of days. Then I discovered this. The rank is all hardwood and so handsome I can't see any reason for hiding it inside a cabinet. I'll just hang it on the wall behind my closet door. When the door is open and exposing the messy inside of my closet it will be concealed. When the closet is closed and neat looking the colorful ties on their hardwood rack will act as wall art in the bedroom. And though I only have about nineteen ties right now, it will hold up to thirty-six, seventy-two if I stack two to the peg. I realize that makes me a bit of a piker in this august company but I suspect that will suffice for the rest of my life . . . and I'm not planning on pegging out any time soon!

mrbill12345

+1 to the shoeboxes. I have a number of ties in boxes that I'm not wearing at the moment.

As to the electric tie gadgets - I've had about three of them, and they all broke within a few months of purchase.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
I've been looking into a new tie storage solution, so when I saw this thread, I had to take a look. While I'm still considering all kinds of options, I do have a question for the audience:

Do you find that your ties get a crease from hanging, long-term, on the small pegs usually found on all the different tie racks out there?

No. Hanging ties is actually good for them. It helps the silk relax and return to its original form. With exception to very heavy, loosely woven ties, the stretch is minimal.

I use these. I hang more than one tie on a peg. When one fills up, add another.

324c_fashion_advice.jpg

I use three of these for my 100+ tie collection. I got mine from target, which are metal, with rubber stops over the pegs, but they have two rows of pegs on each side (four peg rows in total). I keep one to a peg, and there are hooks on the bottom for belts. My ties take up about three jacket's worth of the hanging space (full length, of course, so no hanging on double stack bars). As stated, motorized ones only hold 30ish, and the motor breaks. Takes up WAY too much space.

All depends on your home decor I suppose. I was also really enamored with this, mainly because I know it's the sort of thing that the wife would never go for in a million years: https://tailorcaid.exblog.jp/13687655/ - The screen in the back of a bunch of those shots

It looks like pulling them through the screen on a regular basis (as we would use them, not as a store display) would risk damage and possibly dimple the tie if it held it snug enough to not let it fall.

The stuff that hangs in the closet doesn't afford sufficient accessibility, at least in my closet, and I still can never find the tie I want. I was considering building my own rack, then I spotted this:

You could, presumably, add capacity with these:

I haven't tried this yet, but if it works, it would be a godsend, given that I own, easily, 300 ties and have no way of effectively storing them. I would address the dust issue by draping a cloth over the rack. The only other pitfall I can see would be the rack isn't tall enough to keep the ties off the floor, but I suspect that could be solved by jerry rigging "booster blocks" to the bottoms of the legs to elevate the rack.

Has anyone tried this? Is is a reasonable solution? I'm thinking I would need two, maybe three, to accommodate all my ties, but it would be worth it if it works.

My only issue with this would be the lack of it being at eye level or close to. You'll have to bend over, or sit in a chair to thumb through your ties. Further, you'd have to wrap the bars in felt to stop the ties sliding off, and you would have to fold them more than once. Booster blocks would work, but I'm willing to bet that you'd have to do some weight/stabilization to stop it from tipping over easily.

From California Closets. Disclaimer: Not mine...just Googling.

WalkInClosetClassicSysteminChocolatewithEcoresinTieStorageDetail.jpg

Not a bad solution, but that still only looks like it holds 50-60. Now, doing that double-stacked may be an option.

My current solution is the hanger above, and when I take a tie off, I use one of the wall mounted tie racks to let it rest. This also helps me keep track of my tie rotation, as I try to wear as many as possible before doubling back (I do this with shirts too). Having a large walk-in to design/build in the coming months, I'm looking for a pretty serious answer to this and my 100+ pairs of socks. Space isn't an issue, as I have a 11'x14' area to build out.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.