Tie Racks for the Obsessive

mhj

I also ordered two of these, which I use in addition to my existing tie rack, and am very happy with them. They bring some order to my life and I can see all of my ties at one time. I think doubling up would make things pretty tight if it's even possible. You can add some extras but how many depends on the thickness of your ties.

Here's my tie collection now, I'm quite happy with these. I can visualize my entire collection at once and have room for expansion. The top rack was my existing one.

by mjoseph990, on Flickr

32rollandrock

Connoisseur
Only because he has figured out how to hang everything within reach. I have that many ties. Easily. I suspect a lot of us do. Photos like these make me think I'll never get organized.

Now that's what I would call obsessive. He puts most of us to shame :biggrin:

Tilton

Elite Member
I have a good friend - an architect - with a perfectly shabby-chic apartment that looks like it could actually be an Anthropologie store (I know some of you know what I'm talking about) and one day his partner came home with an old paint-stained, worn down ladder from an estate sale. He painted the rungs with some sort of polyurethane coating to keep them smooth and splinter free, leaned it up against an exposed brick wall in his bedroom, and hung ties over all the rungs. I'll try to get a pictures, but the effect is similar to the one above, but much cooler looking.

Acme

I saw Paul Stuart's sock display, and I thought I would love to have one of those hanging on my wall for storing ties.

0017.jpg

But I could never make that happen, so I guess I'll just have to make due with my current system.

My attempt:

Bottom drawer of my flat file, holds about 52 ties.

I'm embarrassed to say I still have another dozen or so of my most frequently worn ties hanging in the closet, and another handful I've given up wearing, but can't throw out.

My hope is that if I limit myself to just this one drawer I'll limit my collection.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
My attempt:

Bottom drawer of my flat file, holds about 52 ties.

I'm embarrassed to say I still have another dozen or so of my most frequently worn ties hanging in the closet, and another handful I've given up wearing, but can't throw out.

My hope is that if I limit myself to just this one drawer I'll limit my collection.

This is what I need for socks......

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Actually, I'm less obsessed about neckties (I only have nineteen so far) than I am about wood and wood working. Here's my tie cabinet made of ribbon mahogany.

tie cabinet closed.jpg

tie cabinet open.jpg

I just finished and installed it this morning. Isn't the wood lovely?

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Actually, I'm less obsessed about neckties (I only have nineteen so far) than I am about wood and wood working. Here's my tie cabinet made of ribbon mahogany.

View attachment 4872

View attachment 4873

I just finished and installed it this morning. Isn't the wood lovely?

Nice rack, Sarge! :icon_smile_big:

Seriously though, that wood is beautiful! Don't think I've ever heard of that variety of exotic wood. Is it a veneer? Though I have ten thumbs when it comes to cabinetry (And much else.), I admire handsome work like this. Well done!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
No, I was just wandering around a hardwood lumber store when I came across this chunk about 18" wide, 8' long and three inches thick for for the same price as straight grain African Mahogany! So even though I didn't have any particular use for it at the time, I bought it. It's been sitting in the shop for about three years so I cut it up into boards and veneers (I've got a great little band saw for that) and assembled it. I'm made some smaller boxes out of it, as well so there're only a few scraps left but man, it was gorgeous. I may just have to wander back there . . .

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange