Tie Racks for the Obsessive

Orgetorix

Honors Member
Sure it is. So was this:

bear_in_hat_2.jpg

and these glasses:

the suit:

Those men are all admirable or despicable to varying degrees, but the point is that branding with apparel is nothing new. They aren't trying to conform to iGent notions of what it means to be well dressed. They're doing what they do best - selling themselves and the programs they head up.

I see your point Orgetorix.
My intention isn;t to hold Gee to igent standards, I do think he and Tressel came to their trademarks organically, and things just got out of hand (in Gee's case at least).

I suppose it bugs me because I'd like to be able to wear bow ties and sweater vests without some people thinking it's a "look at me" statement", but that's probably my own insecurity speaking.

I remember from undergrad many TAs and professors had a clothing trademark.
Off the top of my head I remember a couple profs who always wore bow tie, one who always wore a shirt with an equation on it, one who was an Indiana Jones cosplayer (in and out of class), another guy who always wore a "far side" shirt etc etc. They were almost all in either physics or chemistry.

scholl43

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
This thread had some good info to consider for the long term for me, but I was wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations for closet hanging (preferably with free shipping). I've looked around at reviews on Amazon and there seems to be a lot of junk.
Eventually I'll probably go with plastic shoe bins, but for now I have a small collection and I'll likely be moving twice in the next year, making space an issue. Any good hanger ideas?

Monocle

I vow to own a haberdasher, as big as I can afford, one day. To me that is the ultimate ode. But currently I fold ties (when the hangers are full) and lay them side by side overlapping in the upper drawers of my chest. I can see the patterns and colors as they lay flat. And it feels like I'm shopping.

cincydavid

I have plastic hanging racks that each hold 12 ties...I only have about 80 ties, but I have started hanging the most recently worn ties on the rack farthest to the left, exposing ties that would otherwise be buried on the other racks, which is helping me wear a wider variety of ties than I would otherwise. I do the same thing with wool trousers...the ones I wore today go to the left, and my outfit tomorrow will be built around whichever trousers are on the far right end of the rack. This forces me to wear all of my trousers with some sort of regularity.

Spin Evans

229382_560235812289_4737396_n.jpg

I have an old set of Postal Service cubbies that I don't know what to do with. Would this be a good avenue for storing ties in? I have plenty of tsotchkes, but I would like to display my ties as well. My concern is that there'd be a lot of empty space above each tie.

(Please forgive the oh-so-forced staging, I thought about selling this a few years ago and used this pic for the ad)

Tilton

Elite Member
Personally, I wouldn't display them. You wouldn't display shirts, jackets, or shoes, so why ties? That's a cool rack, though - I'd buy it off CL if I saw it.

I have a few of those JAB cedar tie racks a few years back. They hold most of my ties - have to double up on a few - and the little shelf on the top is nice. Downside is you have to mount them. I haven't mounted them yet in my new house, though.

For what it's worth, do not purchase the hanging tie racks at Jos A Bank's. I know it's tempting when they have a buy one get 2 free, and each rack has 40 pegs, but they're very poor quality. I have one that has somehow managed to start splitting, and even before that the pegs have randomly slipped out.

They're ties for god's sake--how does their weight manage to split wood? This tie rack in question has done nothing but hang in my closet for the past year. Very chintzy.

Tinny

Starting Member
LL
I've tried every rack out there, and have not found better than this.
Each rack comfortably holds 80-90 ties, and when you pull out the one you want it doesn't disturb the others.
My problem is that I need like three more, and have been unable to find them for the past 7 years!
As a proud "tie-obsessed" person (over 600), I need good storage and uniformity.
LL

Last edited:

ThomGault

LL
I've tried every rack out there, and have not found better than this.
Each rack comfortably holds 80-90 ties, and when you pull out the one you want it doesn't disturb the others.
My problem is that I need like three more, and have been unable to find them for the past 7 years!
As a proud "tie-obsessed" person (over 600), I need good storage and uniformity.
LL

Definitely looks totally legit to me. :fool:

ROI

I'd love to show you my solution, but I'm unable to upload a photograph for what I'm sure is a good reason.

I use over-the-door towel racks that I got in the bathroom products department at Target. There are four horizontal bars at progressively greater distances from the door so that the ties all hang straight down. Each rung can hold 15 to 20 ties. Each rack costs less than $15. This is not the exact product I have, but it gets the idea across. https://www.target.com/p/interdesign-steel-shower-towel-rack/-/A-50302574

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.