Men's Clothing Forums banner

Time for a more recent trouser thread.

3K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Oldsarge 
#1 ·
Outerwear Dress shirt Dress Sleeve Textile

See less See more
#6 ·
I’d like to know what happened to pleated trousers. Almost all trousers available off the peg are flat-fronted: in my view considerably less elegant, especially if one’s stomach is of anything other than the washboard variety.

I always specify forward-facing pleats when commissioning a new suit, but otherwise I tend to have to settle for flat fronts.

#7 ·
I'd like to know what happened to pleated trousers. Almost all trousers available off the peg are flat-fronted: in my view considerably less elegant, especially if one's stomach is of anything other than the washboard variety.

I always specify forward-facing pleats when commissioning a new suit, but otherwise I tend to have to settle for flat fronts.
Member @Fading Fast made a great point in a previous thread on the topic about how the fashion industry went to great lengths to kill off pleated trousers (to sell flat fronts) to the point where young men avoid them entirely. They were given the stigma of being "old man pants." Now they're trying to bring them back.

#8 · (Edited)
Reality is that pleated trousers were never killed off, hard as the fashionistas tried.

They are and have been available to those thst seek them.
Many British vendors offer them, forward pleats.

No need to bring them back, they never left.
Check out N&L, E&R, offered OTR mostly in suits. Cording's another.

I can't speak to young men in genaral as to their preferences these days, as those days are far behind me but, practically and good sense of style still xists.

#9 ·
Reality is that pleated trousers were never killed off, hard as the fashionistas tried.

They are and have been available to those thst seek them.
Many British vendors offer them, forward pleats.

No need to bring them back, they never left.
Check out N&L, E&R, offered OTR mostly in suits. Cording's another.

I can't speak to young men in genaral as to their preferences these days, as those days are far behind me but, practicallity and good sense of style still exists.

#25 ·
Side tabs provide a clean wiast band, what's old fashioned about that and as you said, far more comfortable.

By chance, the person, people who have told you they're old fashioned, sales people?

Just my personal opinion, I don't like D ring tabs, they slip.
On that note, does it strike anyone else as strange that the side tabs in the OP picture are located BENEATH the waistband? I'm sure it's done on purpose, but seems to be less than ideally functional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.