Men's Clothing Forums banner

Tipped Cardigans?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Natty Beau 
#1 ·
I posted this in the question/answer thread but donut know if anyone saw it. I've been trying for several years to get into cardigans, and they've always ended up frumpy looking on me, but I think I've finally found one I like. It's BB red fleece, gray (which is what I wanted), thin cotton, and best of all, no pockets. The only thing is that it's tipped in navy. I think I like the navy accenting, but has anyone found tipped cardigans difficult to pair with a tie? Should I avoid this or go ahead and get it? Pic from BB website below.

preface: I've had good experiences with my BB RF stuff, so that aspect doesn't bother me

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I wouldn't wear a tie with it. The piping is so thick that it looks too casual for a tie, in my opinion. But it's still very wearable, just a bit more casual.

I think cardigans with a bit more visual interest (cable knit, ribbed, etc.) work better as a sport coat substitute, while thin cotton or merino ones work best under a jacket. For summer, I believe Ralph has a slubby linen one which may work in place of a jacket, but I may be thinking of a previous season.

#5 ·
Seems like the kind of cardigan to pair with a silk knit tie. But in my opinion, the lack of pockets is a disappointment.

#6 ·
Brooks's cardigans (especially the Red Fleece ones) are some of the best things they sell right now, IMO. Having said that, I'm not really in love with that one. I think the plainness is going to work against you by making it look more frumpy. I assume you wear a small, and the only one I see in your size that I really like is (although if you're intent on wearing a tie with it, this may not be your best option).

Their stock is pretty depleted at the moment. You may just want to wait another month or two until the fall/winter stuff hits.

#8 ·
I'd get it, especially since it's navy, which will go with pretty much anything.
+1, while I do absorb the occasional "Mr. Rogers" comment, I love cardigans and ever since they've been making a quiet comeback, I haven't heard a comment. I really like the one you are looking at and think that other than avoiding a tie with a lot of navy in it (as the line between the tie and sweater could get messed up), I don't think you'll have a problem. And without a tie, for a more casual outfit, it will echo Ivy's heyday nicely (it will do that with a tie, just pointing out that it will work well without one also).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.