toyberg

I have several TM Lewin shirts. I have found the quality compared to my other shirts (Curtis&Hawes, CT, RL, Paul Frederick, MyTailor, JC Penney and others) to be less than. They seem thin and somewhat flimsy. They are the basic shirt so maybe that's why. What is the general consensus?

The CT's are alright but they shrink like crazy in the cuffs and collars. More than any other shirt I have. Curtis & Hawes are my favorites followed by MyTailor. I'd like to get some shirts that are not super expensive (40-75) that look good and hold up well. Suggestions? BTW, I am a 17 1/2 to 18 collar, 36-37 sleeves.

ASK ANDY UPDATE:
In addition to all the helpful information below, be sure to check out our comprehensive guide on T.M.Lewin!

Last edited by a moderator:

Balfour

Suspended
TM Lewin are very entry level - the Jos A Banks of shirts, if you like. They offer good value on a budget.

I mainly wear Turnbull and Asser OTR and shirts from a small one-horse made to measure outfit in London.

in your range, I would look at Hilditch and Key in a sale.

Bjorn

I have several TM Lewin shirts. I have found the quality compared to my other shirts (Curtis&Hawes, CT, RL, Paul Frederick, MyTailor, JC Penney and others) to be less than. They seem thin and somewhat flimsy. They are the basic shirt so maybe that's why. What is the general consensus?

The CT's are alright but they shrink like crazy in the cuffs and collars. More than any other shirt I have. Curtis & Hawes are my favorites followed by MyTailor. I'd like to get some shirts that are not super expensive (40-75) that look good and hold up well. Suggestions? BTW, I am a 17 1/2 to 18 collar, 36-37 sleeves.
Tml are very basic shirts. It's what I buy when I need shirts but don't really have much money.

But they hold up well and nothing in the make or detailing is really bad. They look ok. But I either buy that or Turnbull & Asser, preferably on sale. HK may indeed be an option.

I prefer to get either basic shirts like tml or very good shirts like T&A. I find the midrange boring.

Haffman

There are many problems with TM Lewin shirts, such as creasing of the cuffs, sizing and robustness of the collar and general quality of the fabric.

However, you are getting what you pay for. Their prices are very, very reasonable. So on cost:benefit analysis they still score highly despite the drawbacks. Many shirts are just as bad, but significantly more expensive.

toyberg

There are many problems with TM Lewin shirts, such as creasing of the cuffs, sizing and robustness of the collar and general quality of the fabric.

However, you are getting what you pay for. Their prices are very, very reasonable. So on cost:benefit analysis they still score highly despite the drawbacks. Many shirts are just as bad, but significantly more expensive.
I know but even the Costco shirts I bought seem more put together than the TM's.

Balfour

Suspended
I just don't get why people want cheap shirts.

I could easily - but do not - get by with 10 shirts for the weekdays. I risk coming over all Mafoofan here, but I generally wear pale blue solids and white and blue patterns. Generally double cuff. I realise everyone has different budgets and people will be in a different position when starting out, but i probably only wear out three or four shirts a year. At that rate, the T&A prices are not prohibitive.

Haffman

Reasons include (not for me personally but just in general) :
(1) Budgetary constraints -- 10 x £120 or similar for RTW T&A quality is still a lot of money to spend on shirts
(2) Working conditions -- for example on my days on the wards, there was always a good chance of getting blood splattered on a shirt or similar so I wouldn't be breaking out the Brioni's there
(3) (Affordable) variety -- some people are really into trying out lots of different looks, I notice for example that upr_ uses a lot of TM Lewin shirts. If you choose from a more narrow range of shirts, this isn't a factor.

Balfour

Suspended
Reasons include (not for me personally but just in general) :
(1) Budgetary constraints -- 10 x £120 or similar for RTW T&A quality is still a lot of money to spend on shirts
(2) Working conditions -- for example on my days on the wards, there was always a good chance of getting blood splattered on a shirt or similar so I wouldn't be breaking out the Brioni's there
(3) (Affordable) variety -- some people are really into trying out lots of different looks, I notice for example that upr_ uses a lot of TM Lewin shirts. If you choose from a more narrow range of shirts, this isn't a factor.
Yes, I appreciate I was asking for an excessively literal response. I think I acknowledged (3) as not being persuasive for me, and (1) in my comment about starting out (i.e. if your replacement rate is three T&A in sales per annum, that works out at closer to £300). (2) is a fairly limited category.

So, my question remains, for a professional earning a decent but by no means generous salary, why favour cheap shirts over a small collection of decent quality ones?

Bjorn

Yes, I appreciate I was asking for an excessively literal response. I think I acknowledged (3) as not being persuasive for me, and (1) in my comment about starting out (i.e. if your replacement rate is three T&A in sales per annum, that works out at closer to £300). (2) is a fairly limited category.

So, my question remains, for a professional earning a decent but by no means generous salary, why favour cheap shirts over a small collection of decent quality ones?
Not all have decent salaries, least of all when starting out, and if you get 15 tml shirts you will have classic shirts to wear (which are basically underwear), different for each day between laundry :)

Belfaborac

Not all have decent salaries, least of all when starting out, and if you get 15 tml shirts you will have classic shirts to wear (which are basically underwear), different for each day between laundry :smile:
Not to mention that a lot of people aren't going to see the sense in paying £80-150 for a shirt, when equally nice looking (to anyone who isn't a sartorial guru) shirts can be had for £20-25. As for the difference in quality.... If you've never owned a £100 shirt, how will you know? And quite frankly, even if they do recognise the qualitative difference, they may simply feel that a shirt at that price is a pointless extravagance.

Haffman

Sounds like it was a rhetorical question then Balfour.

Balfour

Suspended
Sounds like it was a rhetorical question then Balfour.
It wasn't framed as a question at all, actually.

The comment was intended to explore what, to me, is an interesting facet of the quality versus quantity debate.

The budgetary stuff really goes without saying. If one has only £1000 a year to spend on clothes, one isn't going to buy T&A shirts (on sale or otherwise).

But establishing certain parameters of budget and taste, I am interested in exploring why people would wish to buy lots of cheap shirts from TM Lewin as opposed to a more limited number from firms like T&A.

Balfour

Suspended
Not to mention that a lot of people aren't going to see the sense in paying £80-150 for a shirt, when equally nice looking (to anyone who isn't a sartorial guru) shirts can be had for £20-25. As for the difference in quality.... If you've never owned a £100 shirt, how will you know? And quite frankly, even if they do recognise the qualitative difference, they may simply feel that a shirt at that price is a pointless extravagance.
Trust me, there is a BIG difference between a Turnbull & Asser shirt and a TM Lewin shirt. As for what the masses think, that doesn't inform my sartorial choices one iota.

Haffman

The queston I was referring to is highlighted above and presumably you agree it's a question. My point was that the answers have been given - unwilling to pay that much for whatever reason, workplace issues or wanting to get more variety rather than quality for the expenditure.

Like you I am a quality over quantity man but I can see why the expense of T&A puts people off even if they are on good salaries. I agree with you though that the outlay is in fact worth it.

Last edited:

Balfour

Suspended
Not all have decent salaries, least of all when starting out, and if you get 15 tml shirts you will have classic shirts to wear (which are basically underwear), different for each day between laundry :)
I acknowledged that things may be different when people are starting out, and I think one can explore an angle to a question for a subcategory (i.e. those who are on decent salaries). It would be a very boring forum if we could only explore sartorial choices that everyone could afford.

As for the 15 shirts thing, as I say, I think I could get by on 10 shirts for the weekdays very easily (in reality I have more, but this is more a question of what the minimum acceptable number would be assuming budget forced you into difficult decisions as between quality and quantity).

Balfour

Suspended
The queston I was referring to is highlighted above and presumably you agree it's a question. My point was that the answers have been given - unwilling to pay that much for whatever reason, workplace issues or wanting to get more variety rather than quality for the expenditure.

Like you I am a quality over quantity man but I can see why the expense of T&A puts people off even if they are on good salaries.
Yes, that quoted bit was a question. (I could get into a tedious grammatical debate about whether the "it" in your post #12 would be read to refer to my post #7 rather than my post #9, but I will spare us all that!:biggrin2:)

As I say, though, I find it curious that people who are interested in clothes (assuming adequate budget) still buy from TM Lewin, and I just don't get the "lots of c&ap shirts = interesting variety" rather than "lots of cr*p shirts = lots of cra* shirts" logic.

Belfaborac

Trust me, there is a BIG difference between a Turnbull & Asser shirt and a TM Lewin shirt. As for what the masses think, that doesn't inform my sartorial choices one iota.
Nor should it. However, since you stated that you did not understand why people want cheap shirts, I simply added more reasons to those already mentioned by others. As far as the qualitative difference is concerned I own several shirts from Turnbull & Asser, as well as a couple from TM Lewin, so I'm relatively well aware of how they compare.

Balfour

Suspended
Nor should it. However, since you stated that you did not understand why people want cheap shirts, I simply added more reasons to those already mentioned by others. As far as the qualitative difference is concerned I own several shirts from Turnbull & Asser, as well as a couple from TM Lewin, so I'm relatively well aware of how they compare.
Good Lord, the concept of a polemical comment is totally lost on some of you chaps.

But, thanks for representing the "I don't give a &rap about clothes, so I buy ASDA George for value" constituency on AAAC.:biggrin2:

Haffman

Yes, that quoted bit was a question. (I could get into a tedious grammatical debate about whether the "it" in your post #12 would be read to refer to my post #7 rather than my post #9, but I will spare us all that!:biggrin2:)

As I say, though, I find it curious that people who are interested in clothes (assuming adequate budget) still buy from TM Lewin, and I just don't get the "lots of c&ap shirts = interesting variety" rather than "lots of cr*p shirts = lots of cra* shirts" logic.
I would have replied that "question remains" implied the previous existence of said question :icon_smile_big:

I must confess to a reluctance about equating 'people interested in clothes' who are on 'adequate budget' with the quality level of Turnbull & Asser, for fear of sounding like an absurdly complacent character from an F Scott Fitzgerald novel :wink2:. Money is always a tricky subject. But the general point of quality over quantity and quality repaying over time is one I accept.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.