Trad Anonymous

Laxplayer

Honors Member, <br>Varsity Captain
Brownshoe said:
I think a lot of what reads as "pathos" to you is actually pretty tongue-in-cheek; we get painted with the "you take yourselves too seriously" brush pretty often, but I don't see it. More like gallows humor in a Men's Wearhouse world.

Anyway, a stiff upper lip is no more "trad" than any other emotional profile--let me sing another chorus of "Trad is Something You Wear, Not Something You Are." A personality test/background check is not a prerequisite for wearing J Press. The idea that we on this board subscribe to such a notion is, I believe, largely a misunderstanding.

We love the clothes. We love the history. We like to kid around. And I would wager we all would find the idea that this "trad" stuff is some kind of badge of moral/social/whatever superiority patently ridiculous.

At least I pray to God we would.

Do you mean to tell me that wearing bow ties does not make me superior to those who don't? :icon_smile_wink:
 

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Brownshoe said:
I think a lot of what reads as "pathos" to you is actually pretty tongue-in-cheek; we get painted with the "you take yourselves too seriously" brush pretty often, but I don't see it. More like gallows humor in a Men's Wearhouse world.

Anyway, a stiff upper lip is no more "trad" than any other emotional profile--let me sing another chorus of "Trad is Something You Wear, Not Something You Are." A personality test/background check is not a prerequisite for wearing J Press. The idea that we on this board subscribe to such a notion is, I believe, largely a misunderstanding.

We love the clothes. We love the history. We like to kid around. And I would wager we all would find the idea that this "trad" stuff is some kind of badge of moral/social/whatever superiority patently ridiculous.

At least I pray to God we would.

I'll say "Amen" to that brother!
 

pendennis

Senior Member
A Questionable Gentleman said:
Laxplayer said:
No, short sleeves are not Trad, although I do like the tie and glasses. I don't consider the Uzi very Trad either. :icon_smile_wink:

[/qote]

You're right about the Uzi. Surely no self-respecting Trad would be caught wielding 9MM. .45 ACP should be the Trad round of choice for an SMG. Preferably, though, the baddies would be given what for with bird shot from a Damascus twisted steel side-by-side.

AQG - Even more traditional would be to carry the Thompson Model 1927, with a 50-round drum magazine.
 
pendennis said:
A Questionable Gentleman said:
AQG - Even more traditional would be to carry the Thompson Model 1927, with a 50-round drum magazine.

I'd have to think about that. After all, the drum mag has a lot of mobster associations, not to mention it's guaranteed to break the line of your suit. WWII, one could argue, made it acceptable for the Trad officer and gentleman to carry one with a straight clip. Perhaps Trad anglophilia militates in favor of the British Sten for a Trad's wilder attempts to punish society for moving forward?
 

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
A Questionable Gentleman said:
I'd have to think about that. After all, the drum mag has a lot of mobster associations, not to mention it's guaranteed to break the line of your suit.
Ho ho, I don't think that weapon was ever intended to be hidden in anything other than a cello case!
 
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.