Trad article in latest Improper Bostonian

Alistair

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
My wife just brought home the latest issue of The Improper Bostonian, the style issue, featuring a trad primer called "It's a trad, trad world: One of the city's most understated style movements is also one of its most complex."

The IB is a free weekly that doesn't have content on their website, but fellow Bostonians may want to pick this up. The first entry in the article's "glossary" is AAAC's Trad Forum. It also includes descriptions of OCBDs, sacks, and 986s.

I'm no trad, but regularly read the forum, and overall, I think they did a decent job in bringing the principles of trad to Boston's mass transit riders. :icon_smile:

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
This is a blow-up of the cover:

From the table of contents on the website:

Anyone got a copy yet?

It's the one with the three basketball players on the cover. At some point I will try to contact them for a copy of the article, probably after the next issue is out.

DocD

Northeastern

I was downtown last night but couldn't find a copy in any of the three boxes I looked in.

I'll be in a different part of the city tonight, and I have Miss Northeastern on the lookout as well.

paper clip

Elite Member
I just sent them a e-mail request as follows:

=======================

Hello folks,

I am a member of the Trad forum on Ask Andy About Clothes:

It has come to the board's attention that your fine publication has issued an article about the Trad style of dress in Boston.

It's a trad, trad world
One of the city's most understated style movements is also one of its most complex. BY NATHANIEL ADAMS

I am requesting by this e-mail a copy of the article by e-mail that I would have permission to post in the forum. No other use would be made by me of the article.

Thanks, and best wishes,

PaperClip

=======================

I'll let you know if I get any response.

tsweetland

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I just checked it out. It's pretty much a primer, but the photos are terrible. They obviously don't know too much about the style. Nice pieces poorly put together. None of the models' pants are cuffed and all appear to be too long. Doesn't really reflect me at all.

hbs midwest

The Handbook Revisited

I just checked it out. It's pretty much a primer, but the photos are terrible. They obviously don't know too much about the style. Nice pieces poorly put together. None of the models' pants are cuffed and all appear to be too long. Doesn't really reflect me at all.
Too bad--Lisa Birnbach and friends put together The Preppy Handbook about 27 years ago; it was far from perfect, but got a lot of the style details gown pat, and this was reflected in the illustrations. For starters, there was a heading dealing with "The Importance of Cuffs."

It's more rewarding to do than read about (wink)...:icon_smile_wink:

hbs

Last edited:

dopey

I was in Boston this weekend and picked up a copy on the way out of town.
The photos are pretty bad, more for the expression and poses of the models than for the clothes, which I thought were fine. The text itself was, I thought, excellent for this kind of article and combined a good overview with some detail. The AAAC Trad forum was featured quite heavily and positively. Regular participants here should be clamoring more loudly than you are for someone to scan and post it.

The only oddity I recall was the article commenting that when it comes to OCBDs, button-through pocket flaps ala J.Press were more trad, though harder to find, than a third button on the back of the collar. Whichever is more trad, I don't recall seeing a third collar button in 20+ years.

Northeastern

I've had "my people" scouring the city for this, but it seems to be a rather popular issue due to the article on KG, Paul Pierce, and Ray Allen. I'm still hopeful that I'll find one.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
paper clip said:
FYI -I've had no response to my e-mail request to the editors for a copy to post ....
I doubt they'll ever get back to you, at least not before the next issue is out. Even then, given this is a free throwaway rag for commuters to read, and therefore has no longevity, they will probably not take your request seriously.

Unless of course the AAAT member who actually wrote the article steps up and posts the text himself...

DocD

kforton

I have a copy and will try to figure out how to scan it. The pages are too big for my scanner, so I'll have to figure that out. The article is OK. The illustrations of the style, however, are not very accurate. They got lots of details right but miss some obvious ones, like the cuff thing. I think this was from lack of interdepartmental communication.

kmd02

Starting Member
I do have higher resoltion versions, but I'm bumping into the size limit on Imageshack. If anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to repost!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.