Trad article in latest Improper Bostonian

A.Squire

Honors Member
I'd just like to take this opportunity to welcome any "lurkers" that found their way here via the article. Surely there's one. Someone, no doubt, sitting on the train thinking, "what the _?. 'Trad', that's it, that's me!"

Please stand (log in) and testify.

What's the over/under? I bet Laxplayer could give us one. I don't bet mind you, but I gotta cinco de trad that says Harris' opening post gains another fan.

*Of course he could write about most anything and pick up a fan.

yossarian

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The only oddity I recall was the article commenting that when it comes to OCBDs, button-through pocket flaps ala J.Press were more trad, though harder to find, than a third button on the back of the collar. Whichever is more trad, I don't recall seeing a third collar button in 20+ years.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but I have a Press OCBD that has both a third collar button (on the back) and a button-through pocket flap. I didn't think it was that old, but maybe I got it when I was in college, which is about 15 years ago.

Kent Wang

I do have higher resoltion versions, but I'm bumping into the size limit on Imageshack. If anyone has suggestions, I'd be happy to repost!
I use Flickr.com. You can open your own (free) account, or email them to me and I'll post them for you. PM me for my email address.

dopey

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but I have a Press OCBD that has both a third collar button (on the back) and a button-through pocket flap. I didn't think it was that old, but maybe I got it when I was in college, which is about 15 years ago.
I did mean the the third collar button in the back. I haven't seen them in a while.

bedrock

Starting Member
Check out Gant for the third collar button. Sample sale started today and continues for a couple days at 20 W. 55th 11th floor NYC.
Over and out.

AldenPyle

Honors Member
All the Japanese Press shirts, I saw this summer had a third button in back.

I am sure Mercer would put one on if you asked for it.

dopey

This bit about the third button is interesting. Obviously, I have been oblivious as I can't recall seeing any recently. I do remember them from years ago. None of the Press OCBDs I have have them, but they are hardly uniform. Three have three-hole buttons and two have four-hole buttons. Only one of them has a pocket flap. (And of course, only two are really OCBDs - the other three are broadcloth.)

sweetness360

Can anyone email me this story, as I'd be happy to transcribe it for the forum. Send me a PM if you can. I'm afraid the previously posted pictures are just to hazy for me to make out. Thanks

septa

This bit about the third button is interesting. Obviously, I have been oblivious as I can't recall seeing any recently. I do remember them from years ago. None of the Press OCBDs I have have them, but they are hardly uniform. Three have three-hole buttons and two have four-hole buttons. Only one of them has a pocket flap. (And of course, only two are really OCBDs - the other three are broadcloth.)

I am wearing a multi-colered gingham shirt from Faconable that I picked up a few years ago (4-5) and it has a thrid button. It also has a wonderfully full cut and a beautiful collar roll. Unfortunately It is nearing the end of its useful life. Too bad broadcloth, or whatever it is, isn't as durable as Oxford.

kmd02

Starting Member
Sorry, I've been slacking since my original post. I have a high resolution scan of the article, but need to figure out a hosting service that will host the large files. Hopefully I'll have time this weekend.

kmd02

Starting Member
Hopefully these will be better:
URL]

URL]

URL]

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
Thanks for making the effort to scan and post that article. I'm delighted to see media exposure for the forum and the clothing, but inevitably it's the sort of thing that will spark more debate!

DocD

(Is it just me, or does the guy on the third page look like Familyman?)

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
Thanks for making the scan(s).

Now that I've read it, my professional opinion is the guy spent more time than I would have expected reading the forum and spit it back fairly well. Were I his editor I would have sent him in search of some flesh and blood examples.

Hayek

Thanks for making the scan(s).

Now that I've read it, my professional opinion is the guy spent more time than I would have expected reading the forum and spit it back fairly well. Were I his editor I would have sent him in search of some flesh and blood examples.

Those were my thoughts as well.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.