Trad classics you just don't like?

There's a pretty defined set of items that are 100% trad, but I'm willing to bet most of us don't own all of them.

In fact, I'd say some of us can find one or two things in the trad "canon" that we don't own and don't miss.

I've never had boat shoes. My desire to own boat shoes is very limited -- I'd wear a pair, but I'd rather have weejuns or sneakers (I wear Merrel sandals to, y'know, actually mess around in boats).

Elmer Zilch

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Boat shoes, yeah. I still associate topsiders with their incredible ubiquity after the OPH came out. They quickly went from kind of cool to the favored casual shoe of middle managers everywhere. I see them now and still think, "assistant to the head of IT at a Midwestern real-estate firm." Unfair, I know, but it's a connection that I just can't shake.

wacolo

I have never gotten club collars. Also I have a few GTH sportcoats, but the trousers never worked for me. And tassel and bit loafers, just pennies for me.

Last edited:

TradThrifter

I can't do GTH stuff any more. I just look like a pure homosexual. I'm not in a fraternity or a frat college so there is no question.

Reuben

Honors Member
Club collars, bit loafers, patchwork madras, chukkas/desert boots, sack jackets/suits for black tie and business suits, knit ties (though I'm getting over this), weejuns, and I'm on the fence about tassel loafers.

Dieu et les Dames

The image of boat shoes has been tainted by landlubbers. They are still a practical choice for those us who actually live on the water and enjoy a leisurely lifestyle.

benjclark

Personally: Tassel loafers, "Southern" stuff (ie, anything in a bright pastel), nautical affectations, ...

godan

Elite Member
The plaid linings, usually visible at throat, of Harrington/Barracuta/G9 model jackets add a dash of unwelcome color. I love the jacket style and am always attentive when LE, LLB or another trustworthy vendor offers one that is either unlined or lined with something the same color as the outside.

Tilton

Elite Member
Patchwork everything (with the exception of some of the old Lily Pulitzer men's stuff that was patchwork all made from the same print). Never looks good. Fall-color patchwork always reminds me of the early 2000's hippie revival.

Reuben

Honors Member
Burgundy wool foulard patchwork tie?

Patchwork everything (with the exception of some of the old Lily Pulitzer men's stuff that was patchwork all made from the same print). Never looks good. Fall-color patchwork always reminds me of the early 2000's hippie revival.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange