Trad classics you just don't like?

DownSouth

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Personally: Tassel loafers, "Southern" stuff (ie, anything in a bright pastel), nautical affectations, ...

I'll have to agree on the "Southern" stuff. I do own about a dozen Southern Tide polos and like their colors and style. But folks have gotten carried away with all the Southern Marsh, Southern Proper, etc. Too much of a good thing.

Walter Denton

I enjoy wearing madras shirts and sport coats but I really wouldn't wear anything patch or "fun". I have never worn a bow tie but I don't necessarily have any objection to them. Other than that I have probably worn just about everything in the ivy/trad realm.

Tilton

Elite Member
I'll have to agree on the "Southern" stuff. I do own about a dozen Southern Tide polos and like their colors and style. But folks have gotten carried away with all the Southern Marsh, Southern Proper, etc. Too much of a good thing.

Frankly, Southern Tide is the only one making anything worth buying. I remember when Southern Proper was big and two years after that caught on, there was ST - "oh another one of ​those". I'm glad ST decided to pursue a perfect item when Souther Proper aimed to copy Vineyard Vines and just change the logo.

Reuben

Honors Member
Frankly, Southern Tide is the only one making anything worth buying. I remember when Southern Proper was big and two years after that caught on, there was ST - "oh another one of ​those". I'm glad ST decided to pursue a perfect item when Souther Proper aimed to copy Vineyard Vines and just change the logo.

I've always thought Southern Proper took Vineyard Vines and improved it quite a bit. I dislike most of the Vineyard Vines print ties I've seen but love many of the Southern Proper. Part of that is a regional thing, part of that is Southern Proper working with W. M. Lamb & Sons to get some really great artwork, but I really think SP does a better job with their prints. I've got this azalea bow tie, and I'm seriously considering their garden & gun necktie:

azalea_beau.jpg

file_2_59.jpg

plupy

Funny to hear you guys hating on Shaggy Dog sweaters. I'm a shetland sweater fanatic and have been since high school 35 years ago but I never even bothered to check them out at Press because they were so expensive -- so I never knew about their extra shagginess -- figured they were like any other Brooks/Alan Paine shetland. Then a few years ago I scored one for cheap on eBay. When it arrived I took one look and assumed the previous owner had mistakenly run it through the dryer, causing the extra shagginess. Didn't bother complaining and tossed it in my outgoing Goodwill bag. Only a good while later did I learn that shagginess is part of the thing's appeal. Might have to give the Dog another try one of these days.

plupy

Re J. Press flap pocket, I'm a fanatic of them too. An elderly prep/trad guy I knew, now deceased, told me it was J Press's way of identifying their shirts back in the day before (ugh) logos on clothing. He said in the publishing/media world of NYC in the early sixties you could walk into certain bars after work and tell the different clusters of men apart by the shirts they wore -- the fashionable cosmopolitan types had no pocket, regular joes had the standard pocket and the Ivy League guys had the J. Press flap pocket, which you could spot from across the room. History lesson over!

universitystripe

Funny to hear you guys hating on Shaggy Dog sweaters. I'm a shetland sweater fanatic and have been since high school 35 years ago but I never even bothered to check them out at Press because they were so expensive -- so I never knew about their extra shagginess -- figured they were like any other Brooks/Alan Paine shetland. Then a few years ago I scored one for cheap on eBay. When it arrived I took one look and assumed the previous owner had mistakenly run it through the dryer, causing the extra shagginess. Didn't bother complaining and tossed it in my outgoing Goodwill bag. Only a good while later did I learn that shagginess is part of the thing's appeal. Might have to give the Dog another try one of these days.

What's in a name, right? ;)

universitystripe

I've always thought Southern Proper took Vineyard Vines and improved it quite a bit. I dislike most of the Vineyard Vines print ties I've seen but love many of the Southern Proper. Part of that is a regional thing, part of that is Southern Proper working with W. M. Lamb & Sons to get some really great artwork, but I really think SP does a better job with their prints. I've got this azalea bow tie, and I'm seriously considering their garden & gun necktie.

I, too, really like Southern Proper's ties. I plan on purchasing a few for this Summer. The patterns can't be beat.

WillBarrett

I've heard great things about ST polos and khakis. I'm thinking about a pair of Channel Markers myself. I agree on the SP ties, and I admit I have a few SM tees for beer runs with the wife and trips to the farmer's market.

Tilton

Elite Member
Reuben, I do like some of the designs from SP, but I have owned two of their bow ties and both were completely shredded beyond use after 2-3 wearings from my freshly-shaved stubbly neck/chin. I have owned and worn a lot of bow ties and I have never had any problems like that. One is a fluke, two is confirmation.

Their polos and OCBDs are (or, were a couple years ago - the last time I cared to look at one) horrible stuff, too.

Yes, SP is basically just a regionally adjusted VV but, in all actuality, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that SP would have ever existed had VV not first existed.

Reuben

Honors Member
Their polos and OCBDs are (or, were a couple years ago - the last time I cared to look at one) horrible stuff, too.

Yes, SP is basically just a regionally adjusted VV but, in all actuality, it is EXTREMELY unlikely that SP would have ever existed had VV not first existed.

Completely agree with both of these things. I wouldn't buy anything other than their ties and bow ties for myself. As for the shredding, I haven't noticed this to be a problem for me but my facial hair isn't all that coarse, either.

Kreiger

I wanted to say that I pretty much like everything. I don't wear patchwork/GTH, but I like it. Like bit loafers. Like tassel loafers. Like bow-ties, bucks, shaggy dogs, madras, knit ties. I don't wear popovers, but sure, they are ok.

Then I remembered: I hate corduroy pants. Not just with critters or w/e, but all corduroy. It looks fine on other people, I guess, but I've never been able to wear a pair for more than a few minutes in the changing-room. Maybe I don't like the texture, which is weird because I love moleskins.

I also don't really like (don't know if they are trad or not): AE McAlisters and other short-wing shoes. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't like how they look.

Enrique Shockwave

I wanted to say that I pretty much like everything. I don't wear patchwork/GTH, but I like it. Like bit loafers. Like tassel loafers. Like bow-ties, bucks, shaggy dogs, madras, knit ties. I don't wear popovers, but sure, they are ok.

Then I remembered: I hate corduroy pants. Not just with critters or w/e, but all corduroy. It looks fine on other people, I guess, but I've never been able to wear a pair for more than a few minutes in the changing-room. Maybe I don't like the texture, which is weird because I love moleskins.

I also don't really like (don't know if they are trad or not): AE McAlisters and other short-wing shoes. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't like how they look.

I have to agree on the corduroy. To me, it looks terribly outdated and I can't stand wearing it.

plupy

I know ... you'd have thought I would have put two and two together, right? Thing is, I only wore/wear vintage shetland sweaters, and many of them were/are plenty "shaggy" (some to the point of holes in the elbows) so I figured Press was just embracing that spirit.
What's in a name, right? ;)

mjo_1

I feel like a bow tie, particularly on a young person, makes one look like an absolute dork. The sole exception for this is with a tuxedo or dinner jacket.

As a young(er) person and owner of many bow ties, I agree that this is often the outcome seen today. However, they key to making a bow look good is getting all of the other details right.

For example: Self-tied repp or foulard bow, traditionally cut solid or uni striped ocbd with long button down collar, properly tailored full-ish pants/blazer, and decent leather soled shoes looks nice.

But a fake looking bow, tight checked shirt with tiny collar, too short jacket pulling at the button, and "skinny" trousers = dorky/hipster/etc.

Tilton

Elite Member
As a young(er) person and owner of many bow ties, I agree that this is often the outcome seen today. However, they key to making a bow look good is getting all of the other details right.

For example: Self-tied repp or foulard bow, traditionally cut solid or uni striped ocbd with long button down collar, properly tailored full-ish pants/blazer, and decent leather soled shoes looks nice.

But a fake looking bow, tight checked shirt with tiny collar, too short jacket pulling at the button, and "skinny" trousers = dorky/hipster/etc.

Eliminating the ironic/hipster bowtie looks you mentioned, IME, bowties go one of two ways: old guard/academic or southern frat bro. The former is accomplished with sweaters, tweeds, flannels, etc. The latter is done with khakis or GTH pants, blazers, pennies and/or Topsiders, etc. To me, neither is a bad thing and I happily wear both looks with or without a bowtie.

Jovan

Honors Member
You guys against the bow tie are no fun. I need more bow ties, man. Especially the repp stripe, 2" wide, diamond tip kind. It strikes the right balance between traditional and just rakish enough.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.