HalfLegend

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Hello fellow forumites. You probably have seen my thread about my dilemma, but here's the link.
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/com...ess-Trad-in-High-school&p=1150079#post1150079

Many have suggested to post something about the clothing I needed to assemble a proper wardrobe and I didn't know where to do it but you guys in the Trad section have been awful helpful so I figured there was no better place.

As the thread and well the whole forum have said there are a few trad staples. OCBD, sweaters, cardigans, khakis and the like seem to be it. I feel bad for asking like this but I was hoping some of you guys had some spare garments laying around I could "take off your hands".

I havn't been able to get myself measured but what I do know is I'm 17, 145 lbs, and 5' 6".
I wear a 32x30 pants and
15.5x32/33 dress shirt. So that puts me at a medium in sports shirts and cardigans?
I'm a tad on the heavier side but do have broader shoulders. If you could either PM me or post here I'll check back often. Right now I don't have my own PayPal but hopefully we can work something out!

Many many thanks,
HalfLegend.

HalfLegend

Quick update, I did get a paypal working. I have a bit on there so if you could PM me or post here with anything you could spare that would be wonderful!

Thanks,
S.

C. Sharp

I read the thread and there are certainly people that can help you. Since you are 17 I would suggest having a conversation with your parents about your interests and the fact that you have been on the forum if you have not already.

HalfLegend

Great! Welcome. You have gotten yourself in with a good bunch, I am sure they will take care of you. Start slow and enjoy the process.
Oh, I've noticed you guys do look out for your own. And yes, I already am enjoying.

I'll keep an eye peeled for you on my thrifting expeditions.
Thanks a bunch TE, I appreciate every little bit!

And hookem, it does help to just post here, sooner or later after I look around at whats out there Ill send some PM backs and offer what I can.

Many Thanks,
S.

jean-paul sartorial

HalfLegend,

I suspect that you are more of an S than an M and you will wear a waist size smaller than 32 on many pants though of course these things vary tremendously depending on brand.

I may have some pants and shirts for you. The only thing is I should be larger and fatter than you and yet the pants would all be 30 or 31 in the waist and the shirts would be size S.

You say money is a concern, and I would hate for you to score a bunch of nice pants/shirts for free or cheap only to find them not fit you or you have to drop $25-30 at the tailor to have them altered.

HalfLegend

HalfLegend,

I suspect that you are more of an S than an M and you will wear a waist size smaller than 32 on many pants though of course these things vary tremendously depending on brand.

I may have some pants and shirts for you. The only thing is I should be larger and fatter than you and yet the pants would all be 30 or 31 in the waist and the shirts would be size S.

You say money is a concern, and I would hate for you to score a bunch of nice pants/shirts for free or cheap only to find them not fit you or you have to drop $25-30 at the tailor to have them altered.
JP, I agree with pretty much you said in this. I judge based on my GAP pants, which by esquires little comparison article ranks about in middle for pant fit. Their 32s are just a tad big so a 31 would fit OK. As for shirt, PRL polos I wear a medium comfortably and a large is a bit baggy and a small is skin tight and fits like a wetsuit on me. I judged my measurments of that, but you guys do know best... what would you suggest? If you say that you fit into a small fine then by all means, ill bet I do too!

Bookkeeper

I judge based on my GAP pants, which by esquires little comparison article ranks about in middle for pant fit. Their 32s are just a tad big so a 31 would fit OK.
Abram Sauer of Esquire did a quick investigation of "vanity sizing" in men's pants. Turns out a 32 is probably not 32 inches at all. He looked at tagged 36's in a variety of brands. GAP 36 measured 39 inches. Something to think about.

HalfLegend

Abram Sauer of Esquire did a quick investigation of "vanity sizing" in men's pants. Turns out a 32 is probably not 32 inches at all. He looked at tagged 36's in a variety of brands. GAP 36 measured 39 inches. Something to think about.
Yep, this is the measure I'm referring to. Since GAP ranked about middle I figured it'd be a good enough estimate of what pant size I should wear.

And on another note, if anyone has some spare Polos those would be great. In Lacoste I wear a 5-6, and PRL a M or L.

Many thanks,
S.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.