official Trad Forum Renaming: Looking for suggestions

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
It's time for us to rename the Ask Andy Trad Forum, and we're looking for suggestions.

Criteria:
- Dropping the word "forum"
- Removing the word "Andy's" prefix to shorten the overall name
- It should be somewhat short (2-3 words)
- Easy to spell -- people should be able to spell it when hearing it :)

Some names we've discussed so far:

1. Trad Talk
2. TNSIL Town
3. American Trad (or American Traditional)
4. Trad Style

Thoughts?

We're also renaming the Fashion Forum:
https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/threads/fashion-forum-renaming.243055/

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
American Traditional

The thought being that AAAC is mainly a clothing site, so "clothing" is implied and doesn't need to be part of the name. As to "Traditional," "Trad" is kinda an inside-baseball term, but "American Traditional" (clothing implied) is both accurately descriptive and proud.

A "newbie" to and vet of AAAC would immediately know what the section is about.

To be sure, "American Trad" would work too, but I like "Traditional" more than "Trad" for the reason noted above.

Lastly, in the era of "Trad," ('30s-'60s), naming tended to be (not always though) fully descriptive and straightforward, so "American Traditional," at least to my ear, sounds of the period.

poppies

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
American Traditional

The thought being that AAAC is mainly a clothing site, so "clothing" is implied and doesn't need to be part of the name. As to "Traditional," "Trad" is kinda an inside-baseball term, but "American Traditional" (clothing implied) is both accurately descriptive and proud.

To be sure, "American Trad" would work too, but I like "Traditional" more than "Trad" for the reason noted above.

Lastly, in the era of "Trad," ('30s-'60s), naming tended to be (not always though) fully descriptive and straightforward, so "American Traditional," at least to my ear, sounds of the period.

I firmly agree with every argument put forth here by Mr. Fast.

rl1856

The essence of TRAD is that it is relatively unchanging. Some of us bemoan the addition of a 7th front placket button to BB OCBD shirts....and that was 30yr ago......

What would Harris say ? (WWHS)

Dhaller

Elite Member
"Trad" isn't the same thing as "Traditional". Moreover, "Trad" is understood as a distinct clothing fashion with an identifiable origin and a pretty clear set of rules for what is and is not Trad.

So, for example, Bass Weejuns are *instantly* identifiable as Trad because they're a defined element of the fashion.

And didn't the word Trad itself arise in these pages? I think renaming it would just be damaging the AAAC brand.

I'd stick with Trad Forum.

DH

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
"Trad" isn't the same thing as "Traditional". Moreover, "Trad" is understood as a distinct clothing fashion with an identifiable origin and a pretty clear set of rules for what is and is not Trad.

So, for example, Bass Weejuns are *instantly* identifiable as Trad because they're a defined element of the fashion.

And didn't the word Trad itself arise in these pages? I think renaming it would just be damaging the AAAC brand.

I'd stuck with Trad Forum.

DH
And as some were painfully reminded in school, shoes that looked like Bass Weejuns and were quite nice, perhaps even costing more than Bass Weejuns, were not correct and did not conform to the canon!

New Old Stock

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I always thought it was just called 'The Trad Forum', learn something new every day.

Cant really think of what else to call it.... The Decorum Forum?!

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
Wasp nest may be considered culturally insensitive and racist. Could get you canceled.

Well, I've never been cancelled before, so that might be an interesting experience ;)

I was actually joking. I guess my attempt at levity didn't come through in the written word 😬

smmrfld

Elite Member
Just leave it, IMO. There are a few on here that are already taking this clothing preference into the realm of cosplay (shaving, etc.). Why make it worse?

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
Just leave it, IMO.
It's time for a change my friend. The name will be changed.

I figured I'd ask the community first to see if there were any name suggestions that members preferred more. If not, Andy & I will decide.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
American Traditional

I rather like the term American Traditional...it describes the intent of the thread nicely and accurately. I know we are trying to shorten names, but consider this if you will; ' American Traditional; The Inception of a Man's Style.' ;)

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
I rather like the term American Traditional...it describes the intent of the thread nicely and accurately. I know we are trying to shorten names, but consider this if you will; ' American Traditional; The Inception of a Man's Style.' ;)
It is a lovely term. It does not freeze style in one particular time. I think that is wholly appropriate. A very new adopter of traditional dress likely views things that others longing for the 1950s would find modern, perhaps tasteless, yet I can still discern in their dress that they have more linkage to the long tradition than do most of their age.

fishertw

Elite Member
I agree with Eagle. American Traditional can encompass both a Preppie Trad and a conservative continuation of classic post war collegiate styles that many of us started with in the 50's and continue to favor.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange