official Trad Forum Renaming: Looking for suggestions

drpeter

I like the Anglo-American idea and agree there are deep roots in Britain. I find it interesting, however, that mention of British style evokes in my imagination navy suits with suppressed waists and double vents, trousers without cuffs, black oxfords, spread collar shirts with French cuffs, and highly fashionable ties, all lovely but not appealing to certain American Trads, even though they love their Shetland sweaters and Barbour coats. We are an enigmatic group with several subgroups.
That's interesting. What British style evokes in your mind is more recent and contemporary, perhaps, than the earlier styles I was alluding to, from the mid-twentieth century or therabouts. And certainly more of a town look than the English country gentleman look that is reflected in Trad.There are also different British styles. Huntsman will dress their clients in a manner quite radically different from Anderson and Sheppard, for example. And similarly, there are different American styles. In a sense we are looking at a style that is more or less frozen in time (some might even say fossilized, LOL).

Actually, the problem with Anglo-American or even American is what you have put your finger on -- it is too general and there are too many subgroups. But if you add Trad to either label, then you have pinpointed a specific group with serviceable accuracy, wouldn't you say? Just thinking aloud.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I like the Anglo-American idea and agree there are deep roots in Britain. I find it interesting, however, that mention of British style evokes in my imagination navy suits with suppressed waists and double vents, trousers without cuffs, black oxfords, spread collar shirts with French cuffs, and highly fashionable ties, all lovely but not appealing to certain American Trads, even though they love their Shetland sweaters and Barbour coats. We are an enigmatic group with several subgroups.

Your point about the suppressed waists, etc., is why I lean to keeping it "American," but I see the argument and, as per my next comment, am very open.

Well said. I agree that we can refer to styles, cuisines and even demeanor or practice (the Gallic shrug? Gasconading? Going Dutch?) by national or regional names. In that sense, American Traditional would not pose a problem. My concern is with denoting the entire forum using a name with a national reference. This is why I thought something like Trad Style would be appropriate -- it anchors the core essence in a look cultivated mainly by men with an Ivy League connection, which seems to be the heart of the Trad look. And without bringing in a national reference. But I'll leave it to the majority here, I don't have huge problems with any of the suggested names -- well, maybe not Trad Apples, LOL.

"I don't have huge problems with any of the suggested names -- well, maybe not Trad Apples"

Agreed and LOL.

Just want to repeat, no name will be perfect. Every name can be challenged. I went with "American Traditional" as I thought it balanced a lot of different facets, but it is, in no way, perfect. But what name will be?

Last edited:

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
But may I ask why it is time for a change? Have there been problems or issues with the current name? Have members complained about it? Just so I understand.
I've tried to explain this at least a couple times here, but it appears without success.

If you review my OP, we're removing the word "forum" from our site structure vocabulary, and moving to the more current terminologies of "community" and "topics". You should be able to see that we've already changed the terminology in at least 2 or 3 places already.

Also, to be consistent across the board, we're removing the "Andy's" prefix from two forums.

So, instead of calling this forum (board) just "Trad", we wanted to give it a fitting name. I thought it would be nice to ask the community their opinion.

And to provide further transparency, we're making lots of changes to see if we can counteract the last 3 years of massive traffic declines that have occurred due to Google updating it's search algorithms. A major one occurred (a Google Core Update) in early May 2020, that just devastated our site traffic.

We rely on Google to bring in traffic, so when they make changes, it can, and has, affected us overnight. Since we don't charge visitors or members to use the site, we monetize via ads based on traffic. Less traffic equals less revenue.

For this site to be viable long term, we have to make changes concurrent with the Search Engine rules changes. If we do nothing, well, I think you get the picture.

I'm not here to debate whether or not we should change, or whether or not some of the changes will or won't make a difference. These minor name changes won't likely make any difference from position in SERPs (where we rank in Google). But, they will put us on a path to staying current.

We're doing many other things too, such as building out our longer-form content on our website, and updating the UI/UX of the entire site over the next 6 months.

The truth is, we don't know (and nobody else really knows) what exactly we can do to counteract the traffic declines to our site, but we have to try as many logical & practical things as possible.

There's more -- but too much to get into here. Hopefully what I've mentioned above enough for most to understand why we're making certain changes.

Andy and I have decided on Trad Style as the new name for this forum.

Thank you to everyone who has provided input.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I've tried to explain this at least a couple times here, but it appears without success.

If you review my OP, we're removing the word "forum" from our site structure vocabulary, and moving to the more current terminologies of "community" and "topics". You should be able to see that we've already changed the terminology in at least 2 or 3 places already.

Also, to be consistent across the board, we're removing the "Andy's" prefix from two forums.

So, instead of calling this forum (board) just "Trad", we wanted to give it a fitting name. I thought it would be nice to ask the community their opinion.

And to provide further transparency, we're making lots of changes to see if we can counteract the last 3 years of massive traffic declines that have occurred due to Google updating it's search algorithms. A major one occurred (a Google Core Update) in early May 2020, that just devastated our site traffic.

We rely on Google to bring in traffic, so when they make changes, it can, and has, affected us overnight. Since we don't charge visitors or members to use the site, we monetize via ads based on traffic. Less traffic equals less revenue.

For this site to be viable long term, we have to make changes concurrent with the Search Engine rules changes. If we do nothing, well, I think you get the picture.

I'm not here to debate whether or not we should change, or whether or not some of the changes will or won't make a difference. These minor name changes won't likely make any difference from position in SERPs (where we rank in Google). But, they will put us on a path to staying current.

We're doing many other things too, such as building out our longer-form content on our website, and updating the UI/UX of the entire site over the next 6 months.

The truth is, we don't know (and nobody else really knows) what exactly we can do to counteract the traffic declines to our site, but we have to try as many logical & practical things as possible.

There's more -- but too much to get into here. Hopefully what I've mentioned above enough for most to understand why we're making certain changes.

You are a gentleman for putting in the time to repeat and expand on your explanation.

I, as just one voice, am very happy with the new name and, more importantly, I hope your and Andy's larger effort is successful in increasing traffic to the site.

Thank you for your time and engagement on this.

Vecchio Vespa

(aka TKI67)
That's interesting. What British style evokes in your mind is more recent and contemporary, perhaps, than the earlier styles I was alluding to, from the mid-twentieth century or therabouts. And certainly more of a town look than the English country gentleman look that is reflected in Trad.There are also different British styles. Huntsman will dress their clients in a manner quite radically different from Anderson and Sheppard, for example. And similarly, there are different American styles. In a sense we are looking at a style that is more or less frozen in time (some might even say fossilized, LOL).

Actually, the problem with Anglo-American or even American is what you have put your finger on -- it is too general and there are too many subgroups. But if you add Trad to either label, then you have pinpointed a specific group with serviceable accuracy, wouldn't you say? Just thinking aloud.
It is pinpointing that is the challenge. Old Norman Hilton ads and guys in ACK reds do not have a lot of common ground.

drpeter

Thanks very much indeed for this detailed explanation. After I made my request I went back to your original post and found that some of my questions had already been answered there. My sincere apologies for not doing this before I wrote. I was remiss, and I am sorry.

That said, I want to say I very much like the new name. I think it captures the essence of the forum in a crisp and concise way.

Now, I had no idea of the traffic decline as result of the changes Google made. That is certainly bad news. I understand that the search algorithms are not within our control, but is there anything we, as members, can do to help? I really like these forums and enjoy our discussions, and I have made some fine friendships here. I would hate to see the forum decline in any way, so kindly let us know what we could do to assist.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
is there anything we, as members, can do to help?
Thank you for asking, and for the offer of help.

The best way the entire community can help us is to:
  • Keep discussions as active as they can be, practically speaking
  • Share links of interest from here (articles or discussion threads) in your social media (Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Other)
  • Mention us on IG @askandyaboutclothes
  • Mention us on other sites that you frequently visit -- even if it's not practical to share a link to us, a mention would be most appreciated
  • If you have a website or blog, any backlinks or mentions with backlinks to us (or specific articles or threads) would also be appreciated
Share my explanation in the post above with as many members here as possible so they can better understand why we're making changes, and let them know how they can help.

Thanks again for asking. I really appreciate it.

drpeter

• Share links of interest from here (articles or discussion threads) in your social media (Twitter / Facebook / Pinterest / Other)
  • Mention us on other sites that you frequently visit -- even if it's not practical to share a link to us, a mention would be most appreciated
  • If you have a website or blog, any backlinks or mentions with backlinks to us (or specific articles or threads) would also be appreciated
Share my explanation in the post above with as many members here as possible so they can better understand why we're making changes, and let them know how they can help.

I'll do my best to spread the word. Thanks for these suggestions.

delicious_scent

Elite Member

I wonder if turning off my adblock would mean anything?

I've had it on for years!

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
I wonder if turning off my adblock would mean anything?
I appreciate that offer, for sure. That said, I would rather you have an experience you enjoy here, where you participate regularly (as you currently do), than be annoyed that you're seeing ads :)

Social shares, mentions, and other backlinks would be equally appreciated!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange