Flanderian

Connoisseur
Of course, we need only go back to the genuine article from the '50's, '40's or '30's (Anyone remember #1 son?), but among the contemporary crop, what stands out? Spare me Metropolitan, claustrophobic and dull with colorless characters.

My money's on The Good Shepherd. A pretty good film with, with very good clothes. True to life. Quality clothes worn by quality people. A treat for the eye.

Last edited:

Sartre

Just saw a re-run of The Accidental Tourist, pretty good trad garb in that movie.

tjs

P.S. On Metropolitan: how dare you! Claustrophobic, yes, but hardly colorless characters.

Zot!

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Not exactly conteporary, but after the 60's, would be Body Heat from '81. A lot of searsucker and other southern/summer trad staples. Kathleen Turner in her white dress, while not exactly trad, is also nice to look at. :devil:

AldenPyle

Honors Member
Though I loved Barcelona , I can't say I liked Metropolitan that much. I basically agree with Flanderian. Claustrophobic was kind of the point, but the lead actor and the (very cute) actress who played Audrey Roget were stiff. Especially, after Eigemann leaves the scene, colorless is pretty on the nose. Probably, if I had seen it when I was younger, it might have meant more to me and surely its better than St. Elmo's Fire or other John Hughes kind of stuff.

Flashy

"The Good Shepard" was a bit disappointing all around. Far better was TNT's production of Robert Littel's novel, "The Company". Great costumes, geat acting byt Alfred Molina and Michael Keaton as Jim Angelton. And Chis O'Donnell is just all around move convincing as the all-American, boy scout type, than Matt Damon.

A.Squire

Honors Member
Not exactly conteporary, but after the 60's, would be Body Heat from '81. A lot of searsucker and other southern/summer trad staples. Kathleen Turner in her white dress, while not exactly trad, is also nice to look at. :devil:
I agree, but don't bother to look her up, she hasn't aged well.

Last edited:

Quay

Sure it's been discussed before but they keep making movies and people here keep seeing old movies for the first time. Always something to talk about over drinks. :icon_smile: The movie version of The Lawrencevile Stories is ace. A fellow forum member told me about it recently and I finally found it on VHS through Ebay. Wonderful movie and definitely full of Trad things, even union suits, about the most old-fashioned undergarments one could wear this side of a cod piece.

Cordially,
A.Q.

DiogenesClub

Starting Member
When Berkley's landlord asks, "You're not one of those agitators, those outside agitators?" that quote is etched forever in my memory. It is right up there with him pounding on the glass in the church. Downright primal! Turner needs to take the air of Gloria Swanson in Sunset Blvd., "I am big. It's the pictures that got small."

Zot!

When Berkley's landlord asks, "You're not one of those agitators, those outside agitators?" that quote is etched forever in my memory. It is right up there with him pounding on the glass in the church. Downright primal! Turner needs to take the air of Gloria Swanson in Sunset Blvd., "I am big. It's the pictures that got small."
I always remember Ben waving the cross around to keep the wedding party at bay, before using it to block the door shut. The film also contains some nice scenes of the now demolished Ambassador Hotel. I'm not normally a mean-spirited person, but if a city voluntarily abuses its architectural treasures that way (see also the current state of the famous Brown Derby "hat") it almost deserves to loose them in the Big One. At one point I used to stick up for LA when people around the Bay Area made smart remarks about it, but every now and then they do something so boneheaded it makes it impossible to defend them.

Last edited:

TMMKC

Honors Member
How could we forget the truly awful "B" comedy "Making the Grade" starring Judd Nelson, Gordon Jump and Andrew Dice Clay? This movie is so bad, it's good. I even own a copy as a guilty pleasure. Great trad clothes, though.

Caddy: Ladies and gentlemen, it looks like, yes it is! It's slicing toward the elm trees!
Palmer Woodrow: Who are you, Curt f**king Gowdy?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.